Know Your Weapons

9 replies to this topic

#1 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

Alright, the title says it all, nothing more disheartening than watching someone do multiple alpha strikes at a target 800m away and see they are using Mlas and MPlas coupled with SRM's.

Know the range of your weapons, optimal range and max range.
1. Most energy weapons will hit up to 2x the optimal range but you wont do much more than scratch the paint at that range. (flamer range is set at 64m)
2. Ballistics can go out to 3x the optimal range. They have some additional complications when shooting at that range over energy weapons. Not only do they do less damage the farther out they travel past the optimal range they also drop as they travel past optimal range and remember bullet speed when shootin, lead the target accordingly..
3. LRM's have a MAX of 1000m and a MIN of 180m, do not use them if the target not between those ranges.
4. SRM's max out at 270m, dont waste em at longer ranges.

EDIT: any questions about weapon ranges look on http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/ it has all the weapons, ranges, types, ghost heat thresholds etc.

Edited by Eaerie, 04 October 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Cybermech

Tool

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:42 PM

this of course is great info, much needed.
however the chances of someone who don't know the ranges looking on these forums is very slim.

#3 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

I've actually taken the time mid-match to type in global chat about this. There was a rash of it just after Launch, with new pilots pewpewing all over and wondering why they weren't hitting anything.

"Hey Spider, you literally can't hit me from that range. Double the range on the display on the bottom right, that's it."

"Whaaat?"

This game really needs the rest of its tutorials putting in for this. As Cyber says, it would have a far greater rate of success. Good job OP though, needed saying!

#4 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:47 PM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 04 October 2013 - 12:46 PM, said:

I've actually taken the time mid-match to type in global chat about this.

Knowledge is power, share it well :D

#5 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 12:53 PM

Well, there's a difference between being a n00b and a newb. The latter I will always try and help - it's only fair!

#6 Zerberus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:00 PM

I`m the kind of person that stands in the open on alpine, plinks away at 2k+ with ac2s, and then proceeds to taunt the enemy when they come back with PPCs, Gauss and LRMs with with "Nyah nyah!! You can`t hit me, but I can hit you just fine. Maybe you should come closer?".

So I`d say I know my weapon ranges pretty well :D :D

Edited by Zerberus, 04 October 2013 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 01:50 PM

A little bit more information.

LRMs and Streaks use a lock on mechanic. Streaks cannot fire without a lock.

LRMs can be dumb-fired by pointing your Arm crosshair (the "o" at a location and pressing the missile button) at what you want to hit.

Lock-ons can be achieved with either the + crosshair or the "o" crosshair.

More will be added later. *Whooshes out the door.*

Edited by Koniving, 04 October 2013 - 01:51 PM.

#8 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:12 PM

A few mistakes in the OP.

Flamers have a max range of 90m, it was recently buffed. It is also the only weapon where the effective range is the same as the maximum range.

Machine guns are the only ballistic weapon that doesn't reach 3x the effective range, but rather only 2x.

Additionally, PPCs cannot damage anything hit closer than 90m away. ERPPCs, on the other hand, have longer range in general, as well as not requiring a minimum range. NARC has a effective/maximum range of 450m, and TAG has a effective/maximum range of 750m. If it is further away than that, don't fire your NARC, as you're wasting ammo for it, and don't use the TAG, as it only makes you easier to spot.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 04 October 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#9 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 04 October 2013 - 04:39 PM

I always know the quality of my team and the enemy team by the people firing out of range of even an AC2 on Alpine Peak. I can't count the number of times I've just stood there in the Gap near the Radio Tower happily being shot by people incapable of reading the range. I point this out because it just happened again.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 05:15 PM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 04 October 2013 - 04:12 PM, said:

Machine guns are the only ballistic weapon that doesn't reach 3x the effective range, but rather only 2x.

This is because, despite the ballistic hardpoint and ammunition consumption, the game actually registers the MG as a laser weapon. It uses identical mechanics in every aspect, with a hit scan per bullet (leading to the variable ammunition consumption rate at slower server times). Also, never lead the MG. The particle effect means nothing. All hits are instant.

Random side note: TAG laser is very easy to see on thermal and sometimes easy to see on night vision. It's like a giant lightsaber that says "follow this to kill me."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users