I Think I Found Out What's Wrong With The Spider

78 replies to this topic

#21 JimboFBX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

why is it possible to hit a mech without hitting a hitbox anyways?

#22 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

View PostShadowSpirit, on 01 October 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Same issue with the centurion ... known issue .. hit boxes on cent, treb, and spider or just plain broken.

I have not seen the Treb version. I've seen the Cent one already.

#23 ShadowSpirit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • 341 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:22 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 01 October 2013 - 09:07 PM, said:

I have not seen the Treb version. I've seen the Cent one already.

The issue with the treb .... damage spreads to the CT or the CT hitbox overlaps. Shoot a treb with a few LRMs and you'll see the CT blown away vastly faster than every other part.

#24 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostShadowSpirit, on 01 October 2013 - 09:22 PM, said:

The issue with the treb .... damage spreads to the CT or the CT hitbox overlaps. Shoot a treb with a few LRMs and you'll see the CT blown away vastly faster than every other part.

Hmmm, I haven't really paid attention to that... I'll look into it.

It kinda sounds like the BJs and Streaks...

#25 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:34 PM

This seems to replicate issues I've had hitting them.

#26 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

View PostShadowSpirit, on 01 October 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Same issue with the centurion ... known issue .. hit boxes on cent, treb, and spider are just plain broken.

They REALLY have to fix these hit boxes before they make mechs more modular IMO. FIx balance then fix pretty.

#27 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:03 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 01 October 2013 - 02:17 PM, said:

Interesting find. testing ground bug?

Possibly.

However: I've seen this kind of behaviour (or something very similar) online as well. Spider was backing away slowly and in a straight line from me, hit him with AC20 3 times from close range. "Hit" him dead center... only on the 4th "hit" did he actually die.

On another occasion I snuck up on a stationary spider who was taking potshots at my buddies from a mountain-peak on Alpine. Parked my Phract 4X right on his butt and at ultra-close range. He never moved. Aimed at his rear CT and held down the alpha-strike button with 4x AC5. He didn't die.

S.

#28 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:05 AM

View Post1Sascha, on 02 October 2013 - 12:03 AM, said:

Possibly.

However: I've seen this kind of behaviour (or something very similar) online as well. Spider was backing away slowly and in a straight line from me, hit him with AC20 3 times from close range. "Hit" him dead center... only on the 4th "hit" did he actually die.

On another occasion I snuck up on a stationary spider who was taking potshots at my buddies from a mountain-peak on Alpine. Parked my Phract 4X right on his butt and at ultra-close range. He never moved. Aimed at his rear CT and held down the alpha-strike button with 4x AC5. He didn't die.

S.

This has only happened to me once, months ago on a stationary spider. in the last 3 months I don't think i've had a single no-reg on spiders.

To hit the same "dead-spot" like shown in above video over and over seems unlikely if the mech is moving. Must be another issue at work here, to do with ping/HSR

Edited by Colonel Pada Vinson, 02 October 2013 - 12:05 AM.

#29 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:25 AM

View PostColonel Pada Vinson, on 02 October 2013 - 12:05 AM, said:

This has only happened to me once, months ago on a stationary spider. in the last 3 months I don't think i've had a single no-reg on spiders.

To hit the same "dead-spot" like shown in above video over and over seems unlikely if the mech is moving. Must be another issue at work here, to do with ping/HSR

I think it's evidence of the hitbox problem, not the sole hitbox problem.

#30 Hydrophobia

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:36 AM

Well I might just buy a Spider, they are sure to fix the issue then (they added that over the top Jump Jets shake a few days after I bought a Highlander :D)

I think ALL the mechs really need a revision of hit boxes (and sizes of mechs), I find the Cataphract and Catapult seem to register a majority of the damage in the CT, it sucks to effectively have only like 60 armor.
(yes I do the twist and such, but I rarely lose arms or legs in those two and don't get cored a fraction as often while in other mechs)

#31 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:49 AM

(yes I do the twist and such, but I rarely lose arms or legs in those two and don't get cored a fraction as often while in other mechs)

Dunno.. I seem to be able to take out Phract side-torsos quite well with my STK-laserboat. Aim for the vertical "strut" on the side and they soon lose that side.

And the CAT's side torso is really tiny and hard to hit anyway. Just aim for the cockpit. Even if you miss it, you'll still get a CT-hit. Just like Mel Gibson said: "Aim small, miss small".. :D

S.

#32 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:52 AM

View PostHydrophobia, on 02 October 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

Well I might just buy a Spider, they are sure to fix the issue then (they added that over the top Jump Jets shake a few days after I bought a Highlander :D)

How about everybody buy and run spiders all the time? Maybe then the issue will be big enough for PGI to actually work on it.

#33 John MatriX82

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,398 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:26 AM

View Postaniviron, on 01 October 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

So I was messing around in the testing grounds today while waiting for the servers to come back online properly. Then I accidentally stumbled across this:

Apparently the center of the Spider has a dead zone where projectiles go to die. I wasn't able to replicate this bug with laser fire, but with repeated relaunching and restarting I can reliably target a spot right in the middle of the mech where missiles and ballistics hit for no damage. It's not a huge hole, but it is right in the middle of the mech, where everyone aims. So I think I've found out what's wrong with the spider.

I've also noticed (by a long time) that often if you hit any mech within the "seam" between two different hitboxes (like the line among a CT and the RT) several times one or more hits doesn't even completely register.

The spider's hitboxes are so tiny that statistically you'll land many shots in between those seams, that's why they are so durable. Also lasers crossing on Cents and other things seen in this thread have already brought up during the latest months with no response :/

#34 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

You noobs, spiders are fine, L2P!

/sarcasm

#35 Hillslam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationWestern Hemisphere

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:29 AM

Contributing to the issue is - pure speculation here - is that the weapon projectiles (and beams of the energy weapons) have a cross section and are no pinpoint zero width affairs. So the intersection could impact multiple triangles, and therefore hitboxes.

The smaller the size the higher the chances the hit is spread around.

This is worst when a large round clips the side of a mech. Does the game only apply that % of the projectile that intersects? If so that needs looked at.

#36 Aggressor666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 158 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:40 AM

its not just SRM's I alpha'd an LBX10 and 2 medlasers last night at one even closer than that 70-80 meters it wasnt juking left or right just bearing down on me in a strait line and go figure I did NO dmg...NOW I know why

#37 Monky

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostAym, on 01 October 2013 - 11:38 PM, said:

They REALLY have to fix these hit boxes before they make mechs more modular IMO. FIx balance then fix pretty.

If different weapons change the hit boxes, you kind of have to have the weapons fixed and ready before the hitboxes get fixed.

#38 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:58 AM

I can concur that autocannons and SRMs seem to bounce off of even stationary spiders in-game.

#39 Albert Meyburgh

Systems Engineer

• 74 posts
  • Location404

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

beautiful find! thanks!

#40 WM Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 171 posts
  • LocationQuit breaking the game, or changing irrelevant stuff and fix the bugs from closed beta.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:13 AM

View Postsrccoder, on 02 October 2013 - 10:05 AM, said:

beautiful find! thanks!

Woohoo! Half a day after the post we get some Dev lovin' !!!

Glad it caught somebodies attention. I was getting worried that it would not. While at it, please note the Founders Atlas/F variant hit box problem thread as well!

Also note, disconnects are still happening on the new map.

Edited by CyBerWraith, 02 October 2013 - 10:14 AM.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users