- - - - -

Striker/skirmisher Mechs

14 replies to this topic

#1 Spud Nick

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Looking for a few mechs to buy that would be a good striker or skirmisher. I am not sure if I should be looking at mediums or heavies. Does it matter what weapons they have (energy, missiles, auto cannons) or is it more about player preference?

#2 Swords to Plowshares

• PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 08:33 PM

When you say striker, I take that to mean fast ( at least 80 kph ) and well armed enough to cause noticeable damage before exiting the battle, but not built to stop and just suffer through damage. The Jenner is a prime example of a light mech that is all about being a striker. If you want blazing speed, jump jets, and a solid punch you can't go wrong in a Jenner. Mediums are flexible and you can imagine squeezing just about any of them into the role, but only the Cicada and Centurion 9D are capable of truly high speed. The dragon and quickdraw are two heavy mechs that can fit extremely large engines. The dragon runs fast and low and puts almost all weapons on the arms. It is good to practice being able to make snap shots with it and twist your torso a lot. The quickdraw is jump jet equipped and carries an energy and missile load out as opposes to the ballistic arm/energy arm/missile torso spread of dragons, but the quickdraw puts more of those weapons on the torso instead of the arms so you have to directly face your target at least for a split second.

After the dragon and quickdraw, you can still make some very fast mechs, but those two are kind of at the end of the scale at which your engine can take you past 100 kph without paying an insane cost in engine weight.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:56 AM

You need to look a little closer at how fast you want to go and what guns you want to bring when you get there. "Striker" is a bit of a looser definition than a "Brawler" for example. There are choices available for all weight classes, depending on what speed you want and what guns you want.

Heavies can be a solid choice but they are more expensive, so it may take you longer to get them bought and upgraded. I wonder what you chose for your Elite Founder mech?

#4 Itsalrightwithme

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 391 posts
  • LocationCambridge, MA, USA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:02 AM

Like Redshift2k5 said, it is not clear what you are looking for, you need to clarify.

My Victor Dragon Slayer runs an XL360 and goes 80kph with JJ, pretty much the most maneuverable assault since it can equip JJ and is only 80tons. If you want faster you need to go down in tonnage to a Dragon, it can go much faster at 107kph with the same engine.

#5 MortVent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Locationother side of the ridge firing lrms at ya

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:19 AM

Also look for jump capable, a striker/harrier needs to be as mobile as possible. And if you can operate jump jets well (especially with the new changes to them) you'll be able to hit them from directions they don't expect

The blackjacks, trebuchet, quickdraw, jenner, spider, victor, and maybe highlander all fit the role pretty much.

With the exceptions of the assaults, you'll find a focus on 2 weapon systems in most :
missiles and energy (Tebuchet, Quickdraw, some Jenners)
energy and ballistics (Blackjack, Spider)

If they are not built around full energy weapons

Energy weapons are nice, if you don't mind the slashing damage as you jink and dodge
Missiles are iffy (I pilot catapults mostly) SRMS are okay but have to be lined up for the shot, but the LRM is a rough one some matches/maps with you needing a lock
Ballistics are direct fire (lbx = bird gun) so you have to line up the shots

#6 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:20 AM

Kintaros with an XL350 or XL360 are quite fast, 103 and 106 without tweak. The Kintaro is fairly large and has a big CT but it is a great hit and run mech. The 18 with 5 SSRMs and two MLs is deadly against lights and can put a big hurt on mediums and heavies. I run a 20 with 4 MLs and 3 ASRM4s which is also quite fun.

#7 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

KTO-19 - mine runs Endo, XL300, doubles, 4SRM6 and 3ML. Runs 97.2kph after speed-tweak. 63-point alpha
KTO-20 - Endo, XL300, doubles, 3SRM6, ERLL, 2ML. 55-point alpha

These are my favourite strikers right now. Get in, unload, get out, new pass, get in, unload...

#8 Hex Pallett

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:49 AM

Hunchbacks.

Dirt cheap comparing to anything else, easily upgradable with STD275 (or 250 if you'd go with the two ballistic variants with AC20) which makes it very fast for its size and firepower. Perfect for hit 'n run and late-game moshpit battle.

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

Right now my two favorite striker builds are the Jenner-F with 5 or 6 medium lasers, and the Hunchback-4P with a STD 275, 6 mediums lasers and 3 smalls.

Once HSR issues for SRMs get worked out the Jenner-D with 4 mediums and 2 SRM4s and the Hunchback-4SP with 4 mediums and two SRM6s should be pretty decent too.

#10 Nryrony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 427 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 01:52 PM

View PostSpud Nick, on 01 October 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Looking for a few mechs to buy that would be a good striker or skirmisher. I am not sure if I should be looking at mediums or heavies. Does it matter what weapons they have (energy, missiles, auto cannons) or is it more about player preference?

Depends on what you want.

If you like fast mechs with firepower, for backstabbing or duels take a Jenner.

Try to sneak up from behind and shoot them in the back. If you get detected run.

You are also able to duel with most mechs, but don't fight multiple ones when you are alone.

Staying in the light pack works fine too.

However all mechs require practice - lights get killed quickly (in therms of armor) but an Atlas drops even faster if he is the focus of the attention...

Edited by Nryrony, 02 October 2013 - 01:55 PM.

#11 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 02 October 2013 - 02:04 PM

You want mechs that move pretty quickly and can still pack a bit of a punch. Kintaros fit that bill pretty well, but so do the Centurians with upgraded engines (or the D), or even a Treb or Hunchie in the medium bracket.

Quickdraws are probably one of the best blends of speed and firepower out there right now. With large engines, lots of lasers, and reasonable armor they're not too bad. Dragons should fit too, but those hitboxes.... Orions can be built to be strikers too in the heavies. Even a K2 Catapult can be a striker if you fit an XL300 or larger in it. Cataphrats are too slow, and Jeagers are better weapons platforms that fast striker mechs IMHO.

Victors also make good strikers for an assault if you stick an XL in them.

In the phoenix package, the Wolverine, Battlemaster, Thunderbolt, and Shadowhawk all can make good strikers. I'd avoid the Griffin as a striker for durability concerns (Lose the weapon side, you're toast)

Edited by Bront, 02 October 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#12 Enialis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:06 PM

Blackjacks fit the bill rather well. Tend to carry a lot of firepower for the weight, coupled with high speed (-1X) or jumpjets (-1, -3). They are fragile as they tend to use XL engines, so keep that in mind.

Example loadouts:

BJ-1 AC/20 + 3ML: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df305cd44809b98
BJ-1X 8ML: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7aad1d60f09594a

Can also use AC/10, Gauss, or LB-10X on the BJ-1. BJ-1X builds sometimes splash MPL/SPL in with the ML's. BJ-3's tend to run Large Lasers or PPC's as primary weapons but I don't have a great build on hand for that one.

As others have mentioned, the most of other mediums variants & builds that fit the role. Heavies you're stuck with Dragon or Quickdraw mostly. Assault's mostly the Victor with a couple exceptions.

#13 Lachlan Truefire

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationMy bar stool at the Screaming Calf, Jungle, Cathay, Solaris VII

Posted 02 October 2013 - 05:23 PM

I enjoy Cicadas for hit and run work; they have a bit more armor then a light and are pretty fast. Personally, I love the X-5 for dealing my damage and getting out fast.

#14 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 October 2013 - 06:10 PM

The Cicadas can keep up with the fastest lights, but at the expense of weapons or armor. Still, equipped right, and with the right team they can be deadly and a lot of fun. I am also really enjoying running the Kintaros right now. The 18 with 5 streaks and 2 medium lasers is a beast. I have taken down a lot bigger mechs with it, and lights either run away, or they die. It's great when light drivers don't fully realize this yet.

Edited by mailin, 02 October 2013 - 06:10 PM.

#15 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

Centurian 9A with Endosteel, Double Heat Sinks, 2 Medium Lasers and 3 SRM4's and a 275 STD Engine will be a very good striker. It's surprisingly difficult, goes 89 KPH at first, then 98 KPH when you get Speed Tweak.
CN9-A

Very highly recommended.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users