• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

OK so the Patrol that is looking for me, Must make contact with me and fight me, instead of me being able to sneak past them and kill their allies in their sleep... This is what I am reading. That I cannot do, in a game, what I did in training as a Grunt.

More important, in the game you are instantly warned I am killing your allies, families an taking your stuff. True the Mechanic is... lacking, But if you cannot come back to protect your comrades, dependents and supplies, you don't deserve them.

#22 Mudhutwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:01 AM

As a pug it never ceases to amaze me when the other team caps and assults and heavys near the enemys cap thinks its smart to try and run back to theirs. Lost a lot of matches to such idiocy. I think its also a poor showing when a premade comes in heavy with 4 5 and 6 lites and just moves to cap. I mean premades are pretty much a garunrteed win so how much of a ****** does one want to be?

#23 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:20 AM

As teams cannot be more than 4... 5 & 6 are probably a 2 man team not associated with the 4 man of lights. ANd Caps only win 10% of the time according to Alistair Winter's data gathered. So if Cap happens 10% and Teams are responsible for most of that you are looking at 6%-9% of the time a Team is capping PUGs. Stop blaming pre mades for inept play. Just as I do. When I get Capped it's my fault not the enemy's.

#24 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:42 AM

The complaints about base capping wins are from the control freaks mad that their little ball of mechs has to split up and show some individual thinking to not be beat.

#25 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:49 AM

Assault mode should be changed to King of the Hill if Anything.....

#26 DI3T3R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:14 AM

I forgot exactly where in this forum I read this, but one of the devs mentioned that they are currently working on an Attack/Defend-Mode. However, with all the stuff that's still in the pipeline, I have no idea when it will ever come.

(Shouldn't be too tricky: Attackers are outnumbered. Their capping cannot be reversed. If they manage to trick the defenders and fully cap a conquest-base, they have won.
Simple as that. Implementing would be a day's work, because you just shuffle around some win-conditions and parameters and need maybe a page of new code.)

Edited by DI3T3R, 30 September 2013 - 08:16 AM.

#27 BabooTheBeast

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:35 AM

I think the biggest problem with capping is that it offer little reward yet some people still insist on going for the cap right out of the gate. All it does is end the match prematurely giving limited cbills to both sides.

I guess there has to be a mechanic in place for when the last remaining mech on a team decides to play hide and seek but there are a bunch of better alternatives for that.

#28 Quikshotmofo

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 07:33 PM

First off, this idea mainly came from pug matches on big maps. Usually maps when team A circles one way and team B circles the other way, pretty much having to cap by default or risk the other team capping. Assault, IMO, is team deathmatch with an optional win condition so that last mech can't grief the other team by shutting down and causing them to have to wait for the time limit out unless they have the equipment to find em.

This thread isn't about changing Assault to a different game type. Why take away a game type when you can just add more? Anyways, I mentioned this in a game and a couple people suggested to post it on the forums. Just wanted to see what people thought about the idea.

#29 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:12 PM

View PostBabooTheBeast, on 30 September 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I think the biggest problem with capping is that it offer little reward yet some people still insist on going for the cap right out of the gate. All it does is end the match prematurely giving limited cbills to both sides.

I guess there has to be a mechanic in place for when the last remaining mech on a team decides to play hide and seek but there are a bunch of better alternatives for that.

You march to the battleground forming a line of attack as you scan the horizon looking for and missing the enemies advance. They march around you to secure your camp whittling down territory possession, entrenching and readying for battle if they are smart. Often breaking capture at a five to fifteen percent security and going out to hunt down the hapless defenders.

If you want to pick the place to fight; You can ask, you can sign treaties, you can beg or dream.., but force and subterfuge are far more powerful tools for the placement of troops.

#30 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 30 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

View PostAudlyn, on 29 September 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

I would agree with this
If they had it set where there would be some...say...2 assault mechs, 3 heavy mechs, 5 medium mechs, and 2 light mechs per drop.
I hate to say it, but when it is dropped with some 6 assault mechs, and only 1-2 light mechs per round, there's no real option a light can do but cap in order to be of some greater value (I'd say they can scout, but why bother, no cbills or experience in it).

Why bother? Because information is what wins a game, so when you lose think about how no cbills to scouting was worth the loss. I sit back in my assault on base defense. Sometimes I don't get much cbills for it but no one caps my base either, and if it determined the other team is a bunch of bad team destruction players, I'll move up and play clean up.

#31 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostQuikshotmofo, on 30 September 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

Assault, IMO, is team deathmatch with an optional win condition so that last mech can't grief the other team by shutting down and causing them to have to wait for the time limit out unless they have the equipment to find em.

Your opinion is wrong. The mode is set up to be Capture-the-Flag. Those who attempt to play it like a Team Death Match end up losing to a base capture. And when they do, they come here to QQ about it.

#32 Ozric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,188 posts
  • LocationSunny Southsea

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

View PostFarix, on 01 October 2013 - 02:57 AM, said:

Your opinion is wrong. The mode is set up to be Capture-the-Flag. Those who attempt to play it like a Team Death Match end up losing to a base capture. And when they do, they come here to QQ about it.

His opinion is not wrong, exactly. PGI have admitted as much and used it as justification for not introducing a TDM mode (please don't ask me to find the relevant quotes though :P). In truth it is a weird match type that is nearly both things, but not quite either.

A condition of some sort before base capping is enabled really is an easy solution to all the QQ about assault, although I much prefer a 5-10 min timer over minimum kills. This would make it more of a TDM mode than a CTF, but a real CTF mode for MWO deserves more effort than the current base capture mechanics anyway and a straight up TDM mode, without bases, would be the cause of even greater QQ due to fleeing lights.

Edit: But another founder with just a few posts. Where have they all been coming from? ;)

Edited by Ozric, 01 October 2013 - 03:38 AM.

#33 Leafia Barrett

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:38 AM

View PostPEEFsmash, on 29 September 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

How about this, don't vacate your own base. You have 12 people, use them.

/thread

Because that's so thrilling, sitting there and doing nothing. Oh wait. That's EXTREMELY boring. I dunno about you, but I don't play games to sit there and do nothing waiting for an opponent that may or may not come.
And no, I'm not an assault pilot, I'm the light that inevitably ends up dealing with cappers, usually multiple cappers and almost always by myself, so sorry, you can't play the "whining assault pilot" card.

Edited by Leafia Barrett, 01 October 2013 - 03:40 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users