- - - - -

Weight And Gravity Vs. Performance

8 replies to this topic

#1 Giant Bob

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRoute 66

Posted 05 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

Is there any benefit from running under max weight limit, like 15% or more? According to the UI there's no speed benefit, but I'm wondering about heat, and other engine functions (eg. torso swivel speed). While we're at it, I see no ground speed difference between planetary gravity in the lower range vs. same in the higher range. I'd expect jump jet benefits from either mech weight or grav, but what about ground speed, heat, climbing, and fall damage...they don't vary? Thanks in advance.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

No. There is no benefit to running below maximum weight. The game is, unfortunately, not that involved in the simulation aspect.

Though it's another topic entirely, the simulation aspect has seen better days (and no this is not a snide remark about 3rd person; I don't mind 3rd person though I'd appreciate being able to shoot the drone as a counter for those abusing it to spot for missiles)... Compared to closed beta, the game no longer favors the slow-paced gameplay it began with but instead favors faster-paced gameplay to try and acquire a new generation of players.

Some see this as bad, some see it as good. Judge how you may. I'd really prefer a compromise down the middle to make both sides of the coin happy and hope PGI will consider it.

Edited by Koniving, 06 October 2013 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Pac Man

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

From my experience, the gravity really doesn't change much, since we don't have much more than a couple decimels of gravity difference on each map. Perhaps we'll get a larger planet with quite a bit more gravity, or some moon with very low gravity, and I imagine that'd effect Jump Jets and Ballistic drop rates, and hopefully speed. For now though, gravity doesn't do too much.

As for under-loading, there is no in-game benefit for leaving extra tonnage. The mech reacts the same way.

#4 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

No, there is no benefit for running under weight, nor does the specified gravity have any effect on mech performance.

The lore of the game does provide an excuse for why lowering weight does not increase speed: Speed is set by the myomer and engine and is set on the factory floor. This is why losing a limb does not lower weight and increase speed as it would with an internal combustion engine(if your car dumped a large portion of mass without compromising air resistance, it would gain significant weight:power)

The fact of the matter is, this is just how the game system works. All statistics are based on the maximum tonnage, nto current tonnage. Otherwise some genius would surely find a way to break the system (an underweight Atlas exceedign it's maximum speed, for example)

Edited by Redshift2k5, 05 October 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 09:13 PM

A similar game, Front Mission, uses a Power versus Weight ratio.

The body determines the maximum power. The legs determine the maximum weight. You're allowed to be under weight or over-powered, but neither of these would give you any real benefits aside from increase your evasion capabilities during the attack phases of a turn. Sadly this was usually an amount of less than 3%, which basically meant it really had no meaning versus using a lighter leg chassis, which would allow you more agility (but not permit much weight).

These mechanics in Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Front Mission are merely serving to limit the potential of a mech (or Wanzer) from becoming overpowered.
This of course is why most of the mechwarrior games used a 30 heat threshold or at least a hard-set one. MWO opted for Ghost Heat instead to allow for faster paced gameplay in a competitive environment.

Edited by Koniving, 06 October 2013 - 11:11 AM.

#6 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:37 PM

Running a mech under max weight gives no benefit ad others have stated. As far as gravity affecting movement I have been asking that question of the devs since closed beta. On the beta forums, in an Ask the Devs I forget the number, and I even got to ask Garth personally on team speak a few weeks ago. The answers I have gotten so far is they would love to add that level of realism but is SO low on the list of things to do it isn't even on the list right now. There are other issues for example imagine a Spider jumping on a .3G world like the moon. Would it not be able to fall back to the surface and if they could it most likely would fall far from the field of battle. On a high G world would jump jets be rendered effectively useless. Things of that nature, personally I would love to see gravity effecting mech movement.

#7 Giant Bob

• PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationRoute 66

Posted 06 October 2013 - 04:35 PM

edit: oops meant to quote another reply my apologies

View PostKoniving, on 05 October 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

A similar game, Front Mission, uses a Power versus Weight ratio.

The body determines the maximum power. The legs determine the maximum weight. You're allowed to be under weight or over-powered, but neither of these would give you any real benefits aside from increase your evasion capabilities during the attack phases of a turn. Sadly this was usually an amount of less than 3%, which basically meant it really had no meaning versus using a lighter leg chassis, which would allow you more agility (but not permit much weight).

These mechanics in Battletech, Mechwarrior, and Front Mission are merely serving to limit the potential of a mech (or Wanzer) from becoming overpowered.
This of course is why most of the mechwarrior games used a 30 heat threshold or at least a hard-set one. MWO opted for Ghost Heat instead to allow for faster paced gameplay in a competitive environment.
Your recent feedback from devs is most interesting, but every reply was juicy with info. My takeaway is that not even jump jet performance is affected by grav or weight. Gracias a todos!

Edited by Giant Bob, 06 October 2013 - 04:36 PM.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:01 PM

View PostGiant Bob, on 06 October 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

edit: oops meant to quote another reply my apologies Your recent feedback from devs is most interesting, but every reply was juicy with info. My takeaway is that not even jump jet performance is affected by grav or weight. Gracias a todos!

Though not what the quote was about, that is true "for now." However while its not affected by weight, the plan is that "eventually" it will be affected by gravity if possible.

I imagine it'll be a ratio of the maximum thrust. i.e. In this gravity, it's what it says. In that gravity, the amount might be 20% lower. In this other gravity it might be 15% higher.

I wouldn't expect hard-set differences.

#9 Savvage

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 02:52 AM

as with all rules its based on the old tabletop stuff

i beleive however that summising they are legally allowed to do so, that some rules could indeed be mdoernised for FPS combat, i beleive the scenario of "ok heres the map, you start there, you over there and heres the gravity, your mechs weight X gravity slows you by 1-3 turns per round based on what that is" assault mechs vs a hill... stuck which takes 2 move for a light incline 3 for a large move speed is 3 standard -2 for severe weight... oh

But this is not movement point based, i assume here, mechs are based on what they would be at 1G at 0.8G they are effectively 20% lighter. Now i dont expect a power to weight increase of 20% but something closer to and this is the ideology of a bored guy who hasn't been awake long so if its terrible... chill.

Mech speed = engine + Gravity/mech catergory (light medium heavy assault)
With 1G being 0 modifer 0.8 being +20% modifier 1.2 being -20%
at 0.8 a light mech would be +20/1.65 for about +12% total speed increase
medium +20/2 for a straight up 10%
Heavy for +20/2.5 for 8%
and assault for +20/3 for 6.6* speed gain

and just replacing that 20 with G with 1G being 0 i think this might work

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users