- - - - -

What Does It Take To Show My Teammates Enemys On Map?

10 replies to this topic

#1 t0b4cc0

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

Hi!

I really would like to know what it takes to "spot" people.

I jsut had a match where I did scout an enemy flank moving in. I pressed R, i shot them, but they did not appear on the map.

I dont know in what century MWO plays it shouldnt be a technical problem to message my teammates enemy positions.

What does the R button do?
Sometimes it just locks on a target 45° away from the one i want to shoot (or most times im shooting currently)

regards t

PS: i most times do the "3ppl in C3" chat messages now.... thats kinda [redacted]

Edited by Egomane, 03 October 2013 - 02:19 PM.
language

#2 Watchit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,235 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

Pressing R targets the nearest target to your arm reticle if you're not already locked on to someone. Pressing it again will cycle through the mechs you can target.

Which map do you mean? the mini map or the big map? They might have been out of range of your minimap so didn't show up because of that.

#3 DDDs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:18 PM

If you can see a red triangle above the mech, you can get their info by pressing R. If you press R but no target info shows, they were probably under ECM or they were too far away, which prevents them from being target-able. You can target mechs under ECM if you are close enough, but none of your teammates will see the target unless you counter their ECM somehow (counter ECM, PPC disruption, etc.)

#4 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

The game tries to help your targeting by auto-selecting what you are shooting at. However, because there's a small delay, you can press R just as it targets the enemy you're firing on, and switch the target away to something else.

With regards to the map, enemies won't show up on it if they're too far away, as Watchit said. If you see 'LOW SIGNAL' on your minimap, it means that any target info you acquire won't be forwarded to your team, unless you have BAP installed.

With regards to Spotting bonuses, you have to keep the same target locked and someone else fire on it using your lock. LRMs are usually what give these bonuses, but I've seen them happen with direct-fire teammates, too.

#5 t0b4cc0

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:18 PM

oh taht must have been the ecm thing then..... strange....

#6 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:48 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 03 October 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

The game tries to help your targeting by auto-selecting what you are shooting at. However, because there's a small delay, you can press R just as it targets the enemy you're firing on, and switch the target away to something else.

With regards to the map, enemies won't show up on it if they're too far away, as Watchit said. If you see 'LOW SIGNAL' on your minimap, it means that any target info you acquire won't be forwarded to your team, unless you have BAP installed.

With regards to Spotting bonuses, you have to keep the same target locked and someone else fire on it using your lock. LRMs are usually what give these bonuses, but I've seen them happen with direct-fire teammates, too.

You also have to be the closest person to the target if more than one person is spotting, else you won't get the bonus.

#7 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

If you see them but can't target, duck back into cover and use team chat to call out the map grid they're in, ie "3 mechs D5".

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 October 2013 - 02:17 PM

you can only "target" an enemy you see with a red "hollow triangle" icon. If you see an enemy and they are too far, too little of the mech is visible, or under ECM, you won't see the hollow triangle.

Pressing R to select one hollow triangle creates a mech with a solid triangle; THAT mech is now targeted and it's information will be shared with your team, if you are not under the effects of an enemy ECM.

If you see multiple hollow triangles, you can only select one and only that enemy will be relayed.

#9 t0b4cc0

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:51 PM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 03 October 2013 - 01:50 PM, said:

If you see them but can't target, duck back into cover and use team chat to call out the map grid they're in, ie "3 mechs D5".

yeah i jsut found it strange that, if we have lasers and ecm and all that.... we have to write messages like its 1985...... ~.~

#10 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 03:59 PM

Battletech doesn't make a great deal of sense. But hey! Big stompy robots. So, 50/50? ;)

#11 Johnny Marek Summers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

Well lore-wise we are coming off of hundreds of years of war which has sort of nibbled and winnowed away at 'cutting edge' technology. That and Comstar has been hoarding the best tech, especially information technology. (So we CAN blame the devs).

Also remember that most of the tabletop rules were made in the 80's so... having that level of tech is sort of what we have to deal with.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users