Give The Hbk-4J Another Missile Hardpoint

No replies to this topic

#1 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 05 October 2013 - 11:33 PM

I saw a HBK-4J today, which reminded me: HBK-4Js exist. I mean, it's a really neat looking mech, and I'd like to see more of them on the field. To that end, I started thinking about why it's never seen, and what could be done to make more people choose them.

To start, the reason nobody chooses the HBK-4J is because there are better options available. The HBK-4SP is a better choice if you want to run a brawler, because it is not hobbled by having a hunch, and although it has less energy hardpoints, the arm-mounted lasers and better hitbox more than make up for this. For anyone who likes LRMs, the 4J is still a poor choice as its 20 tubes are split 10x2, unlike the other LRM-carrying mediums, the Treb and Kintaro who get many more tubes and more hardpoints. (Ignoring, of course, the fact that nobody runs LRMs on a medium anyway).

So what would make the 4J useful? Another missile hardpoint! This, coupled with a more sensible tube loadout, would put the 4J on even footing with the other LRM-carrying mediums, and would give it a tangible advantage over the HBK-4SP (more boom) at the cost of carrying all its weaponry in one big, easy-to-hit hunch.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users