What Mech To Go To Next?

26 replies to this topic

#1 GordanFreeman23

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:14 PM

I pretty much have my Hunchback 4SP basic tree unlocked. Im not sure wether to move on to another type of mech, if I do I would like to do the Jager Mechs. Really thinking about grinding out the Hunchbacks Mech Tree, what would be the best course of action fellow pilots? :D

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:44 PM

work on elite, it will double the basic tree effect.

Jagers are good, mainly they are balistic sniper / long range support.

#3 CheeseThief

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 580 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Black Stump

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

Grab a hunchback G and P.

The great thing about hunchbacks is that there is a variant for every weapon type, and overall it's a tough and versatile chassis that you can't go wrong with.

The G is the best for fooling around with a large variety of ballistic builds, the P is the energy based hunchback, the H is the half way mark between those two while the J is a sort of decent direct fire LRM carrier.

Hunchbacks are well worth eliting, and in doing so they let you experiment with every weapon type in the game.

#4 Cuddlytron

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 84 posts
  • LocationRichland, WA

Posted 27 September 2013 - 08:54 PM

^^^ What Ingga said. Highly recommended to get 2 more HBK variants. Unlock the Basic trees for all, which will then open up the Elite efficiencies. Finishing the Elite efficiencies will then double the effect of the Basics. Makes a huge improvement in speed/maneuverability/performance. It's hard to go wrong with any HBK variant, really. You'll have to get used to maneuvering to protect your "hunch" with the other variants, though, which takes some time and patience.

#5 1Sascha

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • LocationMunich, Germany

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:42 AM

Dunno about the Hunchback.

I love the design and it might be down to me playing the chassis wrong, but I'd rather jump into my Centurions.

Own the A, AL and Yen-Lo Wang and they seem to be so much superior to any of the Hunchies I've tried. They're faster, seem more agile, pack a punch and don't all rely on one big gun in a single, obvious location. Yeah, once you lose the right arm, you are neutered in a way (especially in the Wang), but even as an amputee I'll still have 2 MLAS and 3 Streaks in my A or 2MLAS and 2 Streaks in the AL. And don't forget about survivability. Centurions are incredibly tough, especially with a STD engine. I've had plenty of matches where I was running around as a stick most of the time and still scored kills/assists with my puny lasers.

Plus it seems to me that Centurions don't attract as much attention on the battlefield. Read: A lot of guys will underestimate the danger a well driven Centurion poses and concentrate on other targets first. OTOH, everyone knows about the hunch and what can be in there.

S.

#6 Lightning Kurita

• PipPip
  • The Icon
  • The Icon
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 03:56 AM

I use Hbks with a bigger engine for better speed. Compared to heavy mechs the hbks have lesser dmg output and armor so i try to use to mobility of these medium mechs to their advantage.
I recommend the elite tree too before goin to another mech.

Make sure u get info on mechs before u choose a heavy. Every one of them have their pretty own playstyle for different loutouds.

I would not recommend Jagers for beginners. From my own experience u need to have a affinity to master 3 chassi variants of this mech.
In my opinion cataphracts are more fun to play, Depending on the loudout u can solo assault mechs with them. They have energy and ballistic hardpoints like the Jagers, but u have more options in loudouts.

Edited by Lightning Kurita, 28 September 2013 - 03:58 AM.

#7 zagibu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 05:37 AM

The HBKs are varied enough to make it worth eliting them. I too started with a 4SP, but ended up only keeping the 4P. The 4H and 4G are refreshing because you can put big guns on them, which plays very differently from the 4SP, and the 4J I didn't try.

#8 Snowcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:21 AM

I agree with the others. I have a G, P and SP.
Love them all. Great mechs. Just don't get the J. The H is great too, but the G offers more fun and varied ballistics loadouts.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:39 AM

If it's possible throw a medium pulse laser in the head on a Hunchy. I too have them mastered, and I kept them all. I still take them out once in a while. I have a friend who consistently does around 700 damage in his 4SP, and he's usually alive at the end of the match.

#10 Duncan Longwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:52 AM

I liked the HBK alot when I first started playing because the chassis gives you the chance to try energy, ballistic, and missile variants without requiring an expensive XL engine to make it work. Once I was able to put more cbills into my mechs I found that I prefer other medium mechs to my HBKs.

I prefer a Yen-lo-wang or Blackjack for an AC20+2mlas setup.

Ghost Heat has made the Blackjack preferable to the HBK for an "all mlas build".

Kintaro can throw missiles better with up to 20 tubes per launcher and up to 5 missile hardpoints.

You stated that you had the HBK-SP... If you haven't had to deal with your hunch getting shot-off then you may want to rethink staying with the HBK. The SP skirts around the main drawback of the HBK by not having that giant hunch to get shot at. IF you do try the other HBK variants; make sure to put almost all of your RT armor to the front of the mech. The hunch-hitbox on the front is huge and on the back it is tiny.

Good Luck.... oh... it's a Kurita.... uh... Die Well! :D

#11 Bhelogan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 328 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 28 September 2013 - 06:58 AM

Depends on your play style. I started with HBK, and mastered them, but have not played them much since. I find myself dropping a lot in spiders, Jaggers, Cataphracts and Atlases. They are all different play styles, so it kinda depends on what role you want to fill. If you join up with a team later on, you will probably need to be able to fill a few different roles though, so having a selection of mechs with different styles you can play will be a bonus.

Edited by Bhelogan, 28 September 2013 - 06:58 AM.

#12 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:30 AM

The 4SP is hands down the most reliable hunchback. Getting used to protecting your Hunch is a challenge on the other models. The Centurion is a much more resiliant alternative to the Hunchback if you don't want elite. Although I strongly recommend getting a G and a P so you can unlock full Basic on each giving you access to speed tweak amongst other things.

Later the Shadow Hawk is a great alternative to the Hunchback with 5 more tons to boot. It's ballistic shoulder mount is alot less pronounced and It can still easily mount an AC20/2x Ac5 or even 3xAC2 and have jump jets etc. Only downside is the 1 energy hardpoint. IT will be avalible in November or December if you don't invest in project phoenix.

#13 GordanFreeman23

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

I guess I will master out the Hunchback for now. Thanks for all the feedback. :D

#14 Tilley

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

Are you by chance the same Slipknot from the Black Lions back in MW4?

#15 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 29 September 2013 - 06:36 AM

Another vote for sticking with Hunchies.

Generally, I prefer to focus on one type of chasis till I've unlocked Elites (at this point, I've unlocked master for all 3 chassis sizes). I don't own a Hunchie, but they're tempting (It's probably either them or the Atlas when I'm done with my phoenix stuff, though Ravens, Jagers, and Highlanders are tempting). Hunchies are more variant than other mechs out there, so there are plenty of different choices.

#16 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:05 AM

jagers are powerful enough that they can ignore lack of durability and outbrawl an atlas

#17 Xanilos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 09:13 AM

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE A 4J!
just sayin

Edited by Xanilos, 30 September 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#18 Derpington Von Trollington

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 64 posts
  • LocationMilan, Italy

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

Hunchbacks drip awesomesauce from everywhere.

#19 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 30 September 2013 - 10:16 AM

IMO the 4g is one of the best mechs in this game. If you learn it you can pilot any thing well I believe. Teaches you about turning your torso to protect that hump and fire control, you only have so many shots so you have to make them count.

#20 Wriath

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • 108 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4eae8eea62a1b3c

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users