Project Pheonix Mechs Do Not Get "unique Geometry".

38 replies to this topic

#21 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 11:50 PM

If the unique geometry consists entirely of things that make you a bigger target, they should at least grant some special damage reduction bonus :D.

#22 aniviron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,752 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:00 AM

View PostSephlock, on 12 October 2013 - 11:50 PM, said:

If the unique geometry consists entirely of things that make you a bigger target, they should at least grant some special damage reduction bonus :D.

Bigger doesn't always mean worse. The bigger stuff tends to be in the arms, whose main function on every mech is just to shield the important parts anyway. Bigger arms mean harder to kill, the Phoenix mechs should take extra damage. ;)

#23 Flickerlight

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 7 posts
  • LocationQronha-3

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:22 AM

View PostBhael Fire, on 12 October 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

A unique cockpit would have been really cool. But whatever...doesn't bother me at all.

All cockpits are unique.

#24 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:00 AM

Expecting it to have direwolf geometry?

#25 Nekomimi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 13 October 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think the Issue is that these are very small and subtle differences and not something that's instantly noticeable and super cool, like the Founder's Catapult classic nose cone. (The best looking catapult in MWO, imo) I would of preferred more drastic changes, but they still look quite lovely in these unfinished screen shots.

#26 PawPaWuFF

• PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:01 AM

for those long vacation trips, ill argue thats a subjective observation but the truth is there is a physically objective difference in the pheonix and standard variants ;) i am a bit sad the leaked images lack the decals, ill act supprised when they appear tues :D

Posted Image

Edited by user5318, 13 October 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#27 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

View Postaniviron, on 13 October 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Bigger doesn't always mean worse. The bigger stuff tends to be in the arms, whose main function on every mech is just to shield the important parts anyway. Bigger arms mean harder to kill, the Phoenix mechs should take extra damage. :D

We have no proof that the extra geometry will even have different hitboxes. Remember, kids: hitboxes =/= geometry 100% of the time.

#28 Toong

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 427 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:50 AM

View PostPezzer, on 12 October 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

Is anyone else p**** off that the Project Phoenix Mechs are advertised as having "an exclusive exterior featuring unique geometry" (not exact wording :/) only to see the art as having a pretty paintjob...AND RAILS? Rails do NOT count as "unique geometry". Rails do NOT make a Mech look like a cool prototype. Rails just make the Mech look weird.

Hey it's already been said a few times, but this is a big enough deal that I'll say it too. Rails DO count as "unique geometry." Any difference at all between the Shadowhawk 2H(P) and the Shadowhawk 2H satisfies the advertisement claim of unique geometry, whether you think it's big enough or not. You do not get to arbitrarily decide what does and does not count as unique geometry.

Furthermore, the art previews showing the difference between the two has been up for months; They made no attempt to hide what the differences were. If only having rails was so traumatic for you, why did you buy it, or, if you bought it in the week or so before they put up the pictures, why didn't you ask for a refund?

The smallness of the changes between the 2H and the 2H(P) do not annoy me at all. I think they're perfectly reasonable in a game where so much importance is placed on being able to quickly identify your enemy by their silhouette.

#29 Lord Perversor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:37 AM

View Postuser5318, on 13 October 2013 - 10:01 AM, said:

for those long vacation trips, ill argue thats a subjective observation but the truth is there is a physically objective difference in the pheonix and standard variants :( i am a bit sad the leaked images lack the decals, ill act supprised when they appear tues ;)

Posted Image

Ahh a fitting geometry not much of a Bike person myself, this fits perfectly for my needs.

#30 Zerberus

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,488 posts
  • LocationUnder the floorboards looking for the Owner`s Manual

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:41 AM

View PostPezzer, on 12 October 2013 - 11:39 AM, said:

.... Is anyone else at least a little angry about this? ....

No. I would have also like d to see more thn luggage racks on the SH.

But that doesn`t blind me to reality and fall into a blind hissy fit.

All the other 3 have obvious optical differences, just because my own personal favorite didn`t turn out the way I dreamed it would doesn`t make the other 3 {Scrap}.

and that's why I stopped reading your post after the quoted line.

#31 Sephlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,817 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postuser5318, on 13 October 2013 - 01:00 AM, said:

Expecting it to have direwolf geometry?

Why NOT have IS mechs mistaken for Clan mechs ;)?

#32 Farix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 890 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:29 PM

We saw the concept art of both the Phoenix and standard variants. It was clear what limited edition geometry meant from those images. And we still bough the packages.

This topic goes to show that someone will find anything to complain about.

#33 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:31 PM

View Postaniviron, on 12 October 2013 - 11:28 PM, said:

But it's hard to say without seeing. The shoulder ridges, for example, look bigger there, and I would guess that they'd probably be different on the in-game model too. So wait before raising a ruckus.

Not really raising a ruckas but I'm guessing the rest of that wasn't directed at me since I pointed it out but this part is certainly true in that the mech looks a bit different in general. The only major difference between the two concepts however is the arm decoration so it seems unlikely that the standard model will actually change anything else specifically. Same goes for the rest basically.

Either way we have seen the standard hawk already and that was the case. Turned out they were slightly lazier.

#34 -CIBO-

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:23 AM

http://mwo-builds.ne...art-leaked/785/

I mean... what did you expect? Giant *****'s for horns?

#35 GODzillaGSPB

• 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 October 2013 - 01:50 AM

True bulkier geometry on the Phoenix mechs, are you serious, OP?

And who will dry the tears of the Phoenix players who would be stuck with mechs that are EASIER TO HIT than the standard versions?

What a brilliant idea.

(On a sidenote, I think these "rails" are not even solid geometry, PGI would be rather stupid to gimp Phoenix customers like that. I bet the hitboxes of all mechs are the same, safe for some bigger differences like between Hunchback 4G/H/P/J and 4SP, or the different sized boxes on the Catapults.)

#36 Pezzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 616 posts
  • LocationBristol, Tennessee

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostGODzillaGSPB, on 15 October 2013 - 01:50 AM, said:

True bulkier geometry on the Phoenix mechs, are you serious, OP?

And who will dry the tears of the Phoenix players who would be stuck with mechs that are EASIER TO HIT than the standard versions?

What a brilliant idea.

(On a sidenote, I think these "rails" are not even solid geometry, PGI would be rather stupid to gimp Phoenix customers like that. I bet the hitboxes of all mechs are the same, safe for some bigger differences like between Hunchback 4G/H/P/J and 4SP, or the different sized boxes on the Catapults.)

They wouldn't be easier to hit, they would be different. Instead of having a flat, square Thunderbolt, imagine having one with more angles, thus making it harder to hit from the front but easier to hit from the sides.

But the argument is moot anyways, apparently everyone is telling me "Dude, you saw the unfinished artwork they were selling us, you knew what you were possibly buying into. Get over it, you get f***ing rails and nothing more."
Ok, whatever. I was complaining about the lack of imagination and variety that was present in the Mechs I just spent 80$ on. Apparently that isn't reason enough to complain.

I'll see you guys during the Clan Pack release, when all your Timberwolf gets is a dark gray paintjob to match the Moon Map's simultaneous release. I'll be there when you guys complain about how stupid the paintjob is, and how the only difference between the normal Timberwolf and the pre-order one is that the pre-order version gets a different hinge on the arms. *hyperbole and sarcasm intended*

Because that's the argument I'm trying to present here, that the lack of time and effort put into the (P) Mechs is kinda lame. I expected more that a paintjob and some SHOULDER VARIATION, but that's all that I got. :/
The one time the concept art is nearly spot-on...

#37 MrEdweird

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM

They really can't and shouldn't give you much more than this in terms of visual differences lest they become specifically structural, like the arms on the Locust which may block some fire. You should expect that the mechs look much different than what's on the concept art. While I believe that Alex Iglesias is PGI's greatest asset, the game translation is never going to be the same. It goes through a slew of balancing points to be viable, most people don't seem to consider half of which.

And about the Shadow Hawk being larger - look at the Kintaro and then look at the 50-tonners like the Hunchback. There must be something which would work against the Shadow Hawk in battle. It's like people expect to get some sort of edge over other players by getting this package other than the meta content of LP etc...and then complain about pay-to-win.

But that's a different topic, I'm just not sure what more you expected to see? Way I see it, Phoenix would be a great deal even without any visual stuff when considering the rest of the game content.

#38 Karyudo ds

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,706 posts
  • LocationChaos March

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostEdweird, on 15 October 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

You should expect that the mechs look much different than what's on the concept art.

I think his problem was that they didn't. Thinking the geometry was entire placeholder when it turned out to not be for the most part. The none Phoenix shoulders unlike the art do have the rail mounts though interestingly.

I'd only say "get over it" because I didn't even think the Founder mechs were incredibly creative and just given subtle differences as well. In the end these are all just common mechs anyway though.

#39 Ricktor Black

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 74 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:24 AM

There are definitely more differences than just rails. They aren't huge but they are there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users