Mechwarrior Developers, I Beseech You!

69 replies to this topic

Poll: A Map with no Cap? YOU DECIDE (62 member(s) have cast votes)

Should there be a game mode with no Cap? This means no object you can stand on or capture to win the match. Fighting only to win.

1. Yes (45 votes [72.58%])

Percentage of vote: 72.58%

2. No (17 votes [27.42%])

Percentage of vote: 27.42%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 CancR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 28 September 2013 - 04:03 PM, said:

I actually screwed up my calculations on the map sizes, because I missed seeing a zero. A 2000m x 2000m map (roughly the total size of Alpine) is 4 million square meters or 13.2 million square feet. A BT map sheet is only 450m x 510m for a total area of 230 thousand square meters or just under 760 thousand square feet. How is that "too small"? Even Forest Colony, the smallest map by far, is bigger than a single map sheet. Make the maps much larger than 6000m x 6000m and you're going to have trouble finding the enemy team.

You can try to fudge the math anyway you want, but both have the same measurments, and the board for the table top have more hexes in the vertical and horizontal, thus is clearly larger.

Let's go back to 1992 size maps...they where huge.

#62 Volthorne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:15 AM

View PostMarj, on 28 September 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

That's the point. Currently if you don't spot the enemy team on alpine within 1 minute you know exactly where they're going to be, no scouting required. The maps need to be big enough that not spotting the enemy within 1 minute doesn't tell you exactly where they are. Terra Therma does this with terrain, but thanks to the bases you can't actually use the terrain to surprise the enemy. You're stuck defending your base or you'll get capped. Moving out to engage the enemy in anything slower than a fast medium means you can't defend your cap. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if fast mechs could be relied on to defend caps, but that's not the game most people want to play, so cappers get ignored.

If PGI wants to keep capping they need to make defence fun. Shooting big stompy robots is fun. Standing on a cap for 5 min to see a potential capper spot you then run back to the main fight because they know they can't beat you isn't. And no, telling people not to use half the mechs so they can get back to the cap in time isn't an option. Getting back to the cap only to have the capper run off means you have to STAY on the cap for the rest of the match, you can't fight because there isn't enough time left on the cap to get back if the capper returns. If someone wants to play an atlas they should be able to without gimping their team, just like they should be able to play a spider without gimping their team.

MW4 required scouting. The maps were big enough and the terrain varied enough that finding the enemy took effort. Note the caps are a real problem here, not map sizes. The enemy MUST either defend their cap or rush yours so that drastically limits where they can go. This basically eliminates scouting apart from locating single base cappers...which very few people do anyway. It also limits a whole host of other tactics that take time to set up.

If you're not standing on the enemy cap or between the enemy and yours you lose. It devolves into the mech equivalent of trench warfare with 2 opposing sides pounding on each other from defensive positions. The most advanced tactic is the odd flanker, but even then it's often not possible for people to flank properly (get behind the enemy without being noticed).

Personally, I'm sick of it. I still play a few games every so often to grind up mechs, but even that's losing it's appeal (partly due to hit detection issues). There are so many ways that have been suggested to deal with "one last spider troll", there really isn't any excuses. It doesn't even have to be TDM, king of the hill would work if they made capping risky. Have the cap in a very exposed location with no oil rig to hide behind, any capper is completely exposed to sniper fire/LRM's. That alone would allow much more flexibility.

TLDR: We desperately need a game mode that allows MWO to be the thinking man's shooter it was supposed to be.

You hit the nail on the head, but not until the very end of your post (and touched on it briefly in the third paragraph). Literally every thing else about it was pretty much white noise. You're right, the issue is mostly not the maps but the game modes. I completely agree there.

The problem is also more of map design rather than map size. Making a bigger map where you have a chance of not seeing the whole enemy team for all of the 15 minutes isn't a solution. With a bit of tweaking to most of the maps, you could add another one to five approach routes with almost no effort (say, an underground highway-type deal on River City. Or a narrow, deep section of the lake on Forest Colony that you could hide a Dragon or the like in; Maybe also make that log-bridge thing just outside the caves on Forest Colony also actually go somewhere? You know, the one by the base with all the shipping containers).

View PostCancR, on 29 September 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

You can try to fudge the math anyway you want, but both have the same measurments, and the board for the table top have more hexes in the vertical and horizontal, thus is clearly larger.

Let's go back to 1992 size maps...they where huge.

I'm not sure what "boards" you're using, but clearly you don't understand how area is calculated (I'm also not actually sure you understand math in general, considering how you say I'm trying to "fudge" it - does that even work in that particular context?).

Yes, let's go back to the "1992" map sizes becau- OH WAIT, MECHWARRIOR 2 DIDN'T HAPPEN UNTIL 1995. Oops. I guess we're stuck with the maps from MechWarrior 1. Thanks a bunch. It's going to be SO fun walking around on a sheet of black and not being able to climb hills.

Edited by Volthorne, 29 September 2013 - 10:17 AM.

#63 nrg9x

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 05:55 PM

Id like to see a "Skirmish" mode , Small direct enclosure combat zones , Corners and doorways ,,,make it happen B)

#64 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

As a light pilot (and exclusively a light pilot, never touched anything heavier than a Cicada, which we all know is a light disguised as a medium), MOTHER OF GOD YES PLEASE.

Don't get me wrong, I can see the value of capping as a mechanic. It doesn't make it any less infuriating when a lance of lights makes a beeline for the cap and caps before anyone capable of taking on 3 or 4 lights (so no, just sending a light or two back doesn't work, don't even go there) can get back. Trust me, I know from experience as being the guy who always has to be the one to deal with cappers, 90% of the time by myself.
If there was at least a time delay before caps became active, or a severe reduction on the increase in cap speed given by multiple people on cap, that'd be a different story - that way, there would at least be some fighting. When the two teams never even see each other, let alone get to fight, that is not fun; that is a waste of time.

#65 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostMechwarrior0311, on 26 September 2013 - 05:17 AM, said:

It isnt about planning for a light cap rush.. of course we do....................

Its about having a new game mode where the focus is combat andoutsmarting your enemy and not worrying about an inanimate object that people can stand on to win the game.

You want a game mode where you can "outsmart your enemy" without having to worry about being outmaneuvered and outsmarted by a method you are too slow to take advantage of yourself.

#66 Shrike ski

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 44 posts
  • LocationColumbus Ohio

Posted 25 November 2013 - 05:04 PM

what about a simple trigger? no capping in assault until at least 3-4 mechs are destroyed / disconnected (either team), I think the real frustration comes from base rushes, not because it is not a valid tactic with the current set up but that its no fun. I personally play this game to have fun and I think most other people do to (some people are just uber competitive and win at all costs types) , I don't really think that the complaints are coming from the standpoint of the single light mech that sits on a base for 5 minutes to cap it (group of 4 with CA do it much faster tho), capping is a valuable tactic for pulling people out of position for your team, splitting your forces to cover all routes on a map like alpine is very risky (worst map for the no fire at all base cap). just my thoughts on the matter

#67 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:57 PM

Why not just stop QQing about capping and play deathmatch when it comes out and stop trying to "fix" something that isn't broken?

#68 Schrottfrosch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 253 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:06 AM

I think the best solution for this "no cap"-thing is to have only one point that can be capped - it should be in the middle of the map. Fight is going to go down at that point and whoever runs is going to lose.

I guess this was proposed somewhere else already, too - maybe the capzone could be randomly dropped (of course with similar distance from both teams) and you could even see much more of the maps :P

Edited by Schrottfrosch, 26 November 2013 - 11:06 AM.

#69 fandre

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:48 AM

My personal game experience in MWO is the following: It is a very rare occasion that 1 or 2 light mechs are trying to troll at the end of a match and every time the team was capable of hunting them down and killing them. I am not talking about lights which try to survive a match in the last 2 or 3 minutes. This seems to be reasonable for me as an opposite to hiding the whole match.There were also some matches where some mechs try to hide and survived with power down. Even in this cases my team has found and killed them.

So I can hardly see the problem by offering a gamemode without cap. You fearing of by problems which only occure in less than 0,1% of the matches, IMHO.

If you realy need a solution for this, there was a nice one postetd somewhere else here in the forum. Make the match timer more dynamic. It starts with 15min and increases when dmg is done on mechs of the opposing team and faster decreased if no dmg is dealed to the opposing team.

#70 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:06 PM

View Postfandre, on 26 November 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

My personal game experience in MWO is the following: It is a very rare occasion that 1 or 2 light mechs are trying to troll at the end of a match and every time the team was capable of hunting them down and killing them. I am not talking about lights which try to survive a match in the last 2 or 3 minutes. This seems to be reasonable for me as an opposite to hiding the whole match.There were also some matches where some mechs try to hide and survived with power down. Even in this cases my team has found and killed them.

So I can hardly see the problem by offering a gamemode without cap. You fearing of by problems which only occure in less than 0,1% of the matches, IMHO.

If you realy need a solution for this, there was a nice one postetd somewhere else here in the forum. Make the match timer more dynamic. It starts with 15min and increases when dmg is done on mechs of the opposing team and faster decreased if no dmg is dealed to the opposing team.

or they could all wait for deathmatch mode which the devs have stated numerous times is coming....?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users