Please Just Remove Ssrm's Until You Find A Proper Mechanic For Them.

575 replies to this topic

#1 Kunae

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:32 AM

As they are currently, SSRMs are stupidly overpowered vs lights and many mediums. This is especially true when you have mechs, such as the Kintaro-18 which can boat 5 of them. This mech can also move ~115kph, which makes them hard to run away from or avoid.

That's 25 auto-hit damage every 3.5 seconds. It doesn't matter, on a light or a medium, that that damage is potentially spread over a number of different hit locations. With ~190 armor on a light and ~300 armor on a medium, that's around 9-14% of your total armor every 3.5 seconds. It doesn't take very long, with those numbers, for these mechs to be dead or legged(which is just dead, a couple seconds later).

There is no justification to have an auto-hit weapon in an FPS. This removes all skill from the fight. Please consider removing them from the game until a better mechanic can be put in place. There is a precedence, you removed knockdowns because of their game-breaking mechanics, and you could do the same with SSRMs.

#2 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:36 AM

View PostKunae, on 02 October 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

As they are currently, SSRMs are stupidly overpowered vs lights and many mediums.

2012 is thataway --> http://mwomercs.com/...orum/9-general/

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:39 AM

View PostSephlock, on 02 October 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

2013 is thisaway: KTO-19

But seriously, I do really own Kintaros and they do really $#%@ up enemy lights and mediums for very little effort.

#4 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

Your answer to your Spider Problems !!

#5 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

View PostSephlock, on 02 October 2013 - 11:36 AM, said:

They were OP then, and their rebuff has made them OP again. What's your point?

View PostNgamok, on 02 October 2013 - 11:42 AM, said:

Your answer to your Spider Problems !!

If the problem is with spiders, then they should fix spiders, not put in a broken mechanic that hurts all other lights and meds, too.

#6 FrDrake

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:45 AM

So because some mechs choose to boat them, the weapon system needs to be nerfed. It seems like I've heard this argument before about something else......

At 1.5 dmg everyone claimed they weren't worth the hardpoint, at 2.5 some feel it's OP, maybe tie the dmg back to the SRM dmg at 2 and everyone will meet in the middle?

Is a 20 dmg alpha every 3.5 seconds enough to make it balanced?

#7 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:47 AM

View PostFupDup, on 02 October 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

But seriously, I do really own Kintaros and they do really $#%@ up enemy lights and mediums for very little effort.

Isn't that what they are supposed to do though?

A dedicated streak boat shouldn't be a bad mech, but we just don't want it to be like the old streak boat days where it owned everything.

It's not like streaks are dominating the light game right now either, they just work on a platform that can take many as a dedicated light killer.

#8 Zyllos

• 2,818 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

SSRMs should be set back to 2.0. Never really understood why they were placed to 2.5.

#9 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

yeah...ahm... working as intended?

You have a dedicated light hunter that can't do **** against mechs with the same or higher weight. It's supposed to work against lights pretty well. And don't tell me you can't outrun a mech with laughable 115kph. seriously, you shouldn't be slower than 140 in a light. ever.

#10 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

View PostFrDrake, on 02 October 2013 - 11:45 AM, said:

So because some mechs choose to boat them, the weapon system needs to be nerfed. It seems like I've heard this argument before about something else......

At 1.5 dmg everyone claimed they weren't worth the hardpoint, at 2.5 some feel it's OP, maybe tie the dmg back to the SRM dmg at 2 and everyone will meet in the middle?

Is a 20 dmg alpha every 3.5 seconds enough to make it balanced?

No, it's not about a mech being able to boat them. It's about the weapon-system. I used Kintaro's as an example, because they, with their ability to carry 5, and move 116kph, are the worst offenders of them. They are also OP in any number.

The principle is auto-hit weapons. While they were usable at 1.5, they still shouldn't have been in the game. When they rebuffed them, out of the blue, back to 2.5, it really exacerbated the issue.

#11 Dymlos2003

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,473 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:49 AM

A build meant to kill mediums and lights is killing mediums and lights.... Oh the humanity!!

#12 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:50 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 02 October 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

A dedicated streak boat shouldn't be a bad mech, but we just don't want it to be like the old streak boat days where it owned everything.

It's not like streaks are dominating the light game right now either, they just work on a platform that can take many as a dedicated light killer.

Why are streaks anti-light weapons? Do you see anyone complaining about people exploiting or boating SRM2's?

It's a broken mechanic that is broken. The mechanic chosen for SSRMs, by PGI, is just bad, and should be rethought.

#13 FrDrake

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,086 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:51 AM

View PostKunae, on 02 October 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

No, it's not about a mech being able to boat them. It's about the weapon-system. I used Kintaro's as an example, because they, with their ability to carry 5, and move 116kph, are the worst offenders of them. They are also OP in any number.

The principle is auto-hit weapons. While they were usable at 1.5, they still shouldn't have been in the game. When they rebuffed them, out of the blue, back to 2.5, it really exacerbated the issue.

So 1 SSRM2 on a mech in your consideration is also broken?

#14 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:52 AM

View Post627, on 02 October 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

yeah...ahm... working as intended?

You have a dedicated light hunter that can't do **** against mechs with the same or higher weight. It's supposed to work against lights pretty well. And don't tell me you can't outrun a mech with laughable 115kph. seriously, you shouldn't be slower than 140 in a light. ever.

Do you even play this game? The relative speed difference between 115kph and 150kph isn't that huge. But that even becomes less relevant when you consider that a light has zero chance to kill a Streak-Kint, if they need to fight them. None.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 02 October 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Of course Streaks are supposed to be useful, but the thing is that they currently discriminate against specific weight classes when they really shouldn't. SSRM2 should "ideally" just be a regular SRM2 that tracks where your reticule was aimed when you fired (as opposed to normal SRM dumbfire) for a higher chance of hitting. Right now, it's an almost guaranteed hit that requires effectively no skill whatsoever to utilize because you don't have to aim at the desired hit location; the game chooses where you hit and lets you hit even if your crosshairs are nowhere near the enemy mech.

#16 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:54 AM

View PostFrDrake, on 02 October 2013 - 11:51 AM, said:

So 1 SSRM2 on a mech in your consideration is also broken?

Yep.

It's no where near as devastating as 5, but it's 5pts of auto-hit damage, which shouldn't be in the game. Think of it. Someone gives you an AC5, with a 3.5sec recharge, range of 270m, weighs effectively 2.5t, but it hits automatically every time you fire it. Is that balanced?

#17 BlackIronTarkus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationBehind you, breathing on your neck.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

Command console.

No use, ingame since forever, game is released, still no use... and you expect them to remove something? Yeah right.

#18 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostKunae, on 02 October 2013 - 11:32 AM, said:

That's 25 auto-hit damage every 3.5 seconds. It doesn't matter, on a light or a medium, that that damage is potentially invariably spread over a number of different hit locations, including already-destroyed legs, and with a relatively low probability to hit any one torso section. With ~190 armor on a light and ~300 armor on a medium, that's around 9-14% of your total armor every 3.5 seconds not counting the cow fecal matter targeting of already destroyed legs and borked probability of hitting a given torso section. It doesn't take very long, with those numbers, for these mechs to be dead or legged(which is just dead, a couple seconds later),

too bad "these mechs" in this case, refers to any mechs that rely on SSRMs that doesn't boat them.

There is no justification to have an auto-hit weapon in an FPS. This removes all skill from the fight. Please consider removing them from the game until a better mechanic can be put in place. There is a precedence, you removed knockdowns because of their game-breaking mechanics, and you could do the same with SSRMs.

I agree, maneuvering *both using terrain and keeping an eye on the relative positions of your team's mechs and the enemy mechs in relation to each other* and using terrain *both to minimize your exposure and maximize the exposure time of the enemy during the proper windows of opportunity, and to take advantage of quick escape routes and obstacles if you have JJs or a better engine* play no part in this game.

We should also remove LRMs and all lasers, since the latter take even less skill than the guided missile weapons due to them being hitscan!

What? Lasers aren't auto-hit due to you needing to move the reticle over the enemy before pulling the trigger?

What a coincidence!

Oh wait... you're referring to the fact that you have a brief window of time that can be made slightly less brief with a module, wherein you can pull the trigger and still have a CHANCE of your missiles tracking your target properly and hitting, scattering damage all over (and around) the enemy?

Well... you need to hold the reticule over the enemy for a period of time in order to even be able to get a lock for even an optimal chance of bukkakeing your damage all over and around your enemy, so... yeah.

#19 Kunae

• 4,303 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostBlackIronTarkus, on 02 October 2013 - 11:55 AM, said:

Command console.

No use, ingame since forever, game is released, still no use... and you expect them to remove something? Yeah right.

As I said, there is a precedence. They removed knockdowns just before Open Beta started, and they still haven't put them back in.

#20 ArchMage Sparrowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 722 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

hell. I got owned by a ******* cicada with 2 SSRM and I guess 3-or 4 mlas. Torsoed my Orion in less than 10 seconds. I couldn't hit the ****** with Gauss, my 2 Large lasers caused minor damage, and my LRM were useless of course.

I just turned the game off. A single Cicada shouldn't be able to do that to an Orion. Something's wrong, and I don't know what. And at this point, I don't care. I just put 3 SSRM on this Orion and I will sell it as soon as it gets mastered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users