Higher Than Average Ping.

17 replies to this topic

#1 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:34 PM

So, Monday, and everyday before that since I first started playing towards the beginning of October, my ping has usually sat around a respectable 60ish. Patched Tuesday, restarted computer, and now my ping is rocketing around all over the place. Will start low 60s, mid 70s (rarely was touching 70 at all), and it escalates into the high 300s, and bobs between the two.

Is this common after a patch? If not, are there any tricks that can be used to fix it? (i.e-reinstalling, running as Admin, etc)

#2 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 06:51 PM

how is your ping to say... www.google.com at these times? DSL/CABLE/FIBER?

#3 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:00 PM

Wish I was on Fiber....{scrap} cable provider won't update the cable lines.

As far as pinging Google. Around peak time, I might, *might*, touch as high as 120, but usually in the mid-high 60s.

#4 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:02 PM

so its just happening when playing MWO? No other internet issues or slowness?

#5 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostLictor, on 30 October 2013 - 07:02 PM, said:

so its just happening when playing MWO? No other internet issues or slowness?

MWO is it. Nothing else I use with high data demand is having issues.

Edited by Mercer Skye, 30 October 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#6 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:05 PM

You'd never notice increased ping in any regular internet usage, unless you use a utility to show you the ping like MW:O has by default.

It's likely something to do with the internet between your computer and the MW:O servers.

My ping has not changed a bit since I started playing in the first week of August 2012 (28-40 ms normally, 60-80 ms during peak times).

#7 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 30 October 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

You'd never notice increased ping in any regular internet usage, unless you use a utility to show you the ping like MW:O has by default.

It's likely something to do with the internet between your computer and the MW:O servers.

My ping has not changed a bit since I started playing in the first week of August 2012 (28-40 ms normally, 60-80 ms during peak times).

Maybe this is it. I called the cable provider to send a crew out to check their lines, just to be sure. But regarding keeping track of ping, google has an extension you can plug into Chrome to keep track of all kinds of odd stats. Ping, print out graphs of data usage, make printer friendly history lists.

Of course, I'm a paranoid uncle, so it seemed natural to use stuff like that when my nieces and nephews have an opportunity to sneak onto the computer. That's the only reason I'm thinking it's odd. It's only MWO giving me issues. Even dusted off WoW, Guild Wars, and anything else with relatively high data requirements. None of them were driving my ping any higher than 80 at the worst.

Thanks for the ideas though. Will feel awfully foolish if it's something silly like a squirrel that bit into the line or something, :D

Edited by Mercer Skye, 30 October 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#8 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:39 PM

Do you use a voice program? I know TS3 has a "connection quality" rating on the bottom of the main window that shows your ping (mine averages 40-45 ms for our TS3 server), and the others likely do as well. Maybe monitor that for a while to see if that shows any anomalies.

#9 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:42 PM

[Core i5 2550k @ 4.5ghz, Corsair HD80 Liquid Cooler, 8GB Gskil 7-7-7-21 DDR3 Ram, Kingston Hyper-x 3k 240GB SSD, Raptor 150, 2 x EVGA Geforce GTX 470 1280mb in SLI, CH Products Fighter Stick, CH Products Pro Throttle 52in Sony Bravia LCD]

Wow! Thats fancy! No one cares what kind of set up you have except you.

#10 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:07 PM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 30 October 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

[Core i5 2550k @ 4.5ghz, Corsair HD80 Liquid Cooler, 8GB Gskil 7-7-7-21 DDR3 Ram, Kingston Hyper-x 3k 240GB SSD, Raptor 150, 2 x EVGA Geforce GTX 470 1280mb in SLI, CH Products Fighter Stick, CH Products Pro Throttle 52in Sony Bravia LCD]

Speak for yourself, man. Enthusiasts and builders care. Plus it makes it easier when you post something about performance and people need to know about your rig to answer your questions.

#11 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:43 PM

View PostDurant Carlyle, on 30 October 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Do you use a voice program? I know TS3 has a "connection quality" rating on the bottom of the main window that shows your ping (mine averages 40-45 ms for our TS3 server), and the others likely do as well. Maybe monitor that for a while to see if that shows any anomalies.

I didn't even think to check TS3 ping. Windowed the game and kept an eye on it. It never went past 75. But, I only have the ms you're mentioning to go by. So, hopefully, it is just a bad cable or something that's relatively easy to fix.

#12 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:39 AM

View PostDEMAX51, on 30 October 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

Speak for yourself, man. Enthusiasts and builders care. Plus it makes it easier when you post something about performance and people need to know about your rig to answer your questions.

True, but Mr. Fancy-pants wasnt asking the question. So what difference does it make what kind of set up HE has? None whatsoever. He just wants brag about his 52 inch sony lcd bravia or hopes that by putting that he will attain some sort of gravitas and should be listened to. Its not the equipment that makes one an expert, its the knowledge.

#13 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 07:46 AM

Dude, it's his signature. It's attached to every one of his posts, just like yours. Leave it be.

#14 Lictor

• PipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 95 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostLemming of the BDA, on 30 October 2013 - 08:42 PM, said:

holds up worlds smallest grammaphone. . . can you guess what it is playing. . .

#15 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 04:27 PM

View PostMercer Skye, on 30 October 2013 - 08:22 PM, said:

Maybe this is it. I called the cable provider to send a crew out to check their lines, just to be sure.

And I guarantee you they rolled their eyes as they hung up the phone thinking "Here's another one..."

Your issues will have nothing to do with your cable provider. You would have issues with EVERY internet site and game if that were the case.

They will NOT have "sent out a crew to check lines."

5 yr cable isp internet/network tech here.

#16 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:27 PM

Lemming of the BDA, you get full points for the use of gravitas. (Love that word.) To the OP, if you're using TS, I suddenly noticed that Overwolf has been starting automatically on my computer. With that active, my ping jumps from right around a stable 40 to around 200-300+. If you have big yellow numbers that were never there before while playing MWO, Overwolf is active. Once I turned it off, my ping returned to normal.

#17 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 09:44 AM

Well, whether it is just lip service or not, our provider has told us that we're not the only ones in our area experiencing slower than usual service. (Personally, I chalk it up to the older than dirt cable lines they have still yet to replace). They also had a tree trimming company come through the neighborhood getting excess branches clear of the cable/phone lines. A nick or two in the outer casing allowing water in wouldn't surprise me either if it was causing issues.

And now it's not just MWO, but anything requesting more than 32 kb a second. Played chess....chess of all things and hit a 75ms ping. So, they've actually got a two trucks in our neighborhood (Take that as you will), checking the boxes and all the lines near where trees were being trimmed.

So, hopefully that's the answer, as it's not great, but it's stabilized in the low to mid hundreds.

#18 Unnatural Growth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 01 November 2013 - 02:59 PM

Meh.

Can't troubleshoot the problem without ALL the correct info.

Anything else you forgot to mention?

First post was "it's only MWO."

Now it's "Everything".

Good luck. Hope you get it resolved.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users