#1 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Giving this sytem some thought last night to have both game modes, here's what I came up with.

No respawn battles are fun, but with the amount of dying that goes on in fast paced matches I think that it would kill the game and ruin the pace to only have norespawn. I love norespawn myself, however, I think norespawn will not provide enough fast and intense action for drawing the gamers the game will need to survive. I also really enjoy the fast paced nature of respawn matches (and the practice they offer), and definitely want the option in mechwarrior online for respawn.

1. norespawn for the roleplaying/universe core game battles only - the clans invade, anything that goes on in the universe as a "real" battle is norespawn. (salvage, items, cbills to earn - yes)

2. Respawn battles permanently enabled through a "battle simulator" (no salvage, no items, only maybe ? c-bills to gain or win)

2 ques - one for respawn battles, one for norespawn battles. You can enque for both at the same time if you want, so while you wait for a norespawn bout to become available you can fight in a respawn battle in the meantime.

When you die in a norespawn battle, you can jump back into a respawn battle and enque again for the next norespawn battle.

This way, you can keep meching either way, you can play respawn if you want the faster action and practice, and yet lurking just above you is the reward, danger and thrill of norespawn. Also, this way if you die in a norespawn bout, and the match goes on for another 10 minutes while 1 uller runs away from 1 raven for 10 minutes, you dont have to sit there bored to tears until the match ends, instead you can do some respawn fragging while you wait.

Thoughts? Ideas?

#2 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

without a doubt ... no respawn ... make the battles more tactical ... don't use focused hit allocation an mechs will be active longer.

#3 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:28 PM

No respawn, I want to see missions where it matters that you took out that Atlas early on.

Respawn should only be possible for battle simulations/training.

#4 mouzerius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Locationnetherlands; terra

Posted 12 November 2011 - 12:17 PM

i`m with stormwolf.
norespawn forces players to think before the go in like chickens with out a head because the have nothing to lose.
respaw games always give a huge amount of room for rushers.

#5 Hallstatt

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:14 PM

I aggree with both up me. NO RESPAWN. This is Mechwarrior, not some Generic FPS.

The Training Mode/ Battle Simulation is what we could call a tutorial/ "singleplayer" experience, and such may have a respawn, but the player NEVER will get anything (besides practicing) from the simulation. No parts, no mechs, no c-bills, no in-game exp.

#6 Beaker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts
  • LocationPreston, UK

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:17 PM

If you go No Respawn, you'll lose about 80% of the possible gamer base, and the game will be stillborn.

Yeah lose the mech, or severly damage it, but not automatically take it away.

#7 Devlin Stone

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Well Beaker, I certainly think you should be able to salvage your own mech, given that your allies win the engagement, and given that your mech is salvageable. If your -only- mech is destroyed or lost to the enemy, I'm sure your company commander would provide you with a Locust or something comparable until you can capture something better. After all, LostTech usually only becomes lost when some dumb sod puts a round through it.

As far as during a match. . . catching a AC shell to the face should end your run, but losing a leg? In that case I'd love to try hot-wiring the mech of the last poor sod who overdosed on mech coolant. Frantically running around a battlefield full of stompy war-bots, while your squad tries to blow some extra cockpit space into a commando for you, would be epic.

(That said, it's far more likely that when your mech goes 'pop' you get a quick fly-over in an ejector pod, and move on to the next battle.)

Edited by Devlin Stone, 12 November 2011 - 02:01 PM.

#8 Kumakichi

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:12 PM

I'd like to see both Respawn and No Respawn games. No Respawn games obviously for drops that effect MWO's Inner Sphere. But I would like the ability to play Respawn games just for the enjoyment of the game itself. Having spent countless hours doing Respawn games in MW4 I think its the only want to become a better pilot. If every game was No Respawn would it not get cumbersome having to get into new games over and over? Say your in a 55 tonner working on weapon configs and all the games were No Respawn. Wouldn't it be a royal pain to have to get in and out of say a dozen games in an afternoon?

#9 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:54 PM

No Respawn = Ranked,
Respawn = social.

Both should be allowed, with different rules and setups.

#10 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

View Postwoodstock, on 11 November 2011 - 02:00 PM, said:

don't use focused hit allocation an mechs will be active longer.

I'd love to see this and a slight slowdown of recharge/reload rates in general to make fights feel less like an FPS.

View PostKumakichi, on 12 November 2011 - 02:12 PM, said:

I'd like to see both Respawn and No Respawn games. No Respawn games obviously for drops that effect MWO's Inner Sphere. But I would like the ability to play Respawn games just for the enjoyment of the game itself. Having spent countless hours doing Respawn games in MW4 I think its the only want to become a better pilot. If every game was No Respawn would it not get cumbersome having to get into new games over and over? Say your in a 55 tonner working on weapon configs and all the games were No Respawn. Wouldn't it be a royal pain to have to get in and out of say a dozen games in an afternoon?

Just means that you need to play smart and use teamwork to live longer and gain exp faster.

#11 Corsair114

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

Slower rate of fire... than what? MW4: Mercs?

No respawn is fine by me, but losing your 'mech as punishment for getting killed will kill this game fast, I think.

#12 GreyGriffin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 792 posts
  • LocationQuatre Belle (originally from Lum)

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:13 PM

While I think that no-respawn matches are a great core gameplay, let's think outside the box here.

There are a lot of cool mechanics and fluff that could be explored with limited respawn style gameplay. The first is the tournament classic Meat grinder, where you have 'mechs of each weight class, and when you die, you pop up at the edge of the map one weight class heavier.

But think about this - let's call it Hot Drop.

The game starts out normally, but you select 2 'Mechs, one main and one reserve. Once you die or retire the field, your reserve 'mech becomes available. On a team majority vote, their dropship can make a pass, hot dropping your reserve 'Mechs somewhere on the field. It'd create great strategic tension - when do you call for reinforcements? Do you suicide rush the enemy and count on your reserves to finish them off? Do you call down the thunder even though you're almost dead, and your dropship won't be able to make another run for several minutes? Do you fight to the last in your limping Centurion, hoping to do the most damage, or do you punch out for a fresh enforcer to finish the job?

#13 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

Salvage is good, but no - you shouldnt lose the mech, thatll kill the game fast. the other team might get a % chance to salvage each mech that dies but for the player to lose the mech everytime he dies is probably a little too much to ask

#14 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

How about No Respawn and limited respawn?
I can't remember if MW4 had this, but I believe MW2 did IIRC.

So say if in the league you bid 4 lances against an opponent's 3 lances (16 vs. 12).
In a 4v4 match, Team A each member has 4 lives, Team B each has 3.

Allows a smaller number of people to simulate a larger battle. Allows a little more leeway with your fighting style without removing all penalties.

The thing that scares me about No Respawn is the so-called "tactical" strategy of suicide.
So someone takes a 25 ton recon 'Mech, runs it into the nearest assault 'Mech and suicides on it causing massive splash damage and crippling or killing that 'Mech.
The recon 'Mech is down, but now the much more "valuable" assault 'Mech is either out of the fight or near enough that the next few shots will take it out.

I'm hoping that MWO doesn't include those asinine weapons like MW4's High Explosives though. . . .

#15 renegade mitchell

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

I am in favor of no respawn. More tactical and intense.

#16 Januarus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 3
  • 252 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 14 November 2011 - 05:43 PM

agree with "no respawn".

#17 John Dragon

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 52 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

I say it depends on how they're going to handle PVP, if it's just "join match" as you all are assuming then yes, no respawn would make sense. But if it's an open world where battles can break out on planets, I think u should respawn a couple systems away so it will take a bit to reenter the battle

#18 Yeach

• 1,080 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:58 AM

Need respawn games.
Nothing more frustrating than waiting a full 15 mins to half an hour dead to die immediately again on the next game (and wait another 15 mins for the next game, repeat)?
Don't people always target the weakest mech/player.

You gain no experience and it does give you a chance to try new configurations.

Actually prefer LIMITED respawn games so you don't just go die *****-nilly. Consider it you have a battalion and say your team has 36 total mechs limit to use in the engagement although gameplay limits you to 12 at one time (so approximately 3 "lives" per player).

As an aside Col Vinson, did you use a 2 UAC20 MadCat in MW3?

Edited by Yeach, 15 November 2011 - 11:59 AM.

#19 Cronicus

• Pip
  • The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

No respawn during battle.

MechWarrior had as a staple that when you died you where done until the battle was over I would rather not have call of duty style respawning because to me that would ruin the feel for mechwarrior.

Hmmm maybe "salvage" can be sometype of copy system.

Say your merc company looses the battle you get your damaged and beat up units back but your enemy gets copies of all your salvagable equipment that way people don't have to loose there prefered mech and winners can still profit from battlefield salvage.

#20 TheRulesLawyer

• 1,415 posts
  • LocationChicagoland

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

My only concern about a no-respawn system is that it slows the game down a lot. Particularly for a newer player who dies often. Finding a match takes time, loading a level takes time. Waiting for everyone to spawn takes time. Its a quick turn off to new players if they spend more time waiting to play than playing. I think its critical that the game have some sort of respawn mode so players can quickly iterate their tactics, even if its not the main game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users