Leg Destroyed, Armour Intact

10 replies to this topic

#1 VeryVizzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:34 PM

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, had a good look and couldn't see a better place rather than our 'General' area.

Spoiler

Can anyone explain this?

Half an hour ago I was busy having a couple of pot shots at a spider at theta, about to run (enemy team were incoming) when my leg gets instantly destroyed. At first I was thinking I got hit by dual AC20s or equivalent (didn't hear it though) but then i noticed the armour was still intact (yellow even). The screenshot was taken about 10 seconds later after the enemy team had their fun with my (soon to be) corpse.

Looking back, even the ST were both heavily critical, yet armour both sides are still intact. I'm sure I didn't overheat, and even if I did, it only damages the CT right? Even if it damages ST when you have an XL (like this build did) it sure doesn't damage legs!! Also it's a Jenner F, so no ammo anywhere, especially not in the legs.

TL:DR:

How do internals get damaged/taken out when the armour is still intact? (Not due to heat)

Edited by VeryVizzy, 02 October 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#2 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:37 PM

I've had the same thing, mine was from overheating. I basically decided to override and keep overheating to see what happens.

#3 The Boz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 12:49 PM

Ammo explosion?

#4 Felio

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

View PostThe Boz, on 02 October 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

Ammo explosion?

I think I read ammo can "cook off" and asplode if it gets too hot.

In the real world, Mythbusters even did it by putting a bullet in an oven to test a myth that some guy "shot" himself that way. While the gunpowder did ignite, the bullet more exploded than fired in any particular direction.

#5 WarZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 538 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:47 PM

He mentions that he had no ammo in the mech.

#6 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:52 PM

View PostVeryVizzy, on 02 October 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, had a good look and couldn't see a better place rather than our 'General' area.

Spoiler

Can anyone explain this?

Nope no clue... send a ticket into support

#7 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 October 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostFelio, on 02 October 2013 - 04:34 PM, said:

I think I read ammo can "cook off" and asplode if it gets too hot.

In the real world, Mythbusters even did it by putting a bullet in an oven to test a myth that some guy "shot" himself that way. While the gunpowder did ignite, the bullet more exploded than fired in any particular direction.

Its a very real-life occurance, which is especially common in WWII tank warfare.

Search up Wet Ammo Racks, which basically is old-school CASE anyhoo.

#8 Iron War

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • 70 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:29 PM

Over heating will do this too. It will do internal damage to your mech all over. I had a catapult that i accidently hit override and by the time i realized what was happening and shut her down i lost a leg and both arms. U might have accidently pressed override or u powered back up to soon after auto shutdown. plus ammo does not explode from overheating in this game just from enemy crits.

#9 Moonreign

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:40 AM

Doesn't the Gauss rifle have a chance to damage internal components on a mech without detroying the armor? I may have misread what it does but if so that could be what happened. One of the actuators or whatever the standard parts in the legs are called could have been destroyed by a Gauss crit

#10 Inkarnus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:35 AM

well for me it looks mostly like a damage hack ;)

#11 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 05:46 PM

ammo explosions transfer inwards anyway, not outwards.

Either heat damage, or your paper doll didnt register a hit previously and still (mistakenly) shows armor on your leg.

View PostMoonreign, on 03 October 2013 - 02:40 AM, said:

Doesn't the Gauss rifle have a chance to damage internal components on a mech without detroying the armor? I may have misread what it does but if so that could be what happened. One of the actuators or whatever the standard parts in the legs are called could have been destroyed by a Gauss crit

There is no armor peircing in MWO. the only ways to damage a component without removing armor are ammo explosion transfer from arm/leg-> side torso-> CT or heat damage.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users