#1 Jarl Dane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationJarnFolk Cluster

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:47 PM

What is your reason for choosing to join or support the FRR?

When I was younger I was totally into the clans. Absolutely loved them. Blame Mech Warrior 2. But later on I became a huge fan of everything Norse. I was part of a gaming clan called the Warriors of Aesir (initially on StarCraft) and ended up leading a division for them on Mech Assault 2. Since our clan was Norse I picked the most viking faction, the FRR. We called ourselves the Tyr Regiment and were the only FRR based unit on that game.

Since then I've been stuck on the FRR, although I did cheat a little this time and made my team affiliated with the Jarnfolk =D.

so what was everyone elses reason?

#2 MnDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Location"Vallhalla" 1st Rasalhague Dragonregementë

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Mostly because I'm a fourth generation American immigrant from Norway. I love the Aesir and the Vanir and my ancestors, and one word...MEAD!!!!

#3 martino2k6

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 96 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:35 AM

Before MWO I only played MechWarrior 4 so I didn't know much about the BattleTech universe, neither did I care that much. So when I was picking a faction I read through their brief descriptions somewhere and it seemed to me like FRR was a faction with some character and a structure where people get to enjoy their freedom. Hence FRR it was!

#4 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

I like underdogs and the FRR seems very much that.

#5 Nidhoggr

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 44 posts
  • LocationSTL, USA

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

Two words: space freedom.

#6 N0V0CAIN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • 126 posts
  • LocationGreen Bay, WI

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:20 AM

Cause I drool on my pillow,

...FRR leader

#7 Malzel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTennessee, USA

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:27 PM

I never played any of the old MW games, so I had to pick a faction almost at random. Chose the FRR because underdogs and hopeless causes are fun. Stayed because I found a cool unit to drop with, and I can appreciate the Norse flavor.

#8 Ang3r

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationIn My Mech Melting your Face off!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:22 AM

only played MW shortly, thou been looking forwards to MWO getting out of beta ;)

im Danish, with our norther menthality and always liked the sagas and religion about the north.

why FFR? where else to i fit in? Yelling for more Mead, chargeing the enemy and fighting with eager spirit! *puts on he's Plastic Viking Helmed* lets face it. some of us just arent like the rest :wacko:

#9 NoClass

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 192 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

My first choice was Steiner for heritage reasons. The fist logo was a welcomed bonus. For whatever reason I decided to read up on the lore. The Steiners lost their appeal. Free worlds league represents pretty much everything I don't like. Wasn't terribly interested in playing for the Orient. Space England was also out. That pretty much left the FRR. I found out about the clans after I was invited to join a unit, not like you can fly their colors or use their mechanical anyway.

#10 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:08 PM

Because in recent times, the Nordic countries have produced some of the best Heavy Metal! My favorite mech, too! ;)

#11 Corbon Zackery

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:13 PM

The Free Rasalhague Republic was a nation born in the wake of the Fourth Succession War, which enjoyed less than two decades of independence before being almost totally overrun by the invasion of the Clans.
In 2330, House Kurita's expansionist Draconis Combine invaded the Principality of Rasalhague, subduing it after enduring more than three decades of guerrilla war. The Rasalhague Military District remained the most restive province of the Combine as its original Scandinavian inhabitants resisted assimilation into the Japanese-dominated culture of their Kuritan conquerors. In 3004, a Rasalhagian bodyguard assassinated Coordinator Hohiro Kurita. During the Fourth Succession War, many Rasalhagians greeted the Lyran Commonwealth troops as liberators and helped them to capture many Rasalhague worlds before the war's end in 3030. However, Lyran Duke Selvin Kelswa wanted to retain the conquered planets in his Tamar Pact, and his heavy-handed treatment of their people thoroughly alienated them.
As part of Operation Rosebud, Primus Myndo Waterly of ComStar convinced Theodore Kurita of the advantages of granting Rasalhague independence. It would relieve the Combine of its most rebellious citizens, create a buffer state on the border with the Commonwealth, pressure the Lyrans to disgorge their Rasalhagian conquests to the new republic, and perhaps inspire secessionists in the Lyran Isle of Skye. She also promised him military equipment from ComStar's secret stocks in exchange.
Rasalhague's proclamation of independence on March 13, 3034 was quickly recognized by ComStar and the Draconis Combine. Some Kuritan troops refused to obey Theodore's orders, but he crushed them in the Ronin War. As foreseen by Waterly, Lyran ruler Katrina Steiner turned over captured Rasalhague planets to the Free Rasalhague Republic (FRR). The new state sought to appease both the Commonwealth and the Combine through scrupulous neutrality, even adopting a policy of equal trade.
However, the gravest threat to Free Rasalhague's precarious independence would come not from these two great powers, but the unexpected Clan invasion of the Inner Sphere. By the time the Clan advance was halted in 3052, most of the FRR was overrun by Clan Wolf and Clan Ghost Bear. The rump state that survived became a virtual protectorate of ComStar.
On the 21st of August 3070 Ragnar Magnusson spoke to the Free Rasalhague Republic government on Orestes; acting on behalf of Clan Ghost Bear and the Ghost Bear Dominion, Magnusson launched what would become a series of negotiations to reach an accord for "all Rasalhagian peoples."[1]
Meanwhile, the Ghost Bears pursued good relations with their subjects, creating the Ghost Bear Dominion. In 3103, the holdout Free Rasalhague Republic merged with the Ghost Bears to form the Rasalhague Dominion.

#12 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:22 PM

Uh, Corbon, what part of that explains why you prefer the FRR?

#13 Mildiane

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:14 PM

When I started this game, I chose the FRR because of their flag, and I am still FRR because of the space viking stuff.

And mead.

#14 KVLTCLUTCH

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • 3 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:38 PM

THE MIGHTY SPACE THOR CAME TO ME IN A MEAD-FUELED DREAM AND TOLD ME TO TAKE HIS MIGHTY PPCHAMMER AND SPREAD SPACE FRR-EEDOM!

But really: Mead, metal, friendship, and beards.

#15 Jarl Dane

• Generalløytnant
  • Generalløytnant
  • 1,803 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:30 PM

Fully support Space Thor in all his incarnations!

Edited by Mech The Dane, 14 October 2013 - 06:31 PM.

#16 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:15 PM

Well, I'm one of those geeky fan fiction types, and have done surprisingly well keeping up with everything BT/MW related for...well ever. MWO blindsided me, it's like aliens wiped my mind of its existence.

FRR though, my natural lineage is North/Northeastern Europe (I'm a Summah European. Summah this, Summah that.) But have some pretty strong roots in the more enigmatic, and highly nomadic gypsy folk. So, in BT, I always favored FRR forces, they're Sedish, Norse(-ish) and all the 'cool' european folk. However, I also have an inappropriate infatuation with Clan Wolf, the iconic Warden Clan. So, for me, when the Invasion comes, and the FRR is pretty much gutted from the Inner Sphere, I imagine I'd become a bondsman. But, my heart will always be FRR.

Rambling aside, For the Republic!

#17 Darkhammer

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 26 posts
  • LocationDo not look, I am behind you.

Posted 15 October 2013 - 05:47 PM

What can I say, Odin, Thor, Loki... I always loved that stuff. Got the Thor comics as a kid. When i played D@D the main gods where well to got it... I even owned thors hammer for a time.. Do not ask...
So FFR is the under dog and viking to boot, sign me up..

Edited by Darkhammer, 15 October 2013 - 05:49 PM.

#18 van Uber

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 284 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMech The Dane, on 11 October 2013 - 09:47 PM, said:

What is your reason for choosing to join or support the FRR?

Like I had a choice...

#19 Nauht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 04:02 PM

Clan Ghost Bear for me.

#20 Tarn Devereux

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 27 posts
  • LocationGrumium

Posted 18 October 2013 - 02:58 AM

View PostTekadept, on 17 October 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

Just wondering who the FRR needs to be freed from? currently it should just be Rasalhague nobody has invaded yet :)

We don't need to be freed we are free at last from those that sought to opress us.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users