9 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:18 PM

Pressing "R" locks your targeting system on a enemy mech. This does more than just let your companions rain down LRMs on him without having to have LOS etc. It gives you more information such as his condition.

That is what is normally talked about. But it does more than that. It also puts them on the radar for anyone close by and on the Battlefield map ("B") for everyone to see.

I hate seeing someone standing on a ridgeline, firing away, but yet there is nothing on radar. Sure it could a ECM cloaked mech, but often it's just they aren't hitting R. This is usually a good sign you are about to get ROFLSTOMPED 12 to 2.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:39 PM

The normal viewing distance is 750 to 800 meters for being able to lock on to something on your own (believe Redshift said 800). Any targets you can see or lock onto beyond that are actually spotted by someone else.

Hollow red triangles are non-focused enemies. Solid red triangles are targeted by an ally or yourself.

It's always a good thing to target your enemies. Don't rely exclusively on the rare and random auto target.

#3 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 September 2013 - 01:39 PM, said:

The normal viewing distance is 750 to 800 meters for being able to lock on to something on your own (believe Redshift said 800). Any targets you can see or lock onto beyond that are actually spotted by someone else.

Hollow red triangles are non-focused enemies. Solid red triangles are targeted by an ally or yourself.

It's always a good thing to target your enemies. Don't rely exclusively on the rare and random auto target.

All good info, and I could (Ok should) have been more clear, but i was irked by a recent battle and vented a bit too much.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:02 PM

Was just randomly adding it. You were clear enough.

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:54 PM

Ohhhh that wasn't frustrated Nick... this morning I stuck on Advanced Targeting Range module plus BAP and dropped a Medium Laser for a TAG. 1200m targeting range and ECM punch through. I was in a Victor with no missiles. That is how pissed off I was at people being unable to use R.

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostscJazz, on 26 September 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Ohhhh that wasn't frustrated Nick... this morning I stuck on Advanced Targeting Range module plus BAP and dropped a Medium Laser for a TAG. 1200m targeting range and ECM punch through. I was in a Victor with no missiles. That is how pissed off I was at people being unable to use R.

LOL....you win. I was irked....you were pissed! ;)

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

lmao

#8 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

I usually always cycle through enemy mechs, if only to see their loadouts and health condition. So hitting "R" doesn't just help your team, it can also ensure you don't engage that full health AC/40 Jager with your Jenner.

#9 danneskold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 124 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

it is a disservice to yourself. lock the target, and see where it is weakest. It will tell you where to shoot, esp open side torso and other weaknesses of note.

#10 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, unfortunately, most people who need to hear this aren't here (guess they're the majority then) to actually hear. Still, one of my top peeves is people who don't realize that Dragon has a red LT with no armor.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users