Xl Hunchbacks?

6 replies to this topic

#1 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:53 AM

Let's be honest folks. Hunchback without a hunch might as well be dead. Too often I see smashed up Hunchbacks walking around with just a couple medium lasers being completely ignored while they deal with more important targets, and then finish them off as if they weren't there.

So why do we try to build in order to survive post hunch removal? I propose that it's better to make the most out of the hunch while you got it. You would be better served by the speed of an XL than a few extra seconds of worthless life bought by a standard engine.

If you're cracking out enough horsepower, you can get plenty of torso twist and time to bob and weave, so let's forget about back armor too, shall we? The front of the Hunchback wraps pretty far around. If you drop that armor all the way to the front, you get some pretty serious coverage.

Here's a concept build for you to poke at. Nothing fancy, but it should perform pretty damn well. Mediums are meant for flanking and jousting. Leave the slow stuff for the big boys. Don't stay in the line of fire, keep that torso twisting, and alpha the sucker. Then run away.

HBK-4H

#2 TheKildar

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:04 AM

This could be viable on the 4H and 4SP, but I wouldn't recommend it for the 4G or energy boat hunchies. For one thing, with the 4g or any hunchie, often enemies will ignore you once your hunch is gone, and if you've opened them up enough or if they have bigger targets to worry about nearby, you can do a surprising amount of damage with your 2/3 medium lasers before they switch back to you. Also depending on how far into the match it is you could switch roles to light hunting.

#3 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:18 AM

4G hunch with XL engine.

LB-10, twin MGs, triple SPL. 7 kills, 700+ damage. Recorded by Lordred so you can see it externally. I announce each kill and at the end you can see the score.

In this vid I'm bitter because of the AC/2 ninja penalty which at the time PGI's moderators denied, denied, denied existing when later PGI said it was intentional but not working as intended. It's time skipped to the match, though, and I'm using an XL engine and triple AC/2s + 3 tons of ammo. Watch me wreck havoc after wasting 80% of my ammo. There's merit in this video because I'm pugging, most of my ammo is used when I do fight, and I'm using small lasers as backups with a slow XL engine.

XL engine 4P.

After using an XL for so long...

And if you didn't get enough... Before any buffs to the mediums, this is a Hunchback with a lance defending the base against 5 spiders and multiple other lights... after the base has been brought down to a sliver of bar left... for 13 minutes AFTER the fact! And not only surviving but winning.

Spiders don't have a chance.

Edited by Koniving, 08 October 2013 - 10:20 AM.

#4 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:24 AM

View PostMungFuSensei, on 08 October 2013 - 07:53 AM, said:

So why do we try to build in order to survive post hunch removal?

I don't use STD engine to survive post-hunch removal.

I use it to survive LT removal.

#5 SchwarzerPeter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 202 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:28 AM

Well, you can't put an AC20 in there with a XL. So no 4G, 4H.

The 4P and 4SP can mount a max STD anyways -> HBK-4SP HBK-4P

The 4J .... yeah ... who is piloting this :D

So why did you need an XL? You can build everything without an it and you get no awesome firepower with it anyways.

Edited by SchwarzerPeter, 08 October 2013 - 10:32 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:40 AM

My own revision of the OP's build.

Reason for changes:
  • A single shot to the back would have killed him. This protects the back. Note the 2 armor on right rear is correct, the Hunch's back side counts as front torso armor. The "right rear" is barely the size of the Hunchback's fist. However the left rear can be hit from in front (that 'tank' or pod on the left torso is REAR despite being visible from the front; one shot to that and boom his hunch is dead).
  • Traded 3 ML for SPLs. They shoot faster, they generate less heat. They are set on head and RT, leaving the medium lasers to be used to deal with chasing off lights. The mech ran too hot.
  • Moved DHS. Where it was, the DHS did nothing but cool and raise threshold. Relocated, it now buffers and protects the medium laser so the ML cannot be destroyed before the arm is. Keeps the weapon in use longer.
Enjoy.

#7 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:43 AM

View PostSchwarzerPeter, on 08 October 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Well, you can't put an AC20 in there with a XL. So no 4G, 4H.

The 4P and 4SP can mount a max STD anyways -> HBK-4SP HBK-4P

The 4J .... yeah ... who is piloting this :D

So why did you need an XL? You can build everything without an it and you get no awesome firepower with it anyways.

Who says you need an AC20? It's good, but it's not the only weapon out there. You can actually snipe with an AC10 without worrying about wasting your shots. And the XLs give you more speed. More speed equals less shots landing on the hump.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users