Hit Or Miss?

10 replies to this topic

#1 Tankerwolf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

I don't want to turn this into a gripe fest about what could be; I would like to know how it is now. So here's the question as best as I can explain. When shooting (insert weapon of choice here) sometimes I see the explosion on the mech and no red reticle. Sometimes it's red reticle when it looks like it hit an invisible wall / corner. Sometimes red reticle when I know I missed. Sometimes no hit when I'm shooting a non moving mech point blank. When popping up t oshoot and I only see a little bit of a mech sticking up; sometimes it looks like it hits the hill / wall and still turns red reticle and sometimes it looks like it hits them but no red reticle and no paper doll flash. I guess my main question is what should I be using as an indicator of whether I am hitting or not? Paper doll, round explosion on mech, or red reticle; or does it really just depend on the situation? Edit: 55ping ~20fps

Edited by Tankerwolf, 06 October 2013 - 01:56 PM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:02 PM

Red reticule is the best indication, but still not 100% reliable as hit registration is still sketchy. A bug has been found and it should be patched up in the next patch, however - hopefully that improves things.

#3 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

THere's no easy way, but in theory, the doll will light up when and where it'***** for a moment. Sometimes you do hit terrain in the way and it's hard to tell (particularly at range), or you hit another mech (at range, hard to see), or you see the hit but the game does not register it (confirmed by a dev to happen around 1% of the time where a hit will pass though a target).

Also, keep in mind, LRMs and PPCs fired inside of the minimum range will hit but do no damage (LRMs bounce off).

#4 Tankerwolf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:14 PM

1 for doll and 1 for reticle. I am aware of the min distance. If it makes a difference I am using the gauss a lot more now and noticed that at range (500 - 700 range) it's tough to know what's actually hitting.

#5 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:28 PM

View PostTankerwolf, on 06 October 2013 - 02:14 PM, said:

1 for doll and 1 for reticle. I am aware of the min distance. If it makes a difference I am using the gauss a lot more now and noticed that at range (500 - 700 range) it's tough to know what's actually hitting.

I may be wrong, but i think the reticle will turn red if it's over a mech, even if something is in the way. I've had it turn red when I was aiming at a hillside 30 meters away.

If the damage doesn't register on the readout, then I would presume it missed.

Long story short, if it's still alive, shoot it again!! :P

#6 Tiger 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:36 PM

I've seen a bunch of hits not register this week - one that sticks in my mind was a K2 Gauss-a-pult I watched pump 3x dual gauss into the CT of a Highlander - reticle went red but but the paper doll didn't reflect the damage. Not sure if it was just a HSR "we'll log the damage in a moment" issue, or if it genuinely wasn't registering the hits - somebody else killed the mech soon after, so it was hard to tell either way :P

#7 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:37 PM

Hit detection is improving, but is not yet perfect (onlile games never really reach perfect hit detection). It's not just about your ping, but also the ping of the target, and also whether ping is fluctuating or not; packet loss is also an issue and presumably bugs within Cryengine & the server-authortative achetecture as well.

What you see happen, what the other players see happen, and what the server ultimately decides has hapened do not always match up, this is the nature of lag compensation techniques.

#8 Hexenhammer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 06 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Related but not related

http://mwomercs.com/...66#entry2812866

Projectile hit detection[IN PROGRESS]

CERES METALS AAlcadis Revised Underground Complex, B5
St.Ives
Friday October 4th 3050 22:47

BUG: We have finally reproduced and idenified an issue that has to do with our projectile hit detection. This causes some bullets to pass through targets on the server or in some cases pass a single component and hit front/rear instead. I estimate it happens about 1% overall and depends on several factors.

I'm eager to see this what else is fixed when this bug is resolved.

Edited by Hexenhammer, 06 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#9 Tiger 6

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:12 PM

seen a bunch of "my back was facing to him, but he still hit my front CT" stuff too - Orion's are bad for that right now.

#10 Tankerwolf

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts

Posted 06 October 2013 - 03:53 PM

So what Nick said was pretty much what it boils down to. Keep shooting. Yes Tiger; I have also noticed that torso twisting with my Orions is pretty much worthless. Oh well. It's still a great game. Even with the crazy little intricacies I still play it almost daily.

#11 GMAK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • LocationMontréal

Posted 06 October 2013 - 06:40 PM

View PostTankerwolf, on 06 October 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I don't want to turn this into a gripe fest about what could be; I would like to know how it is now. So here's the question as best as I can explain. When shooting (insert weapon of choice here) sometimes I see the explosion on the mech and no red reticle. Sometimes it's red reticle when it looks like it hit an invisible wall / corner. Sometimes red reticle when I know I missed. Sometimes no hit when I'm shooting a non moving mech point blank. When popping up t oshoot and I only see a little bit of a mech sticking up; sometimes it looks like it hits the hill / wall and still turns red reticle and sometimes it looks like it hits them but no red reticle and no paper doll flash. I guess my main question is what should I be using as an indicator of whether I am hitting or not? Paper doll, round explosion on mech, or red reticle; or does it really just depend on the situation? Edit: 55ping ~20fps

I have no problem with the ret. Of course there is the invisible wall but it happens rarely.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users