- - - - -

How Does Spoting Work Here?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Joarg

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:19 AM

Hello!
As the title says, i am wondering how the spoting system works (and have difficulties to find answers to such a core mechanic...)
Ranges, ecm, beagle, modules all is pretty clear and easy to understand, my problem lies how are my team members seeing what i can "see":
If i spot an enemy (spot as get a red triangle not only see its mech) does my team see him as well or do i need to target him with "r" to reveal him?

Edit: And how do spotting assists work?

Edited by Joarg, 27 September 2013 - 05:20 AM.

#2 Zoccola

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:23 AM

If you have LOS of an enemy you and your team can target them.
If you target an enemy you gain the spotter bonus if a team member hits your target with LRMs while firing indirectly. This gives you the Spotter bonus.
If you hit an enemy with a TAG or NARC and a team member hits them with LRMS, you will gaint the TAG/NARC bonus.

#3 Joarg

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:24 AM

Thanks, that makes it clear.

#4 Konril

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 214 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

If you have LOS and are within radar range, your targeting will only show the hollow triangle. Which means your radar can see the enemy directly, but nobody is targeting him.

To target an enemy, press 'R' until the enemy you want is targeted. The enemy gets a solid triangle, brackets frame the enemy on your display, and your computer will start to analyze and display the enemy's detailed data. The targeting data of the enemy you have targeted, and only the enemy you have targeted will be shown to the whole team. That means they appear on radar even if they are out of radar range or outside of line of sight, and LRM users can target and get a missile lock on them.

If you see 2 opponents and only have one targeted, an ally on the other side of the hill will only be able to see the one opponent that you have targeted. Switch targets and the first will drop off your allies radar and the second will be seen instead. Mind you, if you lose your target for any reason, any ally relying on you for spotting will also lose their lock and target instantly. So it's a good idea to watch for that missile indicator and keep that opponent targeted when you see it.

Edited by Konril, 27 September 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#5 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 27 September 2013 - 05:55 AM

View Post*******, on 27 September 2013 - 05:23 AM, said:

If you have LOS of an enemy you and your team can target them.
If you target an enemy you gain the spotter bonus if a team member hits your target with LRMs while firing indirectly. This gives you the Spotter bonus.
If you hit an enemy with a TAG or NARC and a team member hits them with LRMS, you will gaint the TAG/NARC bonus.

Fixed...

If you have a lock on a target, you were the first, you are the closest and this bonus hasn't already been given away... any successful damage by a team mate will give you the Spotting Bonus. Most often this means LRMs. But really it can be done with anything.

#6 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:26 AM

View PostJoarg, on 27 September 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

Hello!
As the title says, i am wondering how the spoting system works (and have difficulties to find answers to such a core mechanic...)
Ranges, ecm, beagle, modules all is pretty clear and easy to understand, my problem lies how are my team members seeing what i can "see":
If i spot an enemy (spot as get a red triangle not only see its mech) does my team see him as well or do i need to target him with "r" to reveal him?

Edit: And how do spotting assists work?

Anyone can spot. If you target an enemy, that information is shared with your teammates. if one of them uses that to nail them with missiles, you have just assisted by spotting. And will get a bonus for it.

You need no special modules to do it. Anyone can do it by default.Simply targeting an enemy will allow teammates to target them as well, even if they do not have line of sight.

This is especially useful with ECM enemies. I cannot target any ECM mech if I am over 200 meters away. but if YOU are close and can target them, I will be able to target them as well, even though I would normally be blocked by ECM. I can use your mech to target them.

The trick is to maintain a consistent lock. if you target someone else while my missiles are en route, I will lose the target as well, and my missiles will no longer home on it.

Beagle Active Probes only augment your targeting capabilities. They are not required.

TAG can paint targets and will allow friendly missiles to home on them. But they are not required either.

ECM can be used to counter enemy ECM...but has nothing to do with spotting.

#7 Joarg

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 06:33 AM

Thanks for the more detailed answers, so you need to aktive target an enemy to relay it. Makes scouting in PUG´s much harder (and less usefull to oneself, which explains the fighting light mechs) but good to know the missile symbol is a hint that someone wants to shoot, so you should keep it targeted.

#8 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Just to add some thoughts, it never hurts to target an enemy that is already spotted, especially if you have LRM boats on your team. If the other person loses their lock, you may keep yours and thus allow the missiles to home in.

If you spot multiple untargeted mechs, you can press "R" quickly to spam through them thus causing them to flash on the radar and hopefully warning people they are coming.

I also give priority to any untargeted mechs for the same reason in a PUG, ie keep people aware. Now if I am in a 4 man group, then I stick to our chosen target so we can focus fire him down.

*edit*
PS: Thanks scJazz, didn't know that any damage worked for spotting. Does make sense though as some games I got it and would've sworn we didn't have any LRM support.

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 27 September 2013 - 08:52 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users