#1 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:24 PM

A couple of questions:

1.) Will the Mechwarrior (that is, the player's avatar within the 'mech) be subject to any particular effects during missions (e.g. injury from hits to the head, falling, ammo explosions (injury as the result of an electric shock from feed back through the neurohelmet), or prolonged extreme overheating of the 'mech)?

2.) How will the game address 'mech disabling/destruction via destruction of the head area - can the Mechwarrior die in battle?

#2 Zakatak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

I wouldn't mind some hazing or view distortion from overheating mechs, or even loss of consciousness if the reactor walls exceed 9000 kelvin (DBZ joke here). Falling should cause violent view shaking, since being inside a falling mech would be like standing on a 5-story tower while it tips over. Airbags?

As for the head destruction, I think the screen should just go black, since even the smallest weapon from a mech would burst a pilot. From the outside, maybe have the cockpit windows turn red (no like... organs please, keep it PG-13).

Edited by Zakatak, 11 November 2011 - 06:59 PM.

#3 Stiffish Asp

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationDes Moines, IA

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:55 PM

IT'S OVER 9000!

well, the novels describe your chair as a "couch" and on top of that the neurohelmet, altho heavy, is padded. not to say that'll save you every time tho

#4 Kumakichi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,337 posts
  • LocationYoyodyne Propulsion Factory

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

Effects to the pilot would be interesting. I was mostly just hoping for some good damage modeling the the mech such as system failures, etc... but its true a pilot would be effected. I'm just not sure THAT much realism is good for an online game when you consider all the truly necessarily things that will need bandwidth. But if they did include it would be a big bonus.

#5 Wraith 1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:03 PM

You'll see me say this a lot, but I liked the way they did it in MW2: Mercs, if you get killed anywhere but the head, you eject and you can continue playing (unless you ejected in a hostile environment), if you get shot in the cockpit, you had best hope you saved recently.

As for other effects on the pilot, I don't think any of the games so far have really done that, but I think it would help with the immersion in the game. Maybe some slight tunnel vision while using jump jets?

#6 MaddMaxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:12 AM

Heat. That is a key element. If a Pilot has to deal with and compensate for the Heat his Mech generates then those who build or ride Heat heavy units (just because they pack the biggest wallop) will have to Think before getting all shooty with those Mech's or designs.

Everything and anything above and beyond that will be much appreciated and enjoyed. No Heat issues = a FPS pure and simple.

#7 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:37 AM

I'd love to see a entire pilotsystem built.

You'd have stuff like health or possibly enhancements like EI implants. AToW would be perfect here since it combines all the RPG stuff with the TT.

Just think of the possibilities here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users