New Mode- Assault (No Base Cap)

8 replies to this topic

#1 Killhunger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

**This is an idea to add an additional mode for those who do not like the base cap mechanic. This is not a request to remove the current assault mode. I like the idea of both and have no issues with the cap mechanic.**

There are many people that hate being capped. The issue is that you have to have a way to keep the lights from raoming the map or avoiding the fight. Otherwise every single fight will end up lasting the full time with at least 1 light avoiding combat to survive.

Here is the idea:

As the battle is raging start sectioning off the map for artillery.

Slowly the map would get smaller and smaller heading towards the 15min mark. Eventually you would have a single grid for who is left till either last man wins, or time runs out. All other grids would be getting shelled constantly forcing them together.

No more cap. And they could somewhat randomize the grids that get shelled with a little bit of warning. I'd rather they just work from ther outer map to the center map for simplicity but they have options.

This mode in a large city skyscraper map might be fun.

((I checked for this but only found lots of complaints about cappers, not a clear solution))

Thoughts?

- Kill

Edited by Killhunger, 26 September 2013 - 11:46 PM.

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

No crossposting and crosslinking please!
I removed the duplicate thread.

#3 Killhunger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:04 PM

Understood, just wasn't sure the best place to put it.

#4 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:24 PM

No harm done! Now you know and my answer to your PM will hopefully help you along as well. ;)

Though I don't like your idea as an anti-capping solution (because I don't care if either team wins by cap or kill), I believe it might be a fun new game mode.

Edited by Egomane, 26 September 2013 - 03:25 PM.

#5 Killhunger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostEgomane, on 26 September 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

No harm done! Now you know and my answer to your PM will hopefully help you along as well. ;)

Though I don't like your idea as an anti-capping solution (because I don't care if either team wins by cap or kill), I believe it might be a fun new game mode.

I have no issues with the standard assault mode. I see the strategic use of tap the cap in an assault game to pull some of the mechs away from the main force. Also having been the last assault mech on the map, heading to the cap to bring the enemy to you for a showdown.

But there are so many posts about cap rage, I figured I'd offer a constructive suggestion that could be interesting.

"Incoming artillery to G5 detected!" Move move!" Heh.

- Kill

#6 Mechwarrior0311

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationIllinois, United States

Posted 26 September 2013 - 04:17 PM

Hey look at my thread its so much better! [redacted]

Edited by miSs, 27 September 2013 - 08:42 AM.
Cross Linking

#7 RiggsIron

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:45 PM

Just dont allow capping until halfway into fight.

Or have a single base somewhere in the middle of the map.

#8 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

View PostEgomane, on 26 September 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

No harm done! Now you know and my answer to your PM will hopefully help you along as well. :)

I agree. Assault needs to stay the way it is and people need to learn how to deal with cappers tactically. That's part of the challenge of that mode.

However, a mode that essentially "removes" playable area as you play the match is a really cool idea.

Edited by Bhael Fire, 26 September 2013 - 08:22 PM.

#9 Killhunger

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 46 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:44 PM

View PostMechwarrior0311, on 26 September 2013 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hey look at my thread its so much better!

I posted in your thread. No one read my post. It needed its own topic, as rather than arguing or complaining that PGI needed to change something seemed less constructive than posting a solution for those that hate the capping in general. If you look in the map and modes section there are too many posts complaining.

So I posted a mode based solution in a well titled post.

For those that like the current iteration of the assault mode I think it should stay in game. I think we need more modes. I would actually call this mode something other than assault. Maybe "Battleground" or something. I just felt that people would understand the title as it is listed more clearly.

- Kill

Edited by Killhunger, 26 September 2013 - 11:44 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users