I Think I Found Out What's Wrong With The Spider

78 replies to this topic

#41 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

A lot of spider exploiting posters about to eat crow... *cough* mehlan *cough*.

Curious, I went in and tried it for myself. Yup behaves just as shown above.

I found a couple spots where no damage registered.

I think there are gaps in the spiders triangles and pgi is doing planar intersection detection instead of volumetric inclusion calculation. Miss the triangle, miss the mech.
Spider exploiting posters huh? Work on your reading comprehension a bit more then get back to me... you explain to us why lasers work, ballistics(?) & Srms don't and if we 'know' ppc does/doesn't encounter the same. (cant view the vid currently to see what exact weapons were used )

Edited by Mehlan, 02 October 2013 - 11:51 AM.

#42 Namicus

• PipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 81 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

I can confirm this happens with gauss too. I dual gaussed a spider twice to the back at 80 m and no damage registered. I thought it a bit odd 60 damage to the back wouldn't bring down a spider...

#43 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:56 PM

Posted ImageEAT IT!

(only image i could find on short notice that wasnt HUGE resolution(zombie/crow))

Edited by user5318, 02 October 2013 - 12:58 PM.

#44 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:01 PM

View Postaniviron, on 01 October 2013 - 02:04 PM, said:

Apparently the center of the Spider has a dead zone where projectiles go to die ...

Posted Image

Goodbye my friend. It was great while our secret was undiscovered. :P :D :(

Edited by Mystere, 02 October 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#45 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

that bug is not down just to spiders.
same with cicada's too

#46 Mehlan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationTx

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:18 PM

View PostCybermech, on 02 October 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

same with cicada's too

and a report of the same with a cataphract...

#47 Funkadelic Mayhem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,811 posts
  • LocationOrokin Void

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

WITCHCRAFT! BURN THE SPIDER WITCH!

#48 AC

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

View PostShadowSpirit, on 01 October 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

Same issue with the centurion ... known issue .. hit boxes on cent, treb, and spider are just plain broken.

As one of the very few people who actually drive the Treb, I can't say that I have realized that there are issues with the hitboxes. Shots always seem to damage me, so if there are issues, they must be pretty minor. Also, something to remember is the size difference. The spider is what? The size of a Centurions leg? PGI REALLY needs to go through all the mechs in the game and rescale them. I am not sure if it is a pride thing or what, but the mech scales are way off and this is something that is truly important in a video game. Cent hit box issues are really non existent because of the size of the mech, where the spiders is a major issue.

#49 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:25 PM

View PostAC, on 02 October 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

As one of the very few people who actually drive the Treb, I can't say that I have realized that there are issues with the hitboxes. Shots always seem to damage me, so if there are issues, they must be pretty minor. Also, something to remember is the size difference. The spider is what? The size of a Centurions leg? PGI REALLY needs to go through all the mechs in the game and rescale them. I am not sure if it is a pride thing or what, but the mech scales are way off and this is something that is truly important in a video game. Cent hit box issues are really non existent because of the size of the mech, where the spiders is a major issue.

Plot twist: the Awesome is so fragile because it's the only mech in the game that isn't broken.

#50 Xandre Blackheart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts
  • LocationIn the "cockpit".

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:43 PM

Don't forget the Orion's collar. It's a similar issue, able to catch shots on the front center torso from any direction.

#51 Banditman

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:31 PM

View Postaniviron, on 02 October 2013 - 05:25 PM, said:

Plot twist: the Awesome is so fragile because it's the only mech in the game that isn't broken.

True story.

#52 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

Spider has 18% more armor points than a Commando while going the same speed (+- 2kph), yet it it immensely more durable. Once I put 200 SRMS in one and it didn't die. While I enjoy trolling people in one, I'm also looking forward to fixing its hit boxes.

PROTIP: For the time being, aim your AC20 at its legs. Leg hit boxes seem to better register damage .

#53 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:43 AM

Don't forget the Orion's collar. It's a similar issue, able to catch shots on the front center torso from any direction.

That's almost getting OT here, but if they're gonna fix that, they should also remove the Jäger's antenna-mast from the CT-hitbox. Or how about the err "crest" on top of the Centurion's head which is also part of the CT? Or the, errrmm, "private parts" on the Atlas which are also part of the CT?

I don't see how in RL any hits to any of these parts would endanger the Mechs' reactors in any way. I guess what the hit-detection-system needs is a category of parts which can be damaged and blown off, but whose destruction would only cause "cosmetic" damage and not critical damage. Even better if removal of some parts would result in new kinds of damage. Like blowing off the Jäger's antenna would reduce the effectiveness of its sensors or something.

S.

#54 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 October 2013 - 06:32 AM

View Post1Sascha, on 03 October 2013 - 12:43 AM, said:

That's almost getting OT here, but if they're gonna fix that, they should also remove the Jäger's antenna-mast from the CT-hitbox. Or how about the err "crest" on top of the Centurion's head which is also part of the CT? Or the, errrmm, "private parts" on the Atlas which are also part of the CT?

I don't see how in RL any hits to any of these parts would endanger the Mechs' reactors in any way. I guess what the hit-detection-system needs is a category of parts which can be damaged and blown off, but whose destruction would only cause "cosmetic" damage and not critical damage. Even better if removal of some parts would result in new kinds of damage. Like blowing off the Jäger's antenna would reduce the effectiveness of its sensors or something.

S.

I think this is something that could be add in a distant future when our hard-working devs *cough* have time.

For example hitting the Atlas crotch would only damage its gyro (every mech has its gyro in the hip between the legs). Engine crits could also be coming some day.

#55 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

View PostCyBerWraith, on 01 October 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

This continues to happen in games. My dual AC20 Jaeger hit a shutdown spider (overheated) Center Torso with no effect last week. Week before that - Spider running straight at me took 3 shots of Dual AC20s CT. Same week, Spider stood toe to toe with my Cataphract with Dual AC10s, machine gunnned me until I died while I repeatedly hit CT with little to no damage.

Mechanics of the game are seriously broken when a spider can toe to toe stand still in front of a Heavy or Assault and shoot that mech until they are dead and not die in seconds themselves.

Please, please look in to this. This is as bad as the dragon bowling or any other exploit.

Its ok, i even manged to do 0 damage with an LBX.. ..with spread like that how is that possible.

I think there are issues in general forming though, i have noticed its much harder to hit commandos and jenners too - so i feel like hit detection has taken two steps back.. ..again..

#56 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:28 AM

easy workaround to the whole issue right now:never shoot cents or spiders in the torso shoot them in the legs instead personally i think people should do that anyway because of how those mechs are but as a spider and cent pilot (unrelated to these issues i didnt even know when i started using them) ive noticed that 80+percent of the time they dont shoot you anywhere but the torso (and the arms on the cent)

#57 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:33 AM

View PostHydrophobia, on 02 October 2013 - 01:36 AM, said:

Well I might just buy a Spider, they are sure to fix the issue then (they added that over the top Jump Jets shake a few days after I bought a Highlander :D)

I think ALL the mechs really need a revision of hit boxes (and sizes of mechs), I find the Cataphract and Catapult seem to register a majority of the damage in the CT, it sucks to effectively have only like 60 armor.
(yes I do the twist and such, but I rarely lose arms or legs in those two and don't get cored a fraction as often while in other mechs)
simple answer: on the catapult the whole egg shaped part is counted as CT,however that was intended the fract ive never used so idk

#58 Cactus In The Rear

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:53 AM

View PostCybermech, on 02 October 2013 - 02:08 PM, said:

same with cicada's too

im pretty sure the cicada issue is one that isnt favorable to the pilot ive had an X-5 for months and ive noticed and enormously disproportionate amount of damage goes to my CT

#59 TheFlyingScotsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:15 AM

As a longtime hardcore spider pilot, I can attest that I have taken and dealt shots in/with spiders that hit CT directly and dealt no damage.

The CT is broken and needs to be fixed.

#60 retakrew7

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

Seriously this should be fixed ASAP.

This is game-breaking.

Edited by retakrew7, 04 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users