- - - - -

Different Weapons For Different Mechs

10 replies to this topic

#1 Marshstalker

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:09 AM

Ok so i went and bought an Awesome. I have noticed though that it seems to only be able to load energy based weaponry.

Do certain mechs only take certain weaponry or have i purchased an energy based weapon only mech??

#2 BL00D RAVEN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:13 AM

each mech has hardpoints
there are three types
-ballistic
-energy
-missle
before you buy the mech it list the hardpoints in the lower left corner

#3 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:18 AM

Hi,

This website will help you understand each mech variant, and what hard points it has, i.e.. what types of weapons are allowed in each part of the mech.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

It may take a while to figure it all out, but this build site will really help you if you get into playing this game.

#4 Mechteric

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

There are even some Awesomes that can mount many missiles, but none can do ballistics.

#5 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:27 AM

View PostMarshstalker, on 04 October 2013 - 08:09 AM, said:

Ok so i went and bought an Awesome. I have noticed though that it seems to only be able to load energy based weaponry.

Do certain mechs only take certain weaponry or have i purchased an energy based weapon only mech??

Blood Raven is correct. The types of weapons any given mech can mount and where they can mount them vary. While not the only difference between mechs, this is generally the defining one.

For example, the Hunchback 4sp has 2 energy hardpoints in each arm, one in the head, and a missile hardpoints in each shoulder. So it can mount up to 2 missiles weapons and 5 energy weapons, but no ballistics.

The Hunchback 4G, on the other hand, has three ballistic hardpoints in its right torso, and one energy in each arm and its head, so it can mount up to 3 energy and 3 ballistic weapons, but no missile weapons.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:28 AM

(Edits to make it easier to read.)

It sounds as if you bought an Awesome 8Q, which is energy weapons only.
This website has a mech list with weapon hardpoints and where they are.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de
Under "Hardpoints" on the right, Orange-red is energy, yellow is ballistic (cannon) and green is missiles.

This section of the site, http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab allows you to pre-build your mech to come up with ideas without spending stuff from your wallet.

Here is an example build that I just put together. It uses 3 PPCs and has some sadistic close-range back-up weapons that are highly effective against lights.

(The PPCs you may want to fire 2, then 1, then 2, then 1. Or, simpler, fire them one at a time rapidly using chain-fire. To chain-fire is to tell the game that you want to fire the weapons in the group one at a time, in sequence. Setting it is toggled by pressing backspace after choosing the group they are in. Chain fire ultimately allows you more control over your heat generation.)

The pulse lasers are all back up weapons which are rapid fire. They deal damage faster as well as are ready to fire again sooner than regular lasers. This comes at the expense of more heat and shorter range.

I recommend putting them in group 2 (if you keep the PPCs in the same group, group 1), this will fire them by using right click. A video demonstrating how to do this is below.

Important! Since PPCs cannot hurt anything at less than 90 meters, the small pulse laser's 90 meter range is perfect for this. There's also a medium pulse laser (180 meters) which is a LOT stronger for emergencies or in case if you lose your sides entirely.

This video by NGNG can teach you how to establish your weapon groups.

This video is dated, but it shows the basics of using the mechlab.

This is an alternative, cheaper build that is a bit simpler to use but doesn't have as much long range firepower. It is designed for side-peeking around buildings. It's also a bit more energy efficient in alpha strikes (firing everything at once), but not in the long run. You can fire all the PPCs at the same time. The lasers can all be fired at once too. Sadly most of its firepower is at close range, which is what you will want to avoid at all costs. The 5 ML can be quite deadly but if you're in a situation where you need to use this 270 meter weapon group, it's time to hit the panic button anyway!

I say again, avoid close range at all costs. You are in an Awesome, which unfortunately is "awesome" at long range as a combat support mech and at close range is better named "Mauled and broken."

Good luck from a fellow Awesome pilot.
Posted Image

Again, I want to remind you that fighting up close (like this) is not a good idea. If you try it you will dislike your mech. As you can see in the image, the Awesome 8Q (the green one) cannot aim anything more than his arm at me (the Pretty Baby), putting him at a major disadvantage. Even though the fact of the matter is it's me (the PB) and the spider versus the Awesome 8Q and the Jager.
Posted Image

A few shots of my 8Q.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 04 October 2013 - 09:49 AM.

#7 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 08:37 AM

No, it is based on the hardpoints. Different mechs come with different harpoints...if you only have energy hardpoints, you will only be able to use energy weapons.

The type and distribution of hardpoints depends on the mech model, and they are all different. The specific model of Awesome you bought only has energy hardpoints. But other models might have different ones. Many mech models combine all three hardpoint types.

Some mechs are known for certain types of weapons...I think some models of Awesomes can mount missiles as well, but the Awesome is known the PPCs, so it is energy-centric. Most hardpoints are going to be energy. Stalkers are the same way. Jagermechs are known for ballistics, so most models are heavy on ballistic hardpoints. When you go to buy the mech, it will tell you what hardpoints that model has.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 09:02 AM

Sadistic Savior up here is correct, although the word "model" is almost never used and instead the word "variant" is much more common and universal. The word model could just as easily mean chassis as it could variant, thus it's not used. And for a quick bit of definition:
  • Battlemech Classification (weight class) is the grouping or category of a battlemech's maximum loadout weight. For example: 20 through 35 tons are the Light class. 40 through 55 tons are the Medium class. 60 through 75 tons is the Heavy class. 80 to 100 tons is the Assault class. Note that Classification does NOT mean Role.
  • Battlemech Role is something generally left undefined until a mech has its loadout. Once you know and understand the weapons you are likely to understand the intended role of a mech once you see its stock weapons and combine it with the general look, shape and size of a mech. Some mechs only work well in specific roles. (The Awesome for example is NOT a front-line fighter and will perish very quickly if it is on the front line). Others can play any role (Hunchback 4SP is a good example) quite well, but still not be the best at any particular role.
Spoiler
  • Battlemech Chassis is a specific type of mech. Examples include: Awesome, Atlas, Hunchback, Victor, Catapult, Cataphract, Jenner, Commando, Locust, Kintaro, etc.
  • Battlemech Variant is a specific configuration of features on a Chassis. Example: Awesome 8Q, 8R, 8T, 8V, 9M, and PB. Detailed examples below.
Spoiler

An interesting quirk to note that very few people know: Though it will not apply to the Awesome 8Q, there are Awesomes who can have enough speed and inertia to climb 60 degree slopes (the limit is a full stop at 40 degrees or less for most assaults). These are the 9m and the Pretty Baby. These climbs require a minimum of a 360 rated engine, and a bit of zig-zaggy skills to build up momentum and then direct it toward the slope at angles. The Awesome 9m and PB are the only two mechs that can climb MOST of the pillars in Tourmaline for some of the best firing positions on that map.

The PB has perhaps a 25% easier time doing this than the 9M.

Edited by Koniving, 04 October 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#9 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

I can't get over how cool those screen shots look. I wish I could make the game look like that.

View PostKoniving, on 04 October 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Posted Image

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 04 October 2013 - 10:25 AM.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 10:46 AM

View PostSadistic Savior, on 04 October 2013 - 10:23 AM, said:

I can't get over how cool those screen shots look. I wish I could make the game look like that.

http://mwomercs.com/...eenshot-thread/ You can find out how there, provided you have a high-end NVidia card. Most of it is driver level tweaks for the graphics, with some adjustments to contrast, brightness and saturation after the screenshots are taken.

It does NOT use the fancy SweetFX. :)
All pics are of me. All shots taken by Lordred. If you see Lordred's Camera Commando, please don't shoot it unless it's shooting you. Note: He'll announce at the beginning if he's taking pictures.

Special animated image.
Spoiler

These are just a few of my favorites from the first 15 pages -- to be a favorite it has to have me in it. :( These are out of over a thousand plus images across 29 pages.
Spoiler

And out of all the images, this one is by far my overall favorite.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 04 October 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#11 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 11:11 AM

Three PPC's on chain fire, and watch how people scream

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users