- - - - -

Premium Time And Project Pheonix

11 replies to this topic

#1 Arkey Ark

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:24 PM

I bought Overlord and I now my wallets somewhat dry, I wanted to buy a premium account and get extra money before the Oct 15th, but even after spending all that money on PP, I think they should set it so that as long as you spend money you can activate the premium account. I could buy the cheapest MC amount but its so little I can't even spend it on anything. What a waste... I feel like I'm getting ripped off more and more. Blah blah blah.

#2 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:29 PM

hahahahaha
nope
PP is actually a great deal if you want to invest in this game, you just feel entitled
All those mechs, paint, cockpit items and on top of all that premium time is included.
Which makes this idea even more laughable.
And they aren't "premium accounts", it's just premium time
Some of us have spent way more the $80 you sunk into PP, and we're not complaining about the cost of Premium time.

Edited by Destructicus, 26 September 2013 - 12:35 PM.

#3 Vidarok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationVestibule of Creation

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:41 PM

About the Project Phoenix... I've bought the Overlord pack aswell. I never got any notification email about my purchase or anything. Is this normal?

Do I have to redeem a code or something? How the heck does this thing work?

#4 Destructicus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationKlendathu

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostVidarok, on 26 September 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

About the Project Phoenix... I've bought the Overlord pack aswell. I never got any notification email about my purchase or anything. Is this normal?

You should have gotten an email receipt, similar to when you buy MC

#5 Arkey Ark

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

I just figured out that you use MC to buy premium time instead of forcing someone to buy MC to be able to unlock premium time, inwhich they need to spend even more money. PP is worth it though, although I won't feel special because everyone has it. Maybe in a year or two if this game is still alive, it'll really start to shine. But by then there would be even more OP mechs up for sale.

#6 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostArkey Ark, on 26 September 2013 - 12:24 PM, said:

I bought Overlord and I now my wallets somewhat dry, I wanted to buy a premium account and get extra money before the Oct 15th, but even after spending all that money on PP, I think they should set it so that as long as you spend money you can activate the premium account. I could buy the cheapest MC amount but its so little I can't even spend it on anything. What a waste... I feel like I'm getting ripped off more and more. Blah blah blah.

Yeah, thats not gonna happen.

You already got an awesome deal. Yeah it was expensive, but you are getting a lot per dollar spent. Many thousands of MC just in Mechs (and with hero-Mech like bonuses on many of them...these mechs would probably average 2000MC each even without the bonuses), 12 free mech bays, 90 days premium time, 4 cockpit items with permanent LP boost. You got a great deal.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 26 September 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,640 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:51 PM

There was an immediate chunk of premium time available as an early bird bonus - but I would like to see the ability to burn premium time in discrete chunks. Currently, once you activate your premium time, it burns down until nothing is left, no matter what. Nothing will stop it, so you're punished if you can't play for a while. Thus, while you -can- buy premium time in up to 180 day increments, you end up being punished for not playing every day of your time - and you risk losing part of what you've brought to the whims of fate.

Note, however, that it's difficult to lose enough value by not playing that your purchase wasn't still worth more than the next-lower tier of premium time - if you buy the higher increments. For example:
  • if you bought 7 days of premium time (1,250 MC,) you're getting a little over 120% of the days/MC you'd get if you bought 3 days (650 MC).
  • But, if you bought the thirty day package (2,500 MC,) you're getting over 214% of the value/MC of the 7-day package
So if you compare buying 7 days to buying 3 days, you'd lose money if you missed just two days of play (1.4 technically, but I'm rounding it to full-day chunks since that's how people typically, I think, play.) By contrast, you would have to miss more than 16 days before you lost money on the 30-day deal.

All that being said, while the cost reduction of the higher premium time packages does make them attractive compared to their lower-tier alternatives, the inability of players to regulate their use of the time they receive makes it hard for players to accurately assess how good a deal really is for them, and makes us feel almost penalized for buying large chunks of premium. I'd personally be much more likely to buy premium time if I could regulate its use on at least a weekly (and preferably a daily) basis.

#8 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,640 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:54 PM

Finally, while you should still feel good about buying Project Phoenix (the package is an excellent value even before the premium time,) anyone who doesn't understand someone's frustration about how premium time works (or the tendency toward buyer's remorse when they have to wait so long for the Phoenix mechs) isn't putting enough thought into the matter. =)

Edited by Void Angel, 26 September 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#9 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:05 PM

How could you possibly be getting ripped off since there was absolutely no pressure on you to buy? I haven't spent a dime on this game (not counting Sarah's mech, that's different). I don't see spending $15 on a mech (the Jaeger D I think?), but I am wanting that Shadowhawk so I may cough up some cash here soon. But it's my choice. I could just wait, gather up the c-bills and pick up some mechbays so to say I would be getting ripped off is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Yes the prices are high, but look at what we are getting for free. It's not like we only get 2 mechbays, but you need 3 in order get Elite skills.....

In other words, they aren't screwing us over like most F2P games do with character slots, inventory slots etc etc. So chill for a month, then buy some MC and have fun. ;)

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostVidarok, on 26 September 2013 - 12:41 PM, said:

Check out the page again.
Posted Image

I'm personally not proud of this, but if the game does improve and PGI works better on balance after CW... then it'll be worthwhile. Either way I wanted to make sure I had the exclusive content. >.>

Edited by Koniving, 26 September 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#11 MoonDragn

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationMonrovia, MD

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:10 AM

On overlord tier, it says you get 90 days premium time. Does that only start when you activate it after you get your package on Oct 15?

#12 DEMAX51

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 27 September 2013 - 07:19 AM

View PostMoondragn, on 27 September 2013 - 07:10 AM, said:

On overlord tier, it says you get 90 days premium time. Does that only start when you activate it after you get your package on Oct 15?

Yes, that is correct. The premium time will be available and ready for you to activate on the 15th, and won't start ticking down until you hit the "activate" button anytime thereafter.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users