8 replies to this topic

#1 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:17 PM

I just ran through my entire ammo supply in testing grounds without a jam. Is this a bug and is the DPS while chain firing higher than 3 x AC-5? Top weapon in group 1 is an ultra, second is the AC-5 and the bottom is the other ultra. Jager-DD was the test mech.

Edited by Spheroid, 27 October 2013 - 08:21 PM.

#2 Raynz

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:24 PM

Don't think it's a bug. My Triple UAC5 Ilya never jammed if I chain-fired the UACs. Being the UAC5 and AC5 are now the same cooldown, chain-fire should work the same way.

EDIT: Although now that I've said that, I haven't run triple UAC5 since the cooldown increase, so I'm no longer sure.

Edited by Raynz, 27 October 2013 - 08:25 PM.

#3 Alex Warden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts
  • Location...straying in the Inner Sphere...

Posted 27 October 2013 - 08:29 PM

View PostRaynz, on 27 October 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Don't think it's a bug. My Triple UAC5 Ilya never jammed if I chain-fired the UACs. Being the UAC5 and AC5 are now the same cooldown, chain-fire should work the same way.

EDIT: Although now that I've said that, I haven't run triple UAC5 since the cooldown increase, so I'm no longer sure.

would at least make sense, since the singlefire of the UAC5 isn´t faster anymore, so basically it makes no drifference if you chain ac5´s or UAC´s

#4 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:08 PM

They changed the cooldown/reload speed of the UAC-5 to be the same as the normal AC-5. Too many people were running with a macro and triple UAC-5's that would fire their guns in chainfire in exact intervals so that none of the UACs were ever firing in before they were fully loaded. In other words they were using the naturally high reload rate of the UAC instead of the double fire mechanic at all.

So, PGI nerfed the UAC-5 to reload at the same rate as the normal AC-5. Since putting any weapon in chainfire will separate the firing of the next weapon by about .5 seconds, the reload rate of 1.5 seconds for three guns is perfect to get a consistent and constant firing run for your 3 guns.

If you want to run three UAC-5's in chainfire, it is the same, with the advantage of being able to fire them in a normal fire group to get double fire rate (and jamming) out of them, but the disadvantage that they're 3 tons heavier for no benefit if you never fire in a normal fire group, but always chainfire them.

#5 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:18 PM

Well I tested many autocannons and came to the following conclusions. Two UAC-5 in chain fire will jam, three AC-5 in chain fire is pointless, three UAC-5 is identical in damage to three AC-5(also pointless) and an AC-2 is not useable as a quick buffer weapon in a three gun setup.

#6 Asmosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

an ac2 would fit fine into chain fire, if you had 2xuac5 and 1xac2 in chainfire the ac2 would only be firing once every 1.5 seconds. Its a waste of the ac2's time, but it would allow you to chainfire without the UAC's jamming.

My current jagger DD config uses 2UAC5, 1AC5, 3MG's + 2 MLs and the (U)AC5's chainfire fine without jamming as expected.

#7 Chihuahua

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:41 PM

2UAC5, 1AC5, 3MG's + 2 MLs and the (U)AC5's chainfire fine without jamming as expected.

Well why not simply mount 3 AC/5 then since if i got it correctly you loose double fire rate (and jamming) for no benefit and 2t more weight?

Edited by Chihuahua, 28 October 2013 - 08:43 PM.

#8 Spheroid

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,064 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostAsmosis, on 28 October 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

an ac2 would fit fine into chain fire, if you had 2xuac5 and 1xac2 in chainfire the ac2 would only be firing once every 1.5 seconds. Its a waste of the ac2's time, but it would allow you to chainfire without the UAC's jamming.

My current jagger DD config uses 2UAC5, 1AC5, 3MG's + 2 MLs and the (U)AC5's chainfire fine without jamming as expected.

But those ultra don't fire any faster than a regular AC-5 if you add that AC-2. I tested ammo depletion time to verify this.

#9 Chihuahua

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationBerlin

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:57 PM

yes that's why the Jager-Build mentioned above is a waste of 2 tons. whenever your UAC's do not jam you do not benefit from the faster reload-rate and should be replaced by standard AC/5.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users