Davidhurricane's Basic Guide To Assault!

No replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 08 October 2013 - 07:55 AM

This is just a quick guide to a few maps and roles that I decided I would create and expand ;). So, here it goes (constructive feedback welcomed):

OVERALL:
The opening of the game is short, unlike my description. If you are short by more than two men, it is best to guard the physical base itself, not spreading out. Don't wander off, unless they are sniping you or going over/under hills over and over. Otherwise it is best to typically push the enemy, but don't engage alone. Like I say, "Stick together but don't bunch up." Pick a route to go on, and you have finished the opening game. Commanders should use battle grid during this time and have their overall plans and backup plans in place. The team should listen to the commander, but the commander should be open to suggestions and accept failure/when a teammate is/was correct.
The middle game is all the fun and begins right after the opening and only ends when the games is about five minutes from ending (so it is a long time). You should begin maneuvering to either attack or capture and should be attempting to gain control over the strategically valuable areas (detailed in the maps section). This is the key aspect of the game, and the outcome of the game unfolds here. T is critical to do your part in this section and to not mess up. Your base is arguably the most important thing is this period, as beginning part of a cap can have a significant outcome on the endgame. If you are an ammo based Mech and you run out of ammo during the middle game, it is best to assume endgame and either distract the enemy for your allies to have time or to cap (unless you have a good backup system). Commanders shouldn't use battle grid during this period, they should issue chat orders. The team needs to follow these, or make alternate suggestions.
Now we head to the end game. This is when the numbers star winding down or one base is almost captured. If your base is being capped, than you have two options, go back or try to cap their base. This is entirely circumstantial. It all depends on what is left of your team/the enemy team. There is no real strategy to follow (but chess can improve your thinking in situations like this). However, I can tell you that your gut instincts are not very wrong in this period of the game (most of the time).
Summing it all up:

1) If you are in a fair fight, your tactics suck (exception in when you have disconnected/AFK men).
2)Be smart or be dead.
3)Teamwork is surviving.
4)The last man alive should try to cap.
5)"Stick together but don't bunch up."
6) If you lose to many men, start capping.

Now for the General Roles of Mechs:

LIGHTS: Or anything that goes at above 99 kph. If this describes your Mech, you should typically rush to capture or scout out. However, give the enemy time to get out of their base before going to cap. If your base is being capped, then you should rush back as one (unless you are the only light or one of two lights, in which case get a medium to help you). If you are going to fight, follow the rules of light Mech combat (never engage head on, hit fast then hide, etc).

MEDIUMS: Medium Mechs are important. They mount good weapons and are still kind of fast. These are your gladiators. You should typically engage the enemy forces and assist lights in capping, depending on your speed and Mech (you can even snipe if that is what you're built for). You should typically not engage head on of course, and have comrades around if you do.

HEAVIES: If Medium Mechs are the younger brothers with a big mouth (the glimpse of strength) than the heavy Mechs are the older punching brothers (the ones who are the strength) (bad metaphor). Heavies should typically be in the front of the battle or sniping, whichever one you are built for (although it is best to try and have at least one sniper and at least two attackers). The attackers should typically work with the medium Mechs to press a heavy assault on the enemy. The snipers shouldn't give away their position, and change positions if possible. Recon isn't for heavies unless they are moving with mediums as well to do recon. Heavies are the ones who should hit hard and fast.

ASSAULTS: These are the big bad players. Assaults follow some pretty simple rules. They shouldn't try to cap (too slow), they shouldn't run back to attack people capping the base (too slow), and they shouldn't engage lights on their own (too slow). However, they are the heavy hitters of the group and need to be more active in a battle than the heavies. Assault Mechs should avoid exposure as that leaves them at risk to Mechs faster than them (I can't stress their slowness enough). However, anything that moves slow should follow these rules. Assaults typically **** up the rear (due to speed), so the team needs to remember that before/during a battle.

MAPS:

So I have some strategies for some maps. I don't really need detailed feedback on these, and their main goals are to gain control over tactical areas A.S.A.P. So here it goes again:

TERRA THERMA:

Basically gain control over the middle. Anyone who has played with me on this knows what I'll tell people to do:

“Storm the middle. Move FAST and hit hard. Don't hesitate. Push in and spread out, than regroup and hit them as HARD as you can. Don't bottleneck. Then move to cap.”

Avoid taking scenic routes and go directly to the middle. Normally it is a death sentence, but following this typically improves your chance or surviving (a well coordinated team can increase it even more).

FROZEN CITY:

There are some pretty basic rules here.

1)There is an urban sector of the stage. This is a good spot for lights and mediums to direct engage, but slower Mechs should take care because their speed leaves them vulnerable.
2)The tunnel is great for sneaking up, but if the enemy has seismic sensors the gig's up.
3)The hills are fantastic sniping points and/or boating points. Take advantage of these (or remember to attack these, depending on the situation).

ALPINE PEAKS:

This is a uber-fun stage. So here are the rules again:

LIGHTS: Lights should typically take advantage of the hilly terrain's hiding spots. There is one really good hill that I'll wait on to spy, and then move to cap after the enemies pass by.
MEDIUMS: Mediums can be an all purpose Mech on this stage. They should watch out engaging alone though (see general rule no. 1).
HEAVIES: Heavies should either be in the front lines or using the hills to snipe. They should not do recon unless they are very fast, and they should only take routes they know they can navigate/climb (unless they have jump jets, in which case there are no problems with the hilly terrain).
ASSAULTS: Assaults should be in the heat of battle, and not really anywhere else except guarding. They should take care in areas where an ambush may be stationed.

Also, don't wander off. And once again, make use of the hills, be it defense or offense.

Those are the ones I have the most experience on, so good luck. And once again, constructive feedback is welcome! This is just a framework too, so expand on it and build your own strategies as you wish.

Edited by DavidHurricane, 08 October 2013 - 07:57 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users