Engine Detonation

12 replies to this topic

#1 pyroim

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 10:24 PM

Yeah so i heard you just blew up my fusion reactor...

#2 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:06 PM

They don't explode.

#3 Vercinaigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 325 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 11:10 PM

Doesn't work that way mate, look up the tech. Verc out.

#4 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 12:10 AM

Explosions are still possible. No, they're not nuclear meltdowns or supercriticality incidents, but they do blow up sometimes...

#5 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 03:18 AM

View PostThe Boz, on 27 September 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Explosions are still possible. No, they're not nuclear meltdowns or supercriticality incidents, but they do blow up sometimes...

This.

(would be nice to have a random chance of a mech blowing up when engine gets destroyed..)

#6 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 27 September 2013 - 04:10 AM

Would be great to see this randomly.

If they added eject and random sensible mech explosions, the overall sim would improve so much.

While on the subject, re add random collision knockdowns to :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 27 September 2013 - 04:14 AM.

#7 The Boz

• 1,317 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 12:06 PM

Randomly killing your enemies and teammates on death would be a hilariously bad idea.

#8 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:49 PM

Plasma breaches have been an optional TT rule for a long time.

A fusion reactor won't "go critical". There is no way to have a "runaway" reaction. In order to even get a sustaianable fusion reaction you need a high powered magnetic bottle to contain the plasma at a critical mass for fusion to occur.

Once the magnetic botle goes "pop" the reaction halts.

However it is quite possible that in a catastrophic failure where the containment is breached and the magnetic bottle fails unevenly to have a plasma breach. Basically this is a huge wash of high temperature plasma (around100 million deg C) that can cause some pretty spectacular effects.

Superheated air could cause the mech torso to explode from the expansion. Certainly melting of the torso. And a rapid rise in temperature around the area as the heat leaks out of the mech.

But it's not a thermonuclear reaction. The optional rule listed it as somethign like within 1 hex (30m) 25 heat points and d6 damage to a random location from shrapnel, 2 hexes (60m) 20 heat point. 3 hexes (90m) 10 heat points.

People used the optional rule to add a little flavor to the game, and to emphasize the risks of giant robots with fusion reactors slamming into each other with kicks and punches and melee weapons in close combat.

I think it would add an element of danger to "close combat" in MWO (which currently without knockdown or melee is little more than leg humping and shooting randomly), and encourage smarter play.

Edited by Xandre Blackheart, 29 September 2013 - 01:50 PM.

#9 soarra

• Legendary Founder
  • 1,312 posts
  • Locationny

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:18 PM

Stackpoling = bad

#10 Alois Hammer

• 1,296 posts
  • LocationHooterville

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:29 PM

Just say "no" to Stackpoling.

#11 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:50 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 29 September 2013 - 12:06 PM, said:

Randomly killing your enemies and teammates on death would be a hilariously bad idea.

This. I do not care at all for realism or TT-related issues. As long as it's purely visual, I have no problems with a nuclear explosion that covers half the map.

But a random chance that a mech will damage all mechs around him on death? That's a game-breaker.

"This is sure to be an exciting match: We have the top two teams in NA squaring off against each other. Alright, guys, prepare for a slugging match..."

<stunned silence>

"Well, that definitely would have been exciting if one of their mechs hadn't gone critical and severely damaged half the team. It's a shame that a completely random occurrence decided the match..."

#12 Stomp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 345 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 29 September 2013 - 04:16 PM

View PostMackman, on 29 September 2013 - 03:50 PM, said:

This. I do not care at all for realism or TT-related issues. As long as it's purely visual, I have no problems with a nuclear explosion that covers half the map.

But a random chance that a mech will damage all mechs around him on death? That's a game-breaker.

"This is sure to be an exciting match: We have the top two teams in NA squaring off against each other. Alright, guys, prepare for a slugging match..."

<stunned silence>

"Well, that definitely would have been exciting if one of their mechs hadn't gone critical and severely damaged half the team. It's a shame that a completely random occurrence decided the match..."

I'm torn. On the one hand it sucks to be gimped sometimes, like having a teammate shoot your arm accidentally in a Wang, but.... overcoming that handicap makes for some of the most satisfying matches I've ever played. For instance, having two DC's in a game is a challenge, not a detriment for me.

But I suppose it's all determined in how you approach the game.

#13 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:35 PM

View Postsoarra, on 29 September 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Stackpoling = bad

Plasma Breach =/= stackpoling silly man.

It's a 90m maximum effect that does only heat damage to friend or foe, and possibly 6 (or 12) random points of damage at extremely close range.. That isn't stackpoling.

If you died from a plasma breach it was because the guy with the small laser was too slow shooting you in your last 3 internal points of CT structure.

Or you were hot humping a mech and shut down and got righteously pwned for hot humping a mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users