ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostValcrow, on 11 October 2013 - 10:40 AM, said:

Props to you! you did spot it! The cylinder piece doesn't allow the socket to spread AT ALL, it's actually there to put additional pressure on the ball since otherwise it'll just flop around. So it was impossible to get the hip ball in without either messing up the socket or something else.

I actually had to disassemble the entire pelvis assembly at this point, print another socket piece (because I ruined it) and put it together properly. -Ball in socket before Cylinder ring. Good thing they are separate pieces or I would have had to re-paint pieces.

@kiriage

Well as long as your pieces are within the minimum detail size, it should print ok on shapeways no matter how complex the object. Not so for FDM printers. Also a good thing about making joints... if it doesn't work, you can always just glue it in the pose you like anyways. B) How big is this puppy gonna be?

was looking to scale in proportion to your Atlas, so if the Atlas stands 6 inches, I was thinking 4.25-4.5 inches to the top of the LRM rack. Kiriage has the precise measurements sorted, so since he is doing the real heavy lifting here, any deviation from that is A-OK.

#22 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 11 October 2013 - 11:43 AM

Stunning work.

PGI really needs to get on the ball and market models like this somehow. So much money to be made.

#23 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 October 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

was looking to scale in proportion to your Atlas, so if the Atlas stands 6 inches, I was thinking 4.25-4.5 inches to the top of the LRM rack. Kiriage has the precise measurements sorted, so since he is doing the real heavy lifting here, any deviation from that is A-OK.

Oh nice! It's too bad I didn't use any particular standard in scale. Now I have different sized atlas, jenner & catapult but they all don't go together :/ At least the Jenner would be compatible with the armorcast stuff.

Oh well, maybe we'll make our own scale.. that seems like a good size for ginormous TT battles, but not so big that you need more than a room. :)

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

View PostValcrow, on 15 October 2013 - 11:48 AM, said:

Oh nice! It's too bad I didn't use any particular standard in scale. Now I have different sized atlas, jenner & catapult but they all don't go together :/ At least the Jenner would be compatible with the armorcast stuff.

Oh well, maybe we'll make our own scale.. that seems like a good size for ginormous TT battles, but not so big that you need more than a room. :)

would love to see the Armorcast scale for the KGC, be 300 bucks, probably...but....... nom nom nom

#25 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 05:11 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 October 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

just to confirm..at present it will be near enough to 4.5 inches (or 114mm for those of us that use a sane system of measurement) to the top of the lrm rack.

Edited by kiriage, 18 October 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

View Postkiriage, on 18 October 2013 - 05:11 PM, said:

just to confirm..at present it will be near enough to 4.5 inches (or 114mm for those of us that use a sane system of measurement) to the top of the lrm rack.

are you saying I am not sane? I deny your version of reality! My is much less sterile and much more interesting!

#27 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:50 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 18 October 2013 - 06:56 PM, said:

are you saying I am not sane? I deny your version of reality! My is much less sterile and much more interesting!

It still gives me a headache when Im dealing with the old boys in the building industry, and they want a 5/8th bit or a piece of 4x2..first builder I worked for would randomly mix between imperial and metric as it suited him..used to confuse the {Scrap} out of me. Actually building mechs by the cubit sounds strangely appropriate though.

#28 Tombstoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,193 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Nice work but i hope a letter from a lawyer is not in your future.

#29 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:54 PM

View PostTombstoner, on 18 October 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

For what reason would he receive a legal notice? He is not selling these items, or making them available for public release.

#30 The Reaper Beckons

• PipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 09:59 PM

Mate,

That's incredible. Nice one.

#31 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 October 2013 - 10:04 PM

Oh geez, when you have inches in your 3D program, and having to deal with x/8 inches. :D

I just do everything in metric and then state the size in inches for Americans to avoid the eventual confusion.

For some strange reason, inches are easier to guestimate while metric is easier to work with and superior in every other way. :)

View PostTombstoner, on 18 October 2013 - 09:52 PM, said:

Ah I'm not too concerned. They know well enough about it, it's on their FB page. It was a gift to them + sarah's family, and I'm not selling it. Plus I made an atlas before this with no complaints.

#32 kiriage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:13 PM

View PostValcrow, on 18 October 2013 - 10:04 PM, said:

For some strange reason, inches are easier to guestimate while metric is easier to work with and superior in every other way. :)

this is pretty much exactly how my first boss used to do it..guess in imperial and measure in metric..go figure.. :D

#33 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:36 PM

View PostValcrow, on 08 October 2013 - 11:19 AM, said:

Jenner!

Question. How much did it cost to have the Jenner 3-D printed?

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 04:27 AM

I wanna know what Val has planned next, even if I have to blow him up in game right away every match to ensure he has time to get back to this stuff. :)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 19 October 2013 - 04:29 AM.

#35 Candun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 124 posts
  • Locationpotland oilgon

Posted 19 October 2013 - 09:21 AM

that is fn awesome!!!

#36 D Day

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA USA

Posted 19 October 2013 - 02:20 PM

Beautiful job - all around. ;)

#37 Valcrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 20 October 2013 - 02:26 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 October 2013 - 04:27 AM, said:

I wanna know what Val has planned next, even if I have to blow him up in game right away every match to ensure he has time to get back to this stuff. ;)

You do that anyway! All I want is to get my poor mechs to elite. I haven't decided yet though, I usually wait until there's something I can make that'll let me learn/try some new stuff, is cool and inspiring in some way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users