Mad Cat For Mwo, And Maybe More

56 replies to this topic

#1 Stingray Productions

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:59 AM

What the Mad Cat for MWO might look like. I will be so happy when this thing finally hits the battlefield! B)

Posted Image

Edit: Old Atlas for MWO

Posted Image

Edited by Stingray1234, 16 October 2013 - 08:07 AM.

#2 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

Possible Mad Dog Concept Art

Posted Image

Edit: Nova Cat

Posted Image

Edit: Mad Cat Mk IV

Posted Image

Edit: Uziel

Posted Image

Edited by Stingray1234, 24 October 2013 - 08:41 AM.

#3 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:52 PM

Possible Kodiak Concept Art:

Posted Image

Edit: Urbanmech

Posted Image

Vulture:

Posted Image

Edited by Stingray1234, 13 November 2013 - 11:14 AM.

#4 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

Hey guys, had a couple of people message me wanting to do their own concept art images. So, here's a background you guys can use as a template and make your own:

Posted Image

#5 Sruba4

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Orginal Mad Cat is one of the ugliest mech in inner spehre, followed by most of clan tech mechs. I really hope MWO art team will take the 80s look out from them and make them look more modern like they did with current mechs implemented in game.

#6 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:43 PM

i think they'll make the Mad Cat look pretty good. My honest opinion is it will look fairly close to the old design, but not so skinny, that's Why i chose the picture up above, I think it represents fairly closely what the community wants. And as for that MW4 Mad cat.....yeah, it looked to me like a cartoonish version of the mad cat.

#7 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 14 October 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

If they make Mad Cat look completely different from the original like with Atlas, then I'm going to blow chunks and go on a rampage.

so....does that mean you liked the original atlas art better? It's ok, but I gotta be honest, MWO's version of the atlas is the best lookin' atlas I've ever seen.....in fact, most of their designs have turned out to be way better then I ever thought it could be. The biggest example is their Cicada. The cicada was always freakin' ugly to me...until MWO, then I saw their version and thought, "gosh, it actually looks good....it actually looks awesome!." - I do however hope they do as you say, make the Mad Cat look a little more like the older version.

#8 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:55 PM

View PostSruba4, on 14 October 2013 - 01:34 PM, said:

Orginal Mad Cat is one of the ugliest mech in inner spehre, followed by most of clan tech mechs. I really hope MWO art team will take the 80s look out from them and make them look more modern like they did with current mechs implemented in game.

I disagree, I like the look of the Clan 'Mechs far more than the IS (including the Timber Wolf, by the way.

#9 Richard Strong

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 01:57 PM

View PostMarack Drock, on 14 October 2013 - 01:05 PM, said:

If they make Mad Cat look completely different from the original like with Atlas, then I'm going to blow chunks and go on a rampage. Timber Wolf is a mech that cannot be edited in any way shape or form. MW4 Mad Cat was bad. Original Mad Cat is the only image that needs to stay the same.

Having played lots of different MW games, the MW4 Mad Cat doesn't really stand out as different from the rest. Are you sure you aren't referring to the Mad Cat MkII? Totally different mech.

#10 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:08 PM

View PostRichard Strong, on 14 October 2013 - 01:57 PM, said:

Having played lots of different MW games, the MW4 Mad Cat doesn't really stand out as different from the rest. Are you sure you aren't referring to the Mad Cat MkII? Totally different mech.

Look at the difference between the two:

MW4 Mad Cat:................................................................................Original Mad Cat:
Posted ImagePosted Image

the arms of the MW4 mad cat are short and stubby, with the original the arms are much longer. Look at the knee joints. With the MW4 mad cat the two legs come straight up and down from the knee joint. The original mad cat, the bottom leg potrudes out from the knee, then goes down:

not only that, but I still think the MW4 mad cat looks cartoonish compared to the original Mad Cat

Edited by Stingray1234, 14 October 2013 - 02:13 PM.

#11 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:17 PM

The Madcat in MW4 was designed to fit in with the visual design of the game and I think it fit in with that fine. It looks cartoonish to me now more because MW4 was never really a great looking game anyway (slightly behind the times).

I'm curious what they do with it. It seems like making the Clans unique is the direction to go but I still don't see the FASA designs fitting in here entirely. Maybe something like the Alpha Strike cover though. It's not far off but does have detailing more in line with MWO.

Then again I might be reading into the fact that Alex did the cover a bit to much...still looks like the right direction.

#12 Magitek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ominous
  • The Ominous
  • 128 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:35 PM

The true of the matter is Alex worries more over the Timberwolf, than any other mech. I don't think he would stray too far from the original work. It's just got to be done right, both in-game mechanics and looks. I can't say I envy that task.

#13 AstroMagnum

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 06:08 PM

Possible early Shadowhawk concept art.
Posted Image

Edited by AstroMagnum, 14 October 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#14 Agent Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 437 posts
  • Locationbottom left of canaduh

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:06 PM

have you not seen the flying debris cover for Alpha Strike?
http://d15yciz5bluc8...efinalCover.jpg

Thats his take on the Madcat.

#15 Bubba Norton

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 7 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:36 PM

A Kodiak? please!! or the Black Widow Dire Wolf that Natasha Kerensky used as a hero mech, what an idea.

#16 Fury9er

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 03:54 AM

A couple of things bug me about the Timber Wolf design, mainly the shot traps facing front and nose machine guns that no major variant has. Only one space left in the CT according to the TRO (although those areas could be the Head or R/L torso sections)

The spindly arms used to grate on me until I realised the thinnest bit is as wide as a person's body and is rounded so the armour is dense and shots will tend to glance off.

When I look at all the different artwork for Omnimechs it strikes me that a lot of the differences can be put down to upgrades or minor production changes. The modular and configurable nature of Omnimechs would reinforce this idea, plus the Clans general desire to make things as efficient and practical as possible.

According to Sarna the Timber Wolf is a 104 year old design by 3049 so it has probably had several changes made over that time period. Prior to Invading the Inner Sphere it was also only made at a single factory on Strana Mechy and not many of them got into other Clans Toumans, so you could also expect to see a difference between Timber Wolves from different Clans.

Taking the knee joint for example, my horizon model has a half-offset knee. This is an early 90s kit based on the references of the time, so you could consider it to be from the earlier block of Timber Wolf production for example. The ones you see in Mechwarrior 3 with the alligned knee joints could be explained as being a version perculiar to the 3060ish era, perhaps something the SJ techs on Tranquil decided to do to their Mad Dogs as well, or possibly as an adjustment that spread throughout the Clans. The Avatar being designed from 3049 era versions of the Mad Dog uses the "old" version offset knee.

I think about this stuff too much : /

Edited for spelling.

Edited by Fury9er, 15 October 2013 - 03:55 AM.

#17 Firenze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:59 AM

Posted Image
Honestly this is the style I would use... I scribbled it up in about fifteen minutes. http://fav.me/d6qklf5

#18 Stingray Productions

• 1,906 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:07 AM

View PostFirenze, on 15 October 2013 - 07:59 AM, said:

Honestly this is the style I would use... I scribbled it up in about fifteen minutes. http://fav.me/d6qklf5

dang, only 15 mintues? That's pretty good! :)

#19 Firenze

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 104 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:21 AM

View PostStingray1234, on 15 October 2013 - 08:07 AM, said:

dang, only 15 mintues? That's pretty good! :)

Haha thanks. I kinda love drawing mechs. Its become a slight obsession. Im tempted to finish this pic and move on to some of my other favourite mechs from battletech like the Supernova and Marauder.

#20 youn

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:32 AM

I really want kodiak, nova cat, and daishi

26 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 26 guests, 0 anonymous users