• The Marauder
  • 22 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPaso Robles, CA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:09 PM

I'm trying to set the controls to be like MechAssault, but with no luck? I need some help on this

#2 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:28 PM

don't think there has been much joy with the xbox360 controller.
people have played around with it but in the end the mouse and keyboard just dominates it.
kinda like using 3pv all the time...

#3 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 28 September 2013 - 11:32 PM

I need some help on this

people have played around with it but in the end the mouse and keyboard just dominates it.

Yeah.. do yourself a favor and use a mouse to aim. Watching some of the newer players fumbling about with their joysticks/gamepads setup for aiming really makes one cringe ... and wonder why they don't simply use a mouse instead.

It's a lot more intuitive in a game like this.

A pad is fine for Super Mario Bros or a Street Fighter-kinda game. But it's right out in a game like this IMO. Simply because you need two hands to use it and probably won't have enough buttons to map all the important functions. You need at least (or should at least have):

1. 3 weapon group fire buttons plus maybe Alpha-Strike
2. Jump jets
3. Center legs and/or torso
4. Zoom
5. Advanced zoom
6. Lock target
7. Override
8. Coolshot
9. Launch UAV
10. Show friendly icons/names

And that's just the ones I'd need. If you're using artillery and/or airstrike, you'd need even more.

Plus: How are you going to type to communicate if both your hands are on the pad?

My advice is: Always use a mouse for torso-movement/aiming. If you want to use an input device other than the keyboard for chassis-movement, use a stick (not a pad) to control your legs.

If I weren't a lefty, I'd use a HOTAS-throttle that has a thumbstick on it (like CH Pro Throttle). Then I'd use the throttle to control, err ... well, throttle, the thumbstick for the legs, all the buttons on the throttle for the functions I need and the mouse to aim/move my torso.

S.

#4 MechWarriorZero

• PipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 22 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPaso Robles, CA

Posted 29 September 2013 - 01:31 AM

I don't use chat, or other keys, just move, look, fire, jump jets, zoom, and if I had the chat pad for the 360 controller I can map other keys to it?

#5 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 03:12 AM

Don't use a controller. You're gonna get slaughtered!

#6 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 29 September 2013 - 08:40 AM

View Postthemechwarriorzero, on 29 September 2013 - 01:31 AM, said:

I don't use chat,

Well, you should. Communication = win

or other keys, just move, look, fire, jump jets, zoom

Again: You should. Not using multiple weapon groups/the occasional alpha-strike is shooting yourself in the foot (bad pun, I know).
Not locking up targets = bad player. It helps you (to see where the enemy is weak) and it helps your team (shows them where the enemy is).

But all this is a minor point since no matter how good you are with a pad, a decent player with a mouse will *always* be a better shot than you.

And sorry if I sound like a wiseguy, but I've been through all this myself back in the day when the first shooters with "movable heads" came out. I used to play the really old stuff like Wolfenstein 3D on a gamepad and was reluctant to switch to keyboard/mouse until I got my a$$ handed to me in my first LAN-matches in Quake.

S.

#7 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 10:19 AM

Okay, as somebody who plays Dark Souls with Mouse+Keyboard, I have to admit sympathy for the guy who wants to play on his preferred control scheme. I really hate gamepads, and if you really hate M+K the same way, then maybe you can/should set something up. You really don't need that many buttons:

1-3. 3 weapon group fire buttons plus maybe Alpha-Strike
//Alpha strike button? Seriously? 3 Weapons groups does limit your loadouts, but if you stay outside of assault class, you can make it work.
4. Jump jets
3. Center legs and/or torso
//I don't even...
5. Zoom
5. Advanced zoom
Nope.
6. Lock target
7. Override
8. Coolshot
9. Launch UAV
//Maybe buttons for consumables if you happen to have a few spare
8. Show all icons/names

All that said... gamepads are objectively worse controllers for everything (yeah, everything) unless the company was too lazy to code properly for the mouse. Joysticks are in-between, but way more fun for immersion. But if you play very casually and want to lounge on a couch while playing big stompy robots, by all means go for it.

Edited by Khanahar, 29 September 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#8 Dethl0k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:32 PM

Chat should be handled with a microphone, if you are typing then you are at a major disadvantage and i would also like to see 360 controller support maybe I would actually try the game out then but as of now its just been taking up space on my HD till community warfare comes out

#9 SaltyDog2020

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 06:06 AM

Just wanted to chime in on this thread. Some of us use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. We might even have issues with our wrists due to using such devices way more than we should. The last thing we want is to be FORCED to use a mouse and keyboard to play a game when we get home. Why can't gamepad support be standard on PC games? I'm willing to take the chance of getting "slaughtered" as the pro above put it.

#10 ThatBum42

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 220 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 09:00 PM

Well, you always could get a Steel Battalion-style controller. :)

Posted Image

#11 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 20 April 2014 - 02:43 AM

I understand the plight of those using mouse and keyboard all day, but that makes me want to use M+K more. The only thing I can use a gamepad for is Fifa2K14. I cannot for the life of me run a stompybot with hat controls. I tried Mechassault on the original XBoner and wished it had M+K support!

If this game were more like MW2-4, I'd want to hook up my Thrustmaster and throttle, but just too many controls right at my (literally) fingertips. Even though this feels like a bot sim, it really is an FPS with torso control. A gamepad will immediately handicap you.

Short anecdote: I was spectating a guy in a Stalker the other day and he had ALL weapons in group one and was chain firing. Lasers, ACs, missiles (both types). I realize he was probably new so I didn't say anything, but it was painful, literally painful to watch. I almost had a seizure.

#12 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 25 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

View PostSaltyDog2020, on 19 April 2014 - 06:06 AM, said:

Just wanted to chime in on this thread. Some of us use a mouse and keyboard all day at work. We might even have issues with our wrists due to using such devices way more than we should. The last thing we want is to be FORCED to use a mouse and keyboard to play a game when we get home. Why can't gamepad support be standard on PC games? I'm willing to take the chance of getting "slaughtered" as the pro above put it.

The problem is that such controllers are *so* noncompetitive that the forums would be even more rife with nerf requests, etc. than they are now. If it was officially supported, then they'd have to deal with requests to "balance" it. I'd be fine with a queue that was 3pv only and allowed the use of xbox gamepads, but again they're beyond noncompetitive against mouse/kb players.

Edited by Fierostetz, 25 April 2014 - 01:13 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users