A Tale Of 90 Matches (Updated 3. Oct)

136 replies to this topic

#121 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:19 PM

View PostWVAnonymous, on 02 October 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

Anyone have any luck with screen capture and OCR, an actual piece of code, or is everyone still typing numbers...?

I've talked with evilC about writing something but right now the process looks downright painful. I have a general concept but it would be so much easier if PGI would just Log the data they are already sending to the client. Too bad my ATD 46 question didn't get enough votes.

It is worth noting that since the Oct 1 Patch MM isn't trying Weight matching nearly as hard as it was previously.

Edited by scJazz, 02 October 2013 - 04:20 PM.

#122 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:01 PM

What does the comma in something like 8,6 mean? I guess it's some statistics thing...

#123 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostFelio, on 02 October 2013 - 05:01 PM, said:

What does the comma in something like 8,6 mean? I guess it's some statistics thing...

It means the writer is from Europe where , means .

8,6 = 8.6

Strange and impossible to teach are the people from the Old Land :P

#124 Groutknoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hey Alistair and scJazz.

I think hammerreborn may have something scans the mission summary for data. May some tweaks for all the data your wanting but it may be worth getting in contact with.

link to a tourny data collection.
http://mwomercs.com/...enge-need-help/

#125 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

Nice to see people documenting actual numbers/results. Wish there were more lights/mediums in game...actually, just more mediums.

View PostNamesAreStupid, on 01 October 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

I'm better in my 8q than you in any other mech, hmmm....
Posted Image

How the hell do you do that? My overall KDR is 1.36 but my 8Q's is 0.60 (27/45). I have not found an efficient way to build one for my playstyle. As it currently stands, I think I'm running 2 PPC/2 LL/2ML/TAG with a STD 300.

#126 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:53 PM

Sorry for not doing the "meta-analysis" with combined stats from all 90 matches sooner. If, by any chance, you guys have screenshots of all the matches you gathered statistics from. that would add a great deal of credibility to this little project. Even though, of course, screenshots can be fixed, but let's not go full re-tard and make a tinfoil sombrero.

@Groutknoll: Thanks, I've been talking to hammerreborn, and he had a very useful spreadsheet for me. Didn't mention anything about scanning software though.

@ScJazz: Let it be known that the magical realm of logic and metric does not include Great Britain, with their prehistoric units of measurements of stones and feet, and their full stops in numbers.

#127 New Day

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,394 posts
  • LocationEye of Terror

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:32 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 03 October 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

Nice to see people documenting actual numbers/results. Wish there were more lights/mediums in game...actually, just more mediums.

How the hell do you do that? My overall KDR is 1.36 but my 8Q's is 0.60 (27/45). I have not found an efficient way to build one for my playstyle. As it currently stands, I think I'm running 2 PPC/2 LL/2ML/TAG with a STD 300.

I think it was that build (swap tag for ML). I also ran a 4/5 LL (not sure) before heat penalty. An ERLL build also works.

Edited by NamesAreStupid, 03 October 2013 - 02:33 PM.

#128 keith

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostAC, on 01 October 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

haha, it was a joke, but it got quite the reaction.

More seriously though, since you answered me seriously.... You are 100% correct. If PGI presented us with the server stats, I am sure we as a community have enough skilled people in the Statistics area to run legitimate statistical tests to help them balance the game based on what the community as a whole is doing in matches.

I can pretty much guess that PGI doesn't have the skill to run these tests themselves, but nor should we expect them to. They are programmers and developers and artists. I really wish they would trust the community more and allow us to help them. It would go a long way to build some of the trust that was lost recently, not to mention.... IT IS FREE HELP! lol ;)

almost the wrong point to have. pgi needs to have a stats guy, i'm sure with all their programers they can kinda do it. thought looking at this stuff do kinda make me worry. unless they do a damn good blackmarket in CW. like kintro is dirt cheap, no one will use it. u did the NBT thing long ago, u know what i mean. sometimes u just use a mech because u have to with the funds u got. that sort of triple balancing act in their part

#129 MustrumRidcully

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostscJazz, on 02 October 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

It means the writer is from Europe where , means .

8,6 = 8.6

Strange and impossible to teach are the people from the Old Land :lol:

Says the guy still using inches and pound? :D

#130 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:42 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 October 2013 - 01:53 PM, said:

Sorry for not doing the "meta-analysis" with combined stats from all 90 matches sooner. If, by any chance, you guys have screenshots of all the matches you gathered statistics from. that would add a great deal of credibility to this little project. Even though, of course, screenshots can be fixed, but let's not go full re-tard and make a tinfoil sombrero.

We have to be careful on sharing screenshots due to Name and Shame, at least on the forums. What we could do is designate one person to verify the info and just send them the screenshots, kinda put together a master spreadsheet for this.

#131 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:35 AM

The "meta analysis" wouldn't really be all that substantial. There are so many factors that go into the end results that can't be quantified by a screen shot. At most, what you'll glean from all of this is the mech distribution, percent of ECM capable mechs being utilized, and what mechs people are neglecting. You could even pull in something regarding the most popular among the chasis but that really limits how much you can pull from the data. Still, it is rather interesting.

#132 Sable Dove

• Knight Errant
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 04 October 2013 - 12:55 AM, said:

Says the guy still using inches and pound? :)

Says the guys north of the guys who use inches and pounds, who understand that a comma is completely different from a decimal, and that replacing one with the other creates a horrible abomination of mathematics and/or language.

And for the record, using a comma in the middle of large numbers is almost as bad as using them in place of decimals. How much money do I have? I have one, triple-zero, triple-zero dollars! These things are almost as upsetting as the fact that the Raven's torso is misaligned.

;p

#133 Corwin Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 631 posts
  • LocationChateau, Clan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 04 November 2013 - 11:53 PM

it's called 90 matches but is there a combined analysis of all 90 matches or only individual ones? (I skimmed and never saw a combined)

#134 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:32 AM

View PostCorwin Vickers, on 04 November 2013 - 11:53 PM, said:

it's called 90 matches but is there a combined analysis of all 90 matches or only individual ones? (I skimmed and never saw a combined)

Afraid not. Something to do after this semester's exams, perhaps? :)

#135 Wolf Clearwater

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 571 posts
  • LocationOn your 6...

Posted 17 November 2013 - 09:16 AM

Nicely put together. You have inspired me to keep track of some data myself.

#136 Magic Space Mafia

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 17 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

Keeping track of data is good.

#137 ExAstris

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 22 November 2013 - 06:49 PM

Would love it if players would keep track of ECM counts on each team as well.

It won't have the same (absurdly huge) statistical impact it used to, but my person stats still suggest that it has far too much sway on w/l ratios.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users