- - - - -

In Game Conduct

55 replies to this topic

#41 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:46 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 04 October 2013 - 02:34 AM, said:

So a thread about negative behavior has turned into a thread with negative behavior.

%20http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130823003533/mlp/images/d/d4/Injured_player_eating_popcorn.gif%20

Some people can't tolerate opposing viewpoints very well. But it doesn't have to be that way.

View PostLord Baldric, on 04 October 2013 - 06:35 AM, said:

There is an important fact being over looked here. I often see people who choose to use insulting and disparaging remarks tell people to "get a thicker skin", "grow up", " don't get so emotional".

The insults are 'justified' as being emotional outbursts in a heated moment. Alternately its people 'just messing around or joking'

Which is why people should get a thicker skin.

It's a game. Not a religion. People need to relax and not take everything personally.

#42 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

So where is the ignore function?

View PostEgomane, on 03 October 2013 - 02:55 PM, said:

We don't need it, if everyone follows the CoC.

If the CoC were sufficient, there would not be threads complaining about the lack of an ignore feature. I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to implement. If you can have friends lists already, and ignore list should be pretty easy to add I would think.

I personally don'rt need it, but this seems to be upsetting to a lot of people, and PGI has no way of moderating comments in-game in real time.

I am not allowed to tell you more without risking my position as a volunteer moderator. You have to trust my word on this. Or that of the the staff moderators or GMs, who repeatedly posted the very same to the forums.

Well then, I can only go by my own anecdotal evidence. It is not common enough that I have ever seen it happen even once.

View PostEgomane, on 04 October 2013 - 01:18 AM, said:

It does not shield you in this one match, but it will protect you in the future. If the player changes his behavior or is removed from the game, he can no longer disturb you or anyone else.

Intentional disconnecting is also a reportable offense.

How could you ever prove it was intentional?

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 04 October 2013 - 06:51 AM.

#43 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:52 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 06:46 AM, said:

Which is why people should get a thicker skin and learn good manners and how to follow the rules.

Of you word it like that, I'd agree with you. Otherwise it's nonsense.

#44 Lord Baldric

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSlightly to the left of sanity

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:54 AM

And those that make that claim should learn to control their outbursts and not let a game get them so riled up. Unfortunately for you PGI's rules of conduct are not supporting your stance. You can choose to ignore that all you wish it does not change the fact of the matter.

Its a game. No need to take a loss/cheese build/bad PUG match so seriously. Its simply the other side of the coin. Again you can't have it both ways.

Edited by Lord Baldric, 04 October 2013 - 06:56 AM.

#45 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 October 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

As to thin skins, really? So **** victim should just suck it up?

It is impossible to be a real victim in this context, because words cannot cause real damage to you. You are not a victim because someone else said something you don't like.

#46 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:00 AM

This goes both ways. Not everyone should be required to tolerate or conform someones sense of humor if they find it offensive. Reports are the only recourse currently. Keep in mind however. This is PGI's sandbox. They have put forth rules of conduct you are expected to abide by.

Their rules appear to be a placebo. I've never even received a warning.

It is their sensibilities you are expected to conform to. This is not a situation where freedom of speech applies.

I agree. PGI appears to at least tacitly agree with me, as there is no ignore feature and no one appears to be suffering consequences. At least not from what I have seen in-game.

You do not have to like their rules

What makes you say that? When did I complain about their rules?

On the contrary, they seem to be working just fine for me. I like how they are doing things. This is how I would do them as well.

#47 Egomane

• 8,163 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

At least not from what I have seen in-game.

Which is a very limited view.

You are making up a conclusion, not based on any evidence.

Edited by Egomane, 04 October 2013 - 07:04 AM.

#48 John Wolf

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 347 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 06:55 AM, said:

It is impossible to be a real victim in this context, because words cannot cause real damage to you. You are not a victim because someone else said something you don't like.

I think I'm going to share my own view here if nobody minds. :( Words can do real damage to someone, they may not strike a person, or cause visible bruises, but words can completely cause harm to someone. Please remember that while this is the internet, and people should have thick skin, etc.. that words can still hurt, we are not all the same age, or have the same experiences. And hurtful words can still hurt a person, verbal bullying can do more damage over time than physical.

I am sure that if anyone takes the time to consider that, they will understand that fact without me having to provide examples.

Thanks for letting me share my opinion on this one.

#49 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:24 AM

View PostJohn Wolf, on 04 October 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

I think I'm going to share my own view here if nobody minds. :( Words can do real damage to someone, they may not strike a person, or cause visible bruises, but words can completely cause harm to someone. Please remember that while this is the internet, and people should have thick skin, etc.. that words can still hurt, we are not all the same age, or have the same experiences. And hurtful words can still hurt a person, verbal bullying can do more damage over time than physical.

I am sure that if anyone takes the time to consider that, they will understand that fact without me having to provide examples.

I don't think you are doing anyone favors by tiptoeing around them. I think it makes people weaker.

And I think we can all agree, that there is a line where it is unreasonable to have to censor yourself for someone else. There is a point where what offends some people becomes absurd.

#50 Ghogiel

• CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:25 AM

View PostJohn Wolf, on 04 October 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

words in a random drop during game chat that cause the kind of damage you suggest to normal people is asinine. If people suffer emotional trauma from {Scrap} chat in MWO, then {Scrap} in chat is the least of their worries imo.

#51 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 07:29 AM

View PostEgomane, on 04 October 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

You are making up a conclusion, not based on any evidence.

Which is why I used the "from what I have seen" qualifier. It is evidence to me.

View PostLord Baldric, on 04 October 2013 - 06:54 AM, said:

And those that make that claim should learn to control their outbursts and not let a game get them so riled up.

We are not the ones demanding that other people conform to us. We are not demanding a button that forces you to pay attention to what we say.

If someone ignores what I say in game I do not come here and make threads about it. It does not bother me at all.

#52 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:17 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 06:52 AM, said:

How could you ever prove it was intentional?

I would say that if you repeatedly witness it under the same or similar circumstances every time... That would count, no?

There is an important fact being over looked here. I often see people who choose to use insulting and disparaging remarks tell people to "get a thicker skin", "grow up", " don't get so emotional".

...A lot of good points....

In the end showing good sportsmanship and being civil is the overriding goal. Why should people have to tolerate the intolerant and boorish?

This post was very much what I would like to post if I had that talent. Thank you.

#53 Fut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,969 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostNick Makiaveli, on 03 October 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

Again with the comments that you are better than most people.

If you live in America, then yes they are. Here, it's the devs, but since they don't want to close up shop and go find other jobs, I think they will listen to the majority. Thus the rules and regulations here on the forums etc.

You must have had quite the childhood, as I rarely got what I wanted as a child.

Now that ranks right up with the most *self-moderated* things you've ever said. That silly childhood rhyme is nonsense. Words can and do hurt. I do agree that many people are overly sensitive or play at it for the sake of drama and gaining attention, but that is another issue.

Again, you imply that we lack the ability or skill that you do. Must be lonely in your world with so few peers.

Here's the deal. Reasonable, mature people can handle people with other opinions. But some things most of us will not tolerate, like child or sexual abuse. So when people starting talking about **** dungeons in game, I know that there's a 99.99% chance they are full of it, and are just immature virgins talking trash. But guess what? I reported all three of them. I hope they got bans for it. I suspect they got away with warnings, but so be it.

Why? Because I know **** survivors. It isn't something to joke about. Neither is child abuse. You may think tossing racial slurs is no big deal, but whenever it goes unchallenged it validates the attitude and that does nothing to end it.

So you may not participate in negative behavior, but you damn sure don't help stop it if you don't speak up.

Now I know you well enough to know that you will just make up some excuse, or just reiterate your same old argument and then toss in a crumb like yes we should all fight evil or that we should support a in-game /ignore, but whatever dude. I know you, the real you. So even though this won't impact you in a significant way, maybe it will help someone else.

People spout off profanities and insults as a way to get a rise out the people they're directing it towards.
When people respond, in any fashion, they're playing into the "bully's" game. Just ignore them, they'll get bored of the non-reaction and stop.

It's pretty much the same thing as forum trolls - don't feed them, they'll starve and die out.

#54 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

While the start of this thread was very funny and nice read the seriousness of this thread is a small bit alarming.

Maybe "Sadistic Savior" is sick of hearing these types of things, so instead of buttering up for others he just speaking his own mind.
I actually agree with a lot of things this guy is saying.
To a certain extent you do have to allow your self to get upset over small child like things.
Major difference from someone spewing out rage and someone bringing the "hate".
The hate part is where words do hurt, as someone who curses all day long and speaks his mind around all sorts of people.
I love different aspects of people input/output in acts of randomness, its where the "thicker skin" kicks in.

When you hear about cyber bullying I can't help it but laugh, most of the time I hear this is when some poor kid/teenager takes their own life.
To a certain extent the person has to allow one self to be bullied in the first place.

Life ain't easy and people deal with it in different ways.
Sugar coating things never helps but allowing HATE to grow is where the real issue is.

The turning off chat is a very valid point.
Some old grandfather made a really nice post a long time ago.
He loves playing on the TV with his grandchildren watching him.
While he fails attempts to hide the random childish chatter from the eyes of the kids.
Still can't believe this is not in place tbh.

#55 Lord Baldric

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationSlightly to the left of sanity

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:56 PM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 07:29 AM, said:

We are not the ones demanding that other people conform to us. We are not demanding a button that forces you to pay attention to what we say.

By telling people to get a thicker skin and deal with it, you are doing precisely that. It is not about demanding conformity. Its about the option to turn off unneeded or unwanted chatter. 2 people insulting each other back and forth forces chat to scroll by and can force tactical chat off the screen too fast to read.

Yeah I know. TS, vent and so on. Shouldn't be required or necessary to deal with a situation like this. Nor is it truly feasible to get an entire pug in to voice coms. Having the ability to mute someone is a clean and easy way to satisfy everyone. You can continue to say what you like and I don't have to see it on my screen. Whats not to love?

#56 Kilo 40

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,879 posts
  • Locationin my moms basement, covered in cheeto dust

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:47 PM

View PostFerrolupisXIII, on 03 October 2013 - 11:26 AM, said:

Even more aggravating, are the people that die and then proceed to spew hate all over the chat. my personal favorit recently was the charming character that accused my entire team of being exploiting faggots. (he died to an ammo explosion, lol) and when we inquired about how ammo explosions were an exploit he just spammed chat with useless drivel. the icing on the cake was that his team was winning, and when i was the last to be taken down he laughed about how HE made me his *****. the dead guy. yeah.

ah yes. my favorite type of player.

The guy who dies after dishing out 40 damage, then immediately claims that a)his team is a bunch of useless n00bs who don't know how to play b)the other team cheated, as that is the only way they could have killed him so fast c) the game sucks and it's broken.

and I didn't mean that scarcasticly. They are my favorite players. They make me smile from ear to ear knowing that I'm not childish enough to throw a tantrum and blame others because I don't know how to play a game or just had a bad match.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users