Combat Module -- Battle Armor / Infantry Swarm?

2 replies to this topic

#1 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:08 AM

I know this probably won't get anywhere but I thought the idea was funny to say the least.

I was reading this from Sarna from this list for ideas of what could be applied to MWO.
Protected Actuators
BattleMechs with the Protected Actuators Quirk benefit from increased or more effective armor protection around their actuators; this enhanced protection imposes a penalty on both battle armor units and conventional infantry units attempting to make Leg or Swarm attacks against the BattleMech.[27]
Applicable to: BattleMechs only.[1]

Now... This immediately made me think of being able to press a button to activate a Battle Armor Swarm who would attack a nearby mech's legs that either eventually run out of steam or maybe an ally could shoot off with MGs (another use for them, woot!)

And of course, either a design quirk or a counter module called Protected Actuators. >.>; Just because.

#2 RedThirteen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 159 posts
  • LocationRockets

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:18 AM

View PostKoniving, on 29 September 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

I know this probably won't get anywhere but I thought the idea was funny to say the least.

I was reading this from Sarna from this list for ideas of what could be applied to MWO.
Protected Actuators
BattleMechs with the Protected Actuators Quirk benefit from increased or more effective armor protection around their actuators; this enhanced protection imposes a penalty on both battle armor units and conventional infantry units attempting to make Leg or Swarm attacks against the BattleMech.[27]
Applicable to: BattleMechs only.[1]

Now... This immediately made me think of being able to press a button to activate a Battle Armor Swarm who would attack a nearby mech's legs that either eventually run out of steam or maybe an ally could shoot off with MGs (another use for them, woot!)

And of course, either a design quirk or a counter module called Protected Actuators. >.>; Just because.

I'd prefer it if battle armors were able to be piloted by players, rather than as a deployable (given PGI's track record it may take them two or more years' worth of delays to assemble the necessary computery bits). A less flashy way of implementing it would be a passive increase to leg armor in exchange for a number of slots.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 September 2013 - 07:36 AM

It'd be neat, but in a 12 versus 12 player thing.. would you really want a player to be wasted on what will be in MWO a one-hit-and-it-dies battle armor armed with only a small laser and an MG? They were really only good against mechs in swarms of 4 to 7.

Also: Protected actuators is actually a mech specific design quirk for certain mechs. Much like Low Profile (means skinny as heck and hard to hit at range), and "Stable."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users