- - - - -

How Does The Spotting Reward System Work?

Reward Spotting

26 replies to this topic

#1 Blind Hydra

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 08:57 AM

Hi guys, i'm new here, and I'm enjoying alot light mechs, but i cannot understand how the spotting reward system work, I just randomly get now and then the spotting reward ingame and I can't understand how I earned it.

Could somebody explain me how the reward system works for spotting?

#2 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

When you target an enemy, and someone else targets it using your lock, they can bombard the target with indirect fire weapons. Holding the target lock until they hit will yield a Spotting Bonus. I think you must also be the closest to the target.

You get one SB per friendly unit that hits the enemy, but it doesn't matter how often they hit them (so, if 3 friendlies hit the target twice each, you get 3 bonuses, not 6).

#3 Capt Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 269 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:09 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 08 October 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

When you target an enemy, and someone else targets it using your lock, they can bombard the target with indirect fire weapons. Holding the target lock until they hit will yield a Spotting Bonus. I think you must also be the closest to the target.

You get one SB per friendly unit that hits the enemy, but it doesn't matter how often they hit them (so, if 3 friendlies hit the target twice each, you get 3 bonuses, not 6).

This. It is rather confusing at first.

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:12 AM

View PostArnold J Rimmer, on 08 October 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

Not quite

If you have a target locked and you are the closest and the first and that target takes damage from any kind you get the bonus. Most likely this comes from LRM fire but it can be anything at all. If 3 team mates shoot the same target while you have it locked and this is the first damage they have done to it. You get the three bonuses. At least one bonus is available for each enemy.

If you have TAG/NARC you get an additional bonus for having a target TAGged/NARCed when LRMs from a friendly hit.

Short version use the LOCK key for free XP and CB!

#5 Bront

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:19 AM

View PostscJazz, on 08 October 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

Not quite

If you have a target locked and you are the closest and the first and that target takes damage from any kind you get the bonus. Most likely this comes from LRM fire but it can be anything at all. If 3 team mates shoot the same target while you have it locked and this is the first damage they have done to it. You get the three bonuses. At least one bonus is available for each enemy.

If you have TAG/NARC you get an additional bonus for having a target TAGged/NARCed when LRMs from a friendly hit.

Short version use the LOCK key for free XP and CB!

The Spotting bonus only comes from indirect fire, but I believe you can earn it more than once for a particular person/target combo if there's a delay of some time between shots. I'm not 100% sure if only one person gets it though, as I've gotten a spotting bonus when I was the 2nd or 3rd guy to spot a mech.

#6 Blind Hydra

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the answers, also:

1): What does ECM do, and is it a module, or is it chassis related?
2): Is there a way to edit my name? I'd like to add a space in it, since i didin't know it was possible.

#7 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:24 AM

To add onto everybody, notice the upside -down red triangle above enemies. There are two kinds - the triangles that are solid red, and the ones that are only the outline. Your teammates don't know that the enemies with the outline-only triangles are even there. Unless you are currently targeting a mech that is getting nailed by barrage after barrage of LRMs, you should typically cycle to the ones without the outline, so teammates will at least know that there is an enemy there, out of their sight.

Here's an example just earlier that made me headdesk over and over. I had died, match is close to over, four left on the enemy team, four left on ours, its the Caustic Valley. An enemy Victor that was getting pounded by three of our teammates,w with less than 30% health left, pulls back behind the ridge of the mountain, out of their sight. However, there was a teammate in aspider that could see him. There was a red outline above him, and I was typing into the chat "Spot him, Spider!" But he didn't. So his teammates couldn't lock on. Now it'd be wrong to say that that single-handedly lost the match for us, but that Victor was maybe twenty LRMs from being kaput, and he came back later to kick some ***. If the Spider just pressed the ******* R button, like he should've done, it would've been eliminated, and the Spider would've gotten at least one spot assist bonus. Now admittedly, that Spider was most likely very new to the game, judging by his piloting skills, but once you know better, there is no excuse for not targeting an enemy. There's a reason the button to do so, the R button, is right next to your WASD keys.

#8 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

1. ECM prevents enemies from targeting your 'Mech (and nearby friendly 'Mechs), which can make it harder for them to shoot you with LRMs or Streaks. It also keeps you off of their radar, and if you're close enough to the enemy, disrupts their radar completely. It is not a module, but an actual 1.5 ton item you mount on a specific hardpoint on your 'Mech. Currently, there are only 5 mechs that have an ECM hardpoint (Spider-5D, Raven-3L, Commando-2D, Cicada-3M, and Atlas-DDC) and the hardpoint is always in the Left Torso.

2. Not yet, but they're planning to add this functionality in eventually. It will probably have an MC cost associated with it.

Edited by DEMAX51, 08 October 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#9 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:26 AM

You can send a ticket in to support@mwomercs.com to change your name. They "might" do it.

ECM is a module and not every mech can have it.

View PostBront, on 08 October 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

The Spotting bonus only comes from indirect fire, but I believe you can earn it more than once for a particular person/target combo if there's a delay of some time between shots. I'm not 100% sure if only one person gets it though, as I've gotten a spotting bonus when I was the 2nd or 3rd guy to spot a mech.

Any damage any at all from a friendly in any way. First hit by that friendly.

#10 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:30 AM

View PostBlindHydra, on 08 October 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

2): Is there a way to edit my name? I'd like to add a space in it, since i didin't know it was possible.

1) ECM can either disrupt radar, not allowing targeting beyond 180 meters, slow down missile lock when passing though ECM, and slow down targeting info gathering, or it can counter another ECM within 180 meters. It is hardpoint mounted on the ECM hardpoint.

2) No, there is no way to edit your name at this time.

#11 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostBlindHydra, on 08 October 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

ECM is equipment for the mech, like a heatsink or BAP. ECM has two modes, Disrupt and Counter.

First, Counter mode. You're in Disrupt mode by default, but if you press J when near an enemy who also has ECM, you will cancel out their ECM Disrupt effect.

In Disrupt mode, you cannot be targeted by any enemy except within 180m. The only way to cancel that effect is to:

1. Destroy the ECM on the mech. It is in either the left torso or right torso.
2. Approach the mech with your own ECM-carrying mech and press J, to cancel it out. Depending on the situation, it can be very useful. If you're a Raven-3L flanking an enemy offensive with an Atlas-D-DC (it has ECM) and two other assaults, who are targeting your team, you should switch to Disrupt. It'll allow your team to target the enemy, which is necessary for stripping an enemy of its weapons.
3. You can use TAG. Its an energy weapon that produces no heat, weighs one ton, and takes up one slot. Its range is 750m, and if you lase an enemy with it, missiles aimed towards it are much more accurate, whether they be LRMs or SSRMs, maybe even SRMs too. It can be used to target an enemy with ECM as long as you maintain a lock longer than one second.
4. You can use NARC. But NARC sucks big time at the moment, so don't bother using it.

#12 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:33 AM

View PostscJazz, on 08 October 2013 - 09:26 AM, said:

ECM is a module and not every mech can have it.

ECM is NOT a module. It is a chassis-mounted item.

Module = things like "advanced sensor range" and "Coolshot 9x9" which cost GXP & C-bills to unlock, but do not take up critical slots or weight on your 'Mech.

#13 Blind Hydra

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:36 AM

Thanks guys for the interesest in answering my questions, also may i ask if the Raven 3L, is a good choice as harraser/assault scout, if not what role does it fits at best?

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:41 AM

View PostBront, on 08 October 2013 - 09:19 AM, said:

Comes from when the following occurs: LRMs or Streaks hit your target. Note: Your own missiles can count especially with streaks.

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:45 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 08 October 2013 - 09:33 AM, said:

ECM is NOT a module. It is a chassis-mounted item.

Module = things like "advanced sensor range" and "Coolshot 9x9" which cost GXP & C-bills to unlock, but do not take up critical slots or weight on your 'Mech.

Correct yet not.

Where it's not: In lore, it's referred to as a module (and all modules are attachments to the mech). Quite specifically it is referred to as the Guardian Electronic Counter Measure Suite, which is an "install-able module." All modules in lore are weight-worthy pieces of equipment that can be installed or swapped out. In fact, weapons and engines are also "modules."

Where it's correct: In MWO, PGI has defined the module as a weightless, slot-less 'end-game' attachment to enhance your mech at high one-time expense and difficulty to unlock. Thus, in this definition ECM is not a module in MWO.

So you can understand why Jazz said it the way he did.

#16 IllCaesar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 09:48 AM

View PostBlindHydra, on 08 October 2013 - 09:36 AM, said:

Thanks guys for the interesest in answering my questions, also may i ask if the Raven 3L, is a good choice as harraser/assault scout, if not what role does it fits at best?

I had a feeling you were talking about the Raven. On paper, its a good scout mech. In practice, not so much. The Spider or Commando with ECM are better "scouts", and the 3L probably performs best more in a support role than a scout role. For example, this is the most effective build I've seen for the 3L:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7db231cfa6bdb45
You harass with those ERLLs, and keep your team under your ECM blanket, and the BAP increases your maximum spotting range. Its no good against a light mech built for CQC, but its great at harassing heavy/assault mechs. There's a similar build for the Cicada as well.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ea087a639928682

or

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...96b9ad8820e7f16

The Cicada has a much larger silhouette than the Raven, which is worth noting. Really any of those three would do a great job at harassing the enemy while protecting your team with a blanket of ECM.

Edit: Oh and on the point of ECM, if you use it, do remember you use Counter mode! Here's an instance where there's literally no reason to not use Counter. You have three mechs, including yourself, in close proximity using ECM. There's an Atlas D-DC and some of its buddies close behind attacking your team. Switch to Counter, it'll expose the enemy while you and your team remain under its protection.

^ I see this scenario happen generally once a day. I'd say its inexcusable. Very frustrating every single time I see it.

Edited by MarsAtlas, 08 October 2013 - 10:00 AM.

#17 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:00 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 08 October 2013 - 09:25 AM, said:

2. Not yet, but they're planning to add this functionality in eventually. It will probably have an MC cost associated with it.

If you email support@mwomercs.com and ask directly you might have some luck. I know of a couple of pilots who've emailed the team to correct typos and had them granted. If you want to completely change your name, though, I'm pretty sure you'll be denied.

#18 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostMarsAtlas, on 08 October 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

*snip* Your teammates don't know that the enemies with the outline-only triangles are even there. ...

...So his teammates couldn't lock on.

As far as I can tell, this isn't true - as long as an enemy is visible by any friendly not suffering the effects of ECM, it can be targeted and hit with lrms. The only benefit I can see to hitting R (aside from the spotting bonus) is that your teammates 1) know you're deliberately targeting that particular unit (perhaps also signaling that they're not behind cover) and 2) get the detailed load-out & status info quicker.

Example: Friendly spider ducks through the tunnel and sees a field of Reds, all with their backs turned. Lots of empty triangles. Spidey's teammates can then target any of those enemies & LRM-spam them unto dust. Spidey notes which Reds have incoming missiles and target with R, thereby gaining said bonus. Rinse & repeat; etc. etc. etc.; yadda yadda yadda.

I know from my Catapult grind that I do not require friendly to have R-lock to target someone myself and launch LRMs - but it does increase the likelihood of hits if I know the person with line-of-sight is trying to maintain that contact.

#19 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 10:55 AM

Hollow triangle targets are Not focused on by anyone. These are passive-targets that are detected but are being ignored by whoever does detect them. Solid triangles are focused or actively targeted.

#20 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:06 AM

View PostBlalok, on 08 October 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

As far as I can tell, this isn't true - as long as an enemy is visible by any friendly not suffering the effects of ECM, it can be targeted and hit with lrms. The only benefit I can see to hitting R (aside from the spotting bonus) is that your teammates 1) know you're deliberately targeting that particular unit (perhaps also signaling that they're not behind cover) and 2) get the detailed load-out & status info quicker.

Example: Friendly spider ducks through the tunnel and sees a field of Reds, all with their backs turned. Lots of empty triangles. Spidey's teammates can then target any of those enemies & LRM-spam them unto dust. Spidey notes which Reds have incoming missiles and target with R, thereby gaining said bonus. Rinse & repeat; etc. etc. etc.; yadda yadda yadda.

I know from my Catapult grind that I do not require friendly to have R-lock to target someone myself and launch LRMs - but it does increase the likelihood of hits if I know the person with line-of-sight is trying to maintain that contact.

This is not correct - you only transfer target data on an enemy to your allies if you target them by pressing R. Seeing them alone DOES NOT DO IT. Trust me! This is why, when a scout goes out and sees a bunch of enemies, they will cycle their lock between the enemies quickly to alert their team that there are several of them. Just having line-of-sight on them without pressing R DOES NOT GIVE YOUR TEAMMATES THE ABILITY TO TARGET!

What you may be experiencing is the UAV drone, which will allow you to target any mech in its range regardless of whether one of your friendlies is targeting it or not.

View PostKoniving, on 08 October 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

Correct yet not.

Where it's not: In lore, it's referred to as a module (and all modules are attachments to the mech). Quite specifically it is referred to as the Guardian Electronic Counter Measure Suite, which is an "install-able module." All modules in lore are weight-worthy pieces of equipment that can be installed or swapped out. In fact, weapons and engines are also "modules."

Where it's correct: In MWO, PGI has defined the module as a weightless, slot-less 'end-game' attachment to enhance your mech at high one-time expense and difficulty to unlock. Thus, in this definition ECM is not a module in MWO.

So you can understand why Jazz said it the way he did.

I understand where Jazz was coming from, but this is MWO, not lore. Using the correct terms is important, especially when trying to help a new player understand what is going on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users