16 replies to this topic

#1 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:46 AM

So there are statues in the game that look great, and I thought why doesn't PGI/IGP make real statues that we can purchase. Have a hero mech be $20-$40 sure, but you buy the figure which comes with a code to redeem the mech in-game. Alternatively, make figurines that can be used in the TT that come with a code for the mech in-game. If you give your customers something real alongside the digital purchase, maybe they would be more willing to make the purchase.

Just an idea I though up.

#2 Biglead

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think this would be a fantastic idea.

#3 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:12 PM

View PostHrothmar, on 12 October 2013 - 02:46 AM, said:

why doesn't PGI/IGP make real statues that we can purchase.

Most likely because someone else has the license to make real-life statues, models, and/or action figures related to the BattleTech/Mechwarrior franchises.

Edited by stjobe, 12 October 2013 - 12:13 PM.

#4 Biglead

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationManassas, Va

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:15 PM

View Poststjobe, on 12 October 2013 - 12:12 PM, said:

Most likely because someone else has the license to make real-life statues, models, and/or action figures related to the BattleTech/Mechwarrior franchises.

PGI contracts that company out to make our designs and then sells the product back to us. Win for everyone.

#5 XphR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationTVM-Iceless Fold Space Observatory Entertaining cats...

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

PGI cant make "any physical merchandise" if I remember correctly, they cant even make shirts.

#6 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

Good idea, but this.

Also, you're talking about manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and retail. This would be a pretty big deal to get off the ground.

Where I thought you were going: Back when I was playing WoW (I can't believe I admitted that) there was a company that would get the information for your character, then could custom create a miniature figure of your exact toon. Something like this for MWO might be pretty cool, especially if all mechs are going to eventually get the "dynamic hardpoints" like the Kintaro and some of the other mechs have.

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,629 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's called extracting the models and sending them to your 3D printer. There's a couple of posts on it somewhere.

#8 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostSug, on 12 October 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's called extracting the models and sending them to your 3D printer. There's a couple of posts on it somewhere.

Cool and all, but some of us may not have the technical know-how, resources, or time to do so. Also the work they did was pretty nice because the figures came fully colored and in really nice display cases. The technology at the time was still pretty crude so I could imagine what they could pump out these days.

#9 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

View PostSug, on 12 October 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

It's also worth noting that if you do; don't even think of doing it for someone else and taking money for it. That's a lawsuit just waiting to happen; you don't have a license to sell either PGI 'mech designs or BattleTech/MechWarrior miniatures.

Doing it by yourself, for yourself is probably something PGI and other license holders are willing to turn a blind eye to, but the minute you start earning money off their IP, you're going to get a call from a lawyer.

Edited by stjobe, 12 October 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#10 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:35 PM

View Poststjobe, on 12 October 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

It's also worth noting that if you do; don't even think of doing it for someone else and taking money for it. That's a lawsuit just waiting to happen; you don't have a license to sell either PGI 'mech designs or BattleTech/MechWarrior miniatures.

Doing it by yourself, for yourself is probably something PGI and other license holders are willing to turn a blind eye to, but the minute you start earning money off their IP, you're going to get a call from a lawyer.

And many print services will not print known IP for fear of being in the guilty line in the court room(the others just leave liability on the uploader).

#11 Walks_In_Circles

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 102 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 12 October 2013 - 02:57 PM

I was thinking more cooperation between several copyright holders. Even if PGI or IGP can't make physical media, someone can. there needs to be more mediation between these parties. While production and marketing does take time and resources, this can be contracted out by those who do have the rights. I know business cooperation is far too much to ask, but if you make what people want, they will buy it and be happy about it.

#12 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:00 PM

View PostHrothmar, on 12 October 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

if you make what people want, they will buy it and be happy about it.

But that doesn't necessarily mean profit.

#13 Oppresor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, England

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

They definitely used to, I remember seeing them, but not recently. I found this on the web http://www.google.co...fhoEVTcX-tekVuA so they obviously do exist. I for one would like my own Atlas.

#14 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 12 October 2013 - 03:05 PM

some of us actually have the go-ahead from PGI (ie license) to sell 3d printed models for a small commission

I think that PGI should license the designs to a printing company with a redeemable Champion/Hero Mech code.

OH GOD:

MECHWARRIOR SKYLANDERS INFINITY

Edited by gavilatius, 12 October 2013 - 03:06 PM.

#15 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

View Postgavilatius, on 12 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

some of us actually have the go-ahead from PGI (ie license) to sell 3d printed models for a small commission

I think that PGI should license the designs to a printing company with a redeemable Champion/Hero Mech code.

OH GOD:

MECHWARRIOR SKYLANDERS INFINITY

Can you site this? They can not give license if they do not hold license. From what I had seen it was more of a do it for your self and keep your head down situation with a small mention of material costs. After that things get really sticky once again, having to do with physical merchandizing and lack of license.

#16 XphR

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:34 AM

View Postgavilatius, on 12 October 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Still interested in the verification of this statement in both license and commission.

#17 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:39 AM

I would buy one, infact I've been looking for a decent one for awhile. I had a plastic Warhammer when I was a kid, it was decent quality but a bit too big for a decoration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users