19 replies to this topic

#1 Waelsleaht

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:25 PM

I normally run a tower with high end capability and really fast internet but due to RL situations I've found myself for the time being using a laptop with basic internet for the week.

So going from way more than enough comp power to minimum specs with not so fast internet I can say now that I feel bad and no longer wonder why it's so hard for some people to aim/shoot/track targets. Even move properly without running into things.

It's amazing the difference between the two. Any other game I've played in the past there wasn't nearly the same gap between the two.

Everything is a lot more difficult to do. Especially the new gauss mechanic. Anyone ells had a chance to play from multiple specs?

#2 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Before I built my rig, I played CB on my dad's laptop. 12 fps vs. 60. The effects were like you said; it was very difficult to pilot lights.

#3 MonkeyDCecil

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 426 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:37 PM

Yes, before I upgraded my comp. I had a hell of a time hitting anything moving fast. Now it is not so bad. But I am unable to use gauss. Either it is my lack of skill or how the games perform on my comp., probably my skill. Anyway comp specs count.

#4 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:46 PM

Press F9 to see your FPS.
I'm running ~23 in most fights, with a ~160 ping. I can definitely feel a sharp increase in difficulty when aiming at distant moving targets. I'm still above 55% accuracy with all of the weapons I use, so at least that's something...
Oh well, at least sub-400 meter brawling is entertaining in an Atlas.

#5 Warrax the Chaos Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 925 posts
  • LocationMyrror

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:54 PM

I put together brand new rig back in may, so I played through CB and part of OB with a ~5 year old machine. I definitely do not miss having to time my shots around my framerate, it was like lag-shooting X2. Also had to rely a lot on lasers and guided missiles back then. Yea, there's no way I could go back to that.

#6 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 06:55 PM

My rig's due an upgrade and it's developed an irritating quirk with MW:O where occasionally I'll have matches with massive FPS fluctuations with no apparent relation to screen activity beyond draw distance (like, 30fps down to 10fps fluctuation) whereupon my ability to hit **** all goes completely out of the window (unless I'm in a light, at which point I get very good at hitting static objects with my nosecone).

#7 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 08:07 PM

I just fixed my shiternet its so much easier to hit light mechs when not smashing you key board and yelling at your screen. lul
I think a lot of people struggle with lights because of poor fps and ping. I just truned my power saving options off on my cpu it gave me a large boost in fps for some reason my cpu would not clock up high for MWO even with good temps. I7 960 4.35ghz 6970 900mhz

Edited by Ecrof, 24 September 2013 - 08:07 PM.

#8 A Man In A Can

• 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 24 September 2013 - 09:05 PM

I can attest to this. Just went from a non-1080 non-HD monitor as I was just visiting family for two weeks and had settings that allowed me to hit mechs very well with gauss rifles, even with periodic super-high ping spikes.

Now I came back to my 31in 1080HD monitor (didn't change settings at all) and now I'm having a hell of a time adjusting, especially when tracking lights. No ping spikes, but it's like I have less reaction time now.

Crazy that this experience would make me want to have that older smaller monitor back.

Edited by CYBRN4CR, 24 September 2013 - 09:06 PM.

#9 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:32 AM

There's a reason my best mechs are ones running a lot of SRMs. At 10 FPS it's hard to aim ballistics consistently, and getting in close, alpha striking, and twisting while I reload, is the best way to deal with the framerate issues.

The CN9-A is a hero for low spec computers. Run around fast, blow off chunks of mechs, and don't get punished for it because of zombie mode. I do great on it at 10FPS I can only imagine the terror if I could land 95% of my SRM shots instead of 65%.

#10 Cycleboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM

View PostCYBRN4CR, on 24 September 2013 - 09:05 PM, said:

I can attest to this. Just went from a non-1080 non-HD monitor as I was just visiting family for two weeks and had settings that allowed me to hit mechs very well with gauss rifles, even with periodic super-high ping spikes.

Now I came back to my 31in 1080HD monitor (didn't change settings at all) and now I'm having a hell of a time adjusting, especially when tracking lights. No ping spikes, but it's like I have less reaction time now.

Crazy that this experience would make me want to have that older smaller monitor back.

^^^ This... can some comp-wiz explain this a bit? I don't have $$$ to build the new rig I want, so I'm using my laptop... Acer i5, 4GB Ram, 480M vid, with 17" screen... and was doing alright. Got used to everything, but keep setting low. Couple weeks ago I plugged my 22" monitor into the output and closed the laptop so I can play with a bigger view... and it seems like my mouse travel distance shrank... movement seems less responsive in lights... targetting more erratic and not as smooth. What's up with that?

I'll have to test this later... go back to native screen for a match or two, plug in big monitor for a couple. Check the feel.

#11 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,622 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

The biggest problem I have is my frame rate will drop sometimes for seemingly no reason. So I will normally be running 25-35fps if I'm just running along or in the middle of a 24 person battle but other times when I'm running along or in the middle of a 24 person battle it will drop to as low as 15fps and sometimes stay there. Which is really weird to me since I'm used to things only slowing down when theres a lot going on but in this game it doesn't seem to matter. The other issue is sometimes it will sort of freeze for half a second and that really throws me off.

I also wonder if maybe some of this has something to do with the hitreg problems. Like maybe it looks like your hitting but since your computer isn't keeping up you actually don't. I know it shouldn't have that affect but could be a weird glitch and I know that some games can be affected by input lag caused by graphic settings like AA, AF, and Vsync.

Oh and anybody looking for upgrades there might be a price drop on video cards really soon since AMD is showing its new video cards today (supposed to release in October). Supposedly they will be very fast and will push the prices of the current cards down. Which is what I'm hoping for since I just got a new higher res monitor and now will really need a video card upgrade.

Edited by dario03, 25 September 2013 - 11:28 AM.

#12 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

smaller monitor = fewer pixels = less computational power required even I you're using the same settings.

#13 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

View PostCycleboy, on 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

^^^ This... can some comp-wiz explain this a bit? I don't have $$$ to build the new rig I want, so I'm using my laptop... Acer i5, 4GB Ram, 480M vid, with 17" screen... and was doing alright. Got used to everything, but keep setting low. Couple weeks ago I plugged my 22" monitor into the output and closed the laptop so I can play with a bigger view... and it seems like my mouse travel distance shrank... movement seems less responsive in lights... targetting more erratic and not as smooth. What's up with that?

I'll have to test this later... go back to native screen for a match or two, plug in big monitor for a couple. Check the feel.

Refresh rates. Smaller screen means less pixels, which means better peformance, period, but running outside native makes games look weird.

#14 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:53 PM

Yeah...I used to run this on a 2.1 ghz dual core, with an Nvidia 9700 (REALLY OLD) and 8 gb of memory. Lowest settings, lowest framerate, about 20 fps.

Now I run it on a 3.4 ghz quad core, an Nvidia 660 TI (overclocked) and 32 gb of memory.

Holy {Scrap}, 60+ fps in every situation, including brawling and advanced zoom. Makes a HUGE differences, especially in fast movers and laser/ballistics tracking.

#15 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:56 PM

Thanks, I tried to point this out on the pugs/preamde thread but was stomped on for it. Most new guys and pugs can ill afford to upgrade to become true killers and many just wont accept the number of us running at a complete disadvantage. Compound that with no voip because of computer or ISP issues and anyone can see why noobs don't stay long. I am glad so many here have the latest gear but the majority cannot afford it.
So sick of these guys on the forums telling me to learn to play better and just blowing off our concerns. I got to play on a new computer with HD with my account and I was kicking butt. Now I am back to what i have so i do what I can. I think my ratio is like .67 which to many is {Scrap} but I am nearly legally blind running an old computer on unreliable DSL service. I cant see to read the chat window most often though I have asked several times for PGI to let us increse the font. You tend to feel hate for those who take the lesser of us for granted even though we love the game as much as they do.

#16 Kaldor

• 1,239 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

View PostCycleboy, on 25 September 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

What is the native resolution of the 2 screens? More resolution means you need more power to drive it.

Example: 1680X1050 res monitor takes less resources to drive at the detail than a 1920X1200 res monitor does.

#17 Waelsleaht

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 124 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostMudhutwarrior, on 25 September 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Thanks, I tried to point this out on the pugs/preamde thread but was stomped on for it. Most new guys and pugs can ill afford to upgrade to become true killers and many just wont accept the number of us running at a complete disadvantage. Compound that with no voip because of computer or ISP issues and anyone can see why noobs don't stay long. I am glad so many here have the latest gear but the majority cannot afford it.
So sick of these guys on the forums telling me to learn to play better and just blowing off our concerns. I got to play on a new computer with HD with my account and I was kicking butt. Now I am back to what i have so i do what I can. I think my ratio is like .67 which to many is {Scrap} but I am nearly legally blind running an old computer on unreliable DSL service. I cant see to read the chat window most often though I have asked several times for PGI to let us increse the font. You tend to feel hate for those who take the lesser of us for granted even though we love the game as much as they do.

I fully understand your concern. Being military at times I need to use an old laptop with slow internet but clearly I can't even try to be as competitive as I am with my tower at home. This is the first game I have run into this problem on.

#18 Kaspirikay

• Giant Helper
  • 2,050 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:22 PM

I was running this game in windowed at lowest settings while on my gtx 530. But now, I just got a gtx 660 from zotac and I'm still running it at low. Visuals be damned!

But yes, playing with an Intel potato is hard. Who knew?

#19 Johnny Reb

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,945 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio. However, I hate the Suckeyes!

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostWaelsleaht, on 24 September 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

I normally run a tower with high end capability and really fast internet but due to RL situations I've found myself for the time being using a laptop with basic internet for the week.

So going from way more than enough comp power to minimum specs with not so fast internet I can say now that I feel bad and no longer wonder why it's so hard for some people to aim/shoot/track targets. Even move properly without running into things.

It's amazing the difference between the two. Any other game I've played in the past there wasn't nearly the same gap between the two.

Everything is a lot more difficult to do. Especially the new gauss mechanic. Anyone ells had a chance to play from multiple specs?

I'm good if my fps is at 16+, its when it drops under 10, I have problems.

#20 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:20 AM

Well, I run an MSI GX660 i7 740QM Mobility HD5870 laptop, 4-5 years old technology and it shows,
fps is around 23@1080p, 28@1600x900 (the latter when I'n not at home and don't use my 24" monitor),
every gfx setting on lowest.

I can't play lights with it. Tried, it is impossible, because everything has to be rendered faster, it simply kills the rig, the end result is a 5-10 fps slide-show.
Mediums under 100kph are okay but for example a Cent-D with 350XL 120kph-ish speed givs the above results as well.

So I stick with meds to assaults, speeds < 92, hitting lights/fast moving targets can be frustrating in a quite few situations when my fps plummets.

Ironically I actually enjoyed the PPC/Gauss AC20 meta because with big alphas, because I instantly knwew if whether I hit and that hit registered or not - stuff blew up :P Whereas with lasers/sustained dps weapons, you can paint lights/targets all day long, and you have no way of knowing what the server does and why.

I was planning on buying/building a gaming rig (desktop) but since then I stopped playing, so I've put this on hold. No biggie since I was gonna wait till next generation GPU-s (Q1/Q2 14) anyways.

Until hen I occasionally play War Thunder, gives nice 35-40 FPS with medium settings, of course not Cryengine3 and the objects are smaller too.
But higher FPS translates to better aim/tracking in MWO, for sure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users