Salvage Lots

13 replies to this topic

Poll: Salvage Lots (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Support the idea?

1. Yes (6 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. Yes, but not Champion or Hero mechs (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

3. Yes, but no mechs (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. No (2 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:15 PM

MWO should have "salvage lots" you purchase for [100] MC, which randomly contain one of the following:
  • A random amount of [100,000 - 10,000,000] C-bills [~90%]
  • A stripped random standard variant 'Mech [~7%]
  • A complete random standard variant 'Mech [~2%]
  • A stripped random Champion or random Hero 'Mech [<1%]
I stripped 'Mech comes with just the chassis, you would need to add all equipped; engine, weapons, armor, etc.

Obvious disclaimer: CW is more important. Numbers in brackets ([100]) are place holder values that can be tweaked for balance.

#2 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:53 AM

If it's killed on the battlefield of a certain planet, it's scrap or some of it should be available in a scrap yard for us to visit and maybe auction/bid on big ticket things while small common stuff like MLs should be bought wholesale but with less Crits or at regular prices. All this should be based on availability as created by deaths on the battlefield.

Edited by Kjudoon, 01 October 2013 - 11:54 AM.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:57 AM

I think you're being far too generous. Other games have certainly used lottery systems, but I think your cost:value is skewed much too far. Needs less c-bills, include some consumables, 1-day premium time, paints, camos, and, unfortunately, fewer mechs

#4 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 October 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 01 October 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

I think you're being far too generous. Other games have certainly used lottery systems, but I think your cost:value is skewed much too far. Needs less c-bills, include some consumables, 1-day premium time, paints, camos, and, unfortunately, fewer mechs

True, whole mechs stripped or mostly stripped should be the rarity. Most killed on the battlefield are going to be used as parts just like junked cars from accidents.

You know, a way to stop players from "Abandoning" battles before they're killed would be that their mech is captured whole and then put up for auction at these scrapyards. Of course, this would have to be a distinction between abandoning and being disconnected for other reasons. I don't know if I'd take the mech outright from the pilot's mech bay, but it could be an option. Again, that's more of a CW issue.

Everything else would affect the value of purchase when CW is implemented and availability becomes the watch word. Mercs survive almost exclusively by their contracted resupply by whomever hired them and scrap on what's on the battlefield when it's over. Lone Wolves... It's scrap or die unless they have a contract.

#5 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 01 October 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 01 October 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

That's why I put those values in brackets, as just suggestions. The values I suggested may be too generous, and I appreciate your input on that point.

Premium time, while I wouldn't outright say no, doesn't fell like an in game item. But, including consumables, paints, and camos is a good idea.

#6 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:34 PM

What about mechbay balance? If let's say you get a stripped Hero, but no empty mechbays, where does it go? I really like this idea and it should go pretty far in salvage terms, but mechbays would be an issue.

#7 Tamagakure

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 01 October 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

If it's killed on the battlefield of a certain planet, it's scrap or some of it should be available in a scrap yard for us to visit and maybe auction/bid on big ticket things while small common stuff like MLs should be bought wholesale but with less Crits or at regular prices. All this should be based on availability as created by deaths on the battlefield.

While an interesting idea, it is entriely impractical; for this particular method, PGI would have generate, implement and maintain a system that tracked every 'mech, every module, every weapon and every piece of equipment in EVERY SINGLE BATTLE.

For the purpose of rolling for a lottery of scrap, is it really so hard to just go with a "blank-slate" roller that assigns a percentage to each thing in the game and grants completely random winnings upon rolling the lottery?

Edited by Tamagakure, 02 October 2013 - 09:42 AM.

#8 FactorlanP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • LocationMy Wallet is closed until I see real progress.

Posted 02 October 2013 - 09:43 AM

That feels a bit too much like MW:Tactics for me...

#9 Syrkres

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 488 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:22 AM

They mentioned something about a "Black Market" during the CW video, something along these lines could be done through that.

#10 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:16 AM

Actually i think it would be neat if you could get a PART of a mech via salvage, and then also collect parts via the salvage lottery.

for example you get a grossly incomplete Hunchback; you require multiple incomplete chassis to 'cash in' to get a full chassis.

#11 Wilhelm Fraek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 07:57 AM

Why not do this the same way that warfram does, you have the chance to recieve a mech part. SO lets say you get the right arm of a dragon, when you collect all of the part you can purchase the schematic of what ever variant you want for the bare bones chassis of said mech.

#12 DocBach

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:03 AM

Almost every other F2P game has lockbox mechanics - salvage would be a great way for MWO to put one in place.

Basic Techs can salvage a small amount of c-bills equal to what a match salvage bonus would be.

Elite Techs can salvage more c-bills and some randomized equipment for a c-bill cost.

Master Techs can salvage a large sum of c-bills (millions), several components, or a 'Mech chassis for an MC cost.

#13 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

Yes. See MechWarrior Tactics for how to do it.

#14 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

No Hero or Champion Mechs, but maybe a module. Those damn things are expensive so to get one for 100MC wouldn't be too bad either. Of course 100 MC seems cheap for a module, but the ratio's listed is gambling, I'm good with it. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users