17 replies to this topic

#1 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:27 AM

IMO, the JR7-F has become the best Jenner since the laser accuracy changes and SRM "fixes".
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c0c48959467e599

Besides the general roles of scouting/capping/harassing/etc here is what the JR7-F is good at.

Legging
The JR7-F is particularly good at legging, better than the other lights by far and a bit better than the other Jenners as well. Having 6 lasers provides fast, precise damage. Made easier when people have weak leg armor.

CapWarrior
Similar to capping, except you have the firepower and precision to stand your ground... and the speed to bail if things turn bad.

Ninja Backstabbery
Using your speed to remain behind an enemy and your precision to shoot their back when able. Use cover to remain hidden or "drop aggro".

Kiting/Squirrel!
For some reason when people see a Jenner they forget what they're doing and become fixated on it. Some people can resist doing this, although they still want to and in moments of weakness still will give chase. You can take advantage of this by using your speed to stay out of their range and lure them away from your team. This will turn their backs to your team and spread the enemy out or even split them up.

All Jenners can do the above things, the JR7-F just seems to do them better for now. As with any light, always keep moving. Here is a video demonstrating Jenner tactics, using my JR7-F:

You may question the effectiveness of legging, it is good if you are doing it solo, coordinated or if the legs are already exposed. If pugging and your team is nearby just go for the core as that's what most people do, or if the core is already exposed. This video demonstrates how effective legging can be:

---EDIT 10-7-13---
Here is my JR7-D loadout. It runs hot but that encourages you to stay on the move always. Here's some gameplay of it, using the above tactics:

Edited by Indoorsman, 07 October 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#2 YueFei

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 10:12 AM

You can see how you exploit your torso+arm elevation and hilly terrain to deny the enemy a good shot. Some advice to those using primarily torso-mounted weapons against a Jenner: get away from the hilly terrain and onto flat ground. I've lost to a Jenner like this in my Hunchback, all I could hit with were the two arm-mounted lasers. By the time I realized what I should do, I was too chewed up. I managed to make it to flat ground, the Jenner pressed the attack, and I legged him, but was killed shortly afterward.

#3 Kludger

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 69 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 12:51 PM

Agreed, with the break in LRM sorrow, my Jenner D has become surprisingly fun and effective with a 2ML+2MPL build (400+ damage and 2+ kills rounds not too unusual):
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10644022460a97d

Nice job on the videos, going to give your Jenner-F build a try, bonus points for the Goa Trance in the video, good memories of that track.

#4 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

i go with 6 mls and drop the jj's, but as far as tactics go you hit it on the spot.

the only thing i disagree with is legging. unless you have friends helping you leg, youre often better off putting as much damage you can into their rear. in your video you have pretty much your whole team legging the enemy one by one. and honestly 3 light mechs can kill something faster then they can leg it.

i have much easier times as a 100% solo player avoiding trying to leg enemies since it often takes a while to do and often ends up getting you killed.

#5 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 31 March 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

i go with 6 mls and drop the jj's, but as far as tactics go you hit it on the spot.

the only thing i disagree with is legging. unless you have friends helping you leg, youre often better off putting as much damage you can into their rear. in your video you have pretty much your whole team legging the enemy one by one. and honestly 3 light mechs can kill something faster then they can leg it.

i have much easier times as a 100% solo player avoiding trying to leg enemies since it often takes a while to do and often ends up getting you killed.

Ya it's situational. In the video it was me and one other friend, both running the JR7-F loadout above. We were intentionally trying to leg and some of our team caught on. It's situational though really, sometimes it's better to leg and sometimes it's better to core. If the enemy is spinning around like mad to try and face you or spread damage then just leg the guy ;) . If on the other hand he's shooting at someone else then you can get easy back shots. Also go for whatever is exposed already.

#6 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:03 PM

Good stuff, I really like your build. I might drop a sink and pack on two more jets, but I'm a freak for jump jetting.

If I ever try the Jenners again I'll give this build a shot.

#7 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 31 March 2013 - 03:34 PM

Jenner F is a good mech.However,I have a stightly different build Jenner F the Backstabber
Its name says all about the tactics ;] I dropped big engine in favor for more heatsinks and 6 medium lasers.

#8 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 31 March 2013 - 04:20 PM

I've been using this almost exact build since November: JR7-F

It is amazing and so fun.

#9 CarpetShark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 06:56 PM

It must be something about the way I play, but my best Jenner (I have the extra module slot in all three of them) is the F with six small lasers.

I tried running six mediums and hated the heat management. I'd get a kill or two and about 280 damage on average. With the smalls, though, I usually post 500+ damage unless I'm on Alpine.

I may try replacing two of the smalls with mediums and see if I do better or worse.

#10 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:26 PM

the problem with smalls is they have 1/3 the range of mediums. the extra range is huge if youre going against splatcats or outranging ssrm boats

#11 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 March 2013 - 09:42 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 31 March 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

the problem with smalls is they have 1/3 the range of mediums. the extra range is huge if youre going against splatcats or outranging ssrm boats

But most of the time I'm in range of my smalls, and 4 mediums is ok for the other times since I can fire them more often then anyways.

#12 CarpetShark

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 177 posts

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:23 PM

View PostLegoPirate, on 31 March 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

the problem with smalls is they have 1/3 the range of mediums.

True, but in my Jenners I'm usually ankle-biting anyway.

#13 LegoPirate

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 339 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2013 - 11:52 PM

whatever works for you guys. i just dont feel that 6xSML is the best way to go for someone trying out the JR7 for the first time.

#14 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:23 AM

@CarpetShark - you absolutely need more double heatsinks to handle 6 mediums.I have 17 on the build I've presented above and even that amount isn't too much,but at least it allows me to alpha most of the time.
I also mention that 6 mediums and jump jets allow you to do poptart poking,it's quite efficient to hide behind a building ~150 m away from unaware enemy,jump and alpha then disappear immediately.Priceless on Frozen City.

#15 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 01 April 2013 - 11:45 PM

Remember when small pulse lasers didn't generate much heat? 6 of those was awesome back then

#16 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 April 2013 - 01:44 AM

Yeah I remember. Due to a bug the SPL only generated 1.5 point of heat. They were seriously OP but at least we had knockdowns. We just tackled the Jenners and alpha-striked them with our 9 SL XL300 Hunchbacks :-)

Edited by Kmieciu, 03 April 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#17 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 April 2013 - 02:45 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 03 April 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

Yeah I remember. Due to a bug the SPL only generated 1.5 point of heat. They were seriously OP but at least we had knockdowns. We just tackled the Jenners and alpha-striked them with our 9 SL XL300 Hunchbacks :-)

Can't wait for knockdowns again. Now that people can actually hit lights again, with knockdowns added I'm guessing lights would become edge of your seat to play.

#18 Indoorsman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 792 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

Bump for some new gameplay examples.

Here is my JR7-D loadout. It runs hot but that encourages you to stay on the move always. Here's some gameplay of it, using the above tactics:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users