Can we choose our allegiance?

9 replies to this topic

Poll: Choosing our side? (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like the basic idea of the system?

1. Nope. (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

2. Like it! (11 votes [44.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.00%

3. Needs some improvement. (12 votes [48.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 48.00%

4. Indifferent, don't care. (1 votes [4.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:41 PM

So, when I join a game, is it like most FPS games where I am just thrown into a team at the start and forced to use their technology, or will it be like MW4 that doesn't have any sense of "allegiance" besides Team Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green?

I was thinking that whenever we make a pilot, we can choose that pilots allegiance. Houses, Merc Units, or Clans. When you create a pilot, you are given 12 options (for example).
  • Free Worlds League
  • Capellan Confederation
  • Lyran Commonwealth
  • Draconis Combine
  • Eridani Light Horse
  • Wolf's Dragoons
  • Gray Death Legion
  • Kell Hounds
  • Wolf
  • Smoke Jaguar
  • Jade Falcon
  • Ghost Bear
Your restrictions and benefits depend on which you choose, and how you progress.
  • If you join a Successor State, you are limited to Inner Sphere mechs, but you do not need to pay or work for them, you can choose whatever the mission demands.
  • If you join a Mercenary Unit, you can use Clan or Inner Sphere mechs, but are required to pay for them using C-Bills, making this more of a grind.
  • If you join a Clan, you are limited to Clan mechs. The mechs you can use are determined by how well you fight in combat.
I'm sure this could be made to work somehow, this is just a rough draft of the idea. Improve upon it as you please. And yes, each account can make multiple pilots, so you aren't going to be limited to one of the options of course!

Edited by Zakatak, 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM.

#2 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:45 PM

I think that this is the general idea for MWO.

#3 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM

Not the idea for MWO at all. I voted Needs Improvement because it does.
Keep in mind we are all going to be Mercs but we may be able choose a sponsor that is a Successor state. Otherwise we will be sponsored by Merc Companies.

Also, we of coarse don't know yet but, we may not be starting with Clan mechs in the game at all. Since the game will be staged 2 years or so before the Clan Invasion. We'll see.

#4 CeeKay Boques

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:56 PM

View Postomega5-9er, on 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

Keep in mind we are all going to be Mercs but we may be able choose a sponsor that is a Successor state. Otherwise we will be sponsored by Merc Companies.

Also, we of coarse don't know yet but, we may not be starting with Clan mechs in the game at all. Since the game will be staged 2 years or so before the Clan Invasion. We'll see.

It wasn't until I read this I realized the houses will be "Quest givers". Oh well.

#5 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:58 PM

View Postomega5-9er, on 11 November 2011 - 02:53 PM, said:

I always thought that 1 year in development time = 1 year in the Battletech timeline.

I read somewhere that they started development in 3048, so when this game is released in Q3/Q4 of 2012, it will late 3049 in the B-Tech timeline. The Invasion happened in August 3049, so technically, the Clan Invasion should occur right on the release date, right? Correct me if I am wrong.

Edited by Zakatak, 11 November 2011 - 02:59 PM.

#6 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

View PostZakatak, on 11 November 2011 - 02:58 PM, said:

I always thought that 1 year in development time = 1 year in the Battletech timeline.

I read somewhere that they started development in 3048, so when this game is released in Q3/Q4 of 2012, it will late 3049 in the B-Tech timeline. The Invasion happened in August 3049, so technically, the Clan Invasion should occur right on the release date, right? Correct me if I am wrong.

[I was mistaken so I deleted this.]
*EDIT* You are indeed correct.
This is from Sarna.net, "The Clan Invasion (known to the Clans as Operation Revival) refers to the massive Clan invasion of the Inner Sphere, commencing with the arrival of Clans Jade Falcon, Wolf, Ghost Bear, and Smoke Jaguar in the near, coreward Periphery (The Rift and The Draconian Drift) in August, 3049. The Clan Invasion would continue for two and one-half years, and increase in scope to include three more Invading Clans, but would end with the the Battle of Tukayyid in June, 3052."

Now something I noticed is that the invasion took place in August 3049, and the game's release would be Summer 3049, so does that mean there will still be some time that the clans will not be in the game or will some clan 'mechs release with launch and more be added later?

Edited by omega5-9er, 11 November 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#7 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

Or maybe development began in 3049, which would make the release in 3050...

Hmmm. Maybe this idea can be implemented for later. Can somebody clarify? In the FAQ, where it asks "Will the Clans be in the game?", the answer is ":)", which likely means yes.

I read through the website a little more. Will it basically be like Battlestar Online, but with 5 Houses fighting for worlds instead of Cylons vs. Humans fighting for solar systems?

#8 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:12 PM

View PostZakatak, on 11 November 2011 - 03:07 PM, said:

Or maybe development began in 3049, which would make the release in 3050...

Hmmm. Maybe this idea can be implemented for later. Can somebody clarify? In the FAQ, where it asks "Will the Clans be in the game?", the answer is " :)", which likely means yes.

I read through the website a little more. Will it basically be like Battlestar Online, but with 5 Houses fighting for worlds instead of Cylons vs. Humans fighting for solar systems?

It's specifically said we're in 3048 right now. The game will releases summer 2049. I believe that was in the FAQ.
And we don't know how the planets will work yet.

#9 GargoyleKDR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 404 posts
  • LocationBlaine, WA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

View PostZakatak, on 11 November 2011 - 02:41 PM, said:

So, when I join a game, is it like most FPS games where I am just thrown into a team at the start and forced to use their technology, or will it be like MW4 that doesn't have any sense of "allegiance" besides Team Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green?

Per the FAQ when we create a pilot we will have to select a Great House to align with. Each Great House has its own benefits and drawbacks.

Per the FAQ and Game description page Merc Corps are guilds of players that can bid and fight for occupation rights on various border planets between the Great Houses. They will be able to challenge other Merc Corps for control of the planet.

What we don't know at this time is how the bidding operates, or how a Great House functions. Are the Great Houses NPC type interfaces so there is no DIRECT player chain of command (CoC)? Do Merc Corps band together to operate for a common goal, therefore functionally operating as a Great House?

Another thing we don't know is can a pilot that aligned with one Great House join and participate in a Merc Company that bids and operates for a different Great House? Does the pilot selection only affect the Mechs available to that pilot? Does the Great House the Merc Company is working for affect the availability of Mechs a pilot can buy?

Then there's the question of if a pilot isn't participating in a Merc Company battle do they battle on a random border planet of the Great House they are aligned with or do they get to choose "battle on planet X"?

Right now we have more questions than answers.

- Garg.

Edited by GargoyleKDR, 11 November 2011 - 03:51 PM.

#10 Hodo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,058 posts
  • LocationArkab

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:16 PM

You should not be able to join any mercs, Expecially the Dragoons.

Lastly I dont think anyone should be able to join the clans either. Only because I hate the clans all together. I think the game should be based in the Fourth Succession War not in the Clan Invasion.

Yeah that will be fun, lets fight the WAY more numerous Clan players, because they will draw players like flies to a t ur d in Savanna heat with a honey dip coating. All the while using lesser technology.

Because at this point in the history of Battletech, most Innersphere Houses havent upgraded most of their units. Only the "elite" units have received the new "lost" tech. And even then, according to the 3039 Readout by Fasa, the numbers is close to 30% of all House units are outfitted with the new tech by 3049.

Oh and you have the wrong house listed.

In 3048-49, its not Lyran Commonwealth, its the Federated Commonwealth. They were merged in 3030.

(proud member of the 12th Galedon Regulars and I fought at the battle of Crossing.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users