- - - - -

A Newbies Opinion

Noob opinion review

17 replies to this topic

#1 eltoro123456

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:10 AM

This will be my first post on this forum.

I dunno if the developpers read feedback on this forum. The best feedback u can get is from a customer in my opinion. Maybe this post helps other people deciding wether to try this game or not.

I am someone who plays World of Tanks all the time. My evenings are spend 3+ hours a day playing that. I came upon this game watching a twitch stream of another tank player that swtiched to this. After that i HAD to give it a try.

At first look Mech Warrior Online looks very much like the other game. U press launch and presto your in a battle.

But before I did that, I had to do the turtorial first. I hoped this would explain me some stuff. It did explain me how to move my Mech, and shot some weapons like a donkey but thats it.

I chose randomly a trial mech and headed in my first battle. I had no clue what to do, so I just followed a bunch of other guys untill they met the enemy and fired something that looked like machine guns and died. Took another trial mech and did the same.

Bassicly I had to figure everything out myself. That there are more weapon groups then the left and right mouse buttons. I still got no clue how to configure them..

The mech lab, classes, research. None of that is explained ingame to a new player. Not a short tour around like u see in some games, no nothing.

I also froze in battle 3 times in my first 20 games. My game can handdle any gfx game of the moment, is this a bad coded client?

The combat itself? Its quiet fun, I managed to get kills in my games, do a little damage. I loss more then I win, buts that likely me being a noob and not helping this team.

I like missiles!! They are so cool! Bwam bwam bwam, boom!

Oh and did I tell you that I discovered after 5 games I got bonus credits and XP because I am a noob?

Pro's for me:
+ Fun Combat
+ Looks strategic where teamwork is needed
+ Combat sounds are nice to me
+ Game looks differentieded enough with fast light mechs, and heavy combat mechs.

Negs:
- Game doesn't try to explain anything
- Turtorial is poor
- The forums are a mess too, way to many sub forums
- No out of battle chat, nowhere to ask help for noobs

After thoughts? After the bonus for noob games end, I prolly have enough cash to buy any mech? What you recommand? a heavy mech to learn combat basics? Or an assault to launch those lovely missiles from? The grind sounds big in this game.

This game has a cash shop like any micro transaction game. My thoughts? With the basic ammount of explanation it isn't likely I spend money on it. Maybe if I really fall in love with it. But more likely I get bored of it soon and quit.

#2 luxebo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:26 AM

Once UI 2.0 and CW are implemented, everything will probably be clarified, but as of now, you should just look around to see how the game goes on youtube (Koniving is a good youtuber to show you around and also in the forums as well), here as mentioned, and mechspecs possibly. UI 2.0 will help by adding lobby, in-game shop, more tutorials/info stuff, etc. Community Warfare will help create a team sense rather than just fighting in arenas all the time like now.

It's up to you on the mechs, but state what gameplay tactics you like and then we can help you there. Do you want to be a brawler, sniper, fire support, scout, etc.

#3 42and19

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 197 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 10:49 AM

This is one of the biggest failures on the part of MWO, bringing in new players.

Yea, I completely agree, it's a game with a high learning curve and no real explanation of a lot of the mechanics that drive combat. There are some beginner tutorials in this forum here stickied at the top that you should read, but I will sum up some important things for a new player for you in case you suffer from TLDR syndrome

1) Target with R
-------This is vital as it sends information on enemy location and loadout to other teamates. Players can only target enemies that either they or another team mate has line of sight on. This is highly important for people using lrms (Long Range Missiles)

2) Weapons groups are changed by using the arrow keys next to the numpad to move up, down left and right along the weapon list/group screen in the bottom right hand corner and by using the RIGHT control button to toggle the weapon active or inactive on the weapon group.

3) mechs are classified into 4 weight classes. Lights, mediums, heavies, and Assaults. The trial mechs are always assorted from lightest to heaviest, left to right.

4) If you choose to be a light pilot beware, you are extremely fragile, Don't ever stop moving. I see a lot of people in lights that will pause to line up shots which is an excellent time for me to one shot them with my AC/20

5) Mediums are similar to lights in that you need to keep moving. It's also vital that mediums stick with the group, by themselves they do not have the firepower or maneuverability to stay alive on their own.

6) Heavies and assault play somewhat similar. Try not to be the constant focus of fire and turn your torso to spread the damage. If you have taken a large amount of damage try to pull back behind the team so someone else becomes a target. Just because you have lost most your armor doesn't mean you still can't deal damage. I've had matches in my victor where I have ended with 24% health and dealt over 1k damage because I pulled back at the right time.

Here are direct links to some helpful threads for new players (Coming as soon as I change a diaper)

#4 PlzDie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

Just a question is this your alternate account? If not how did you manage to become a member at 18:35 install the game, play 20 matches and post this thread at 19:10, you did all this in 35 minutes.

#5 HybridTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 281 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:05 AM

There are a large number of players in this community who are very helpful and will be willing to guide and teach you bits and pieces. I've been playing here for over a year and I can honestly say that there are a greater number of good people than annoying, and by in large I have had a very positive experience both with the game itself and it's community.

From a new players perspective however, especially someone who has never played a Mechwarrior game in their life, much work is left to be done. For me it was somewhat easy since I played older Mechwarrior games in the past and they share some commonalities. (Control scheme, weapons, mechs etc). My best suggestion would be to get onto Team Speak and get into the open North American server and try dropping in with some more experienced players. They can help coach you more on weapons, loadouts etc.

As far as which mech to buy first? If you like missiles I'd suggest a Heavy or Assault platform. Heavy is a bit softer as far as damage you can take, and won't carry as many missiles. Assaults can take a pounding and more weapons, but your threat level is also higher making you a higher priority target for the enemy (in most cases anyway.)

If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a message here or check out www.blackthornes.com. It is a Merc Corps that I run with and we are made up of experienced and newbie players alike. I wouldn't call us super hard core or anything... just a bunch of guys having some fun blowing stuff up :D

#6 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 12:19 PM

View PostDuppie1974, on 13 October 2013 - 11:05 AM, said:

Just a question is this your alternate account? If not how did you manage to become a member at 18:35 install the game, play 20 matches and post this thread at 19:10, you did all this in 35 minutes.

Probably flying through the matches, like getting killed early in every match and disconnect into another. That being said, I doubt he actually played 20 games in that time if he actually froze 3 full times. I think just an approximation or estimate.

To the OP, if you don't know about what class you want to play, as this class will last for a while, since you mentioned you like missiles, (I assume SRMs as the Cent has them and I dunno if you know R for LRMs) Hunchies or Cents are solid choices, especially Cents for the missiles. Maybe describe your feeling on the trials? I like all trials (even the ones from the past without the good loadouts or non Champs.) They can all do what they should do unless utterly crappy (any stock spider, that flamer blackjack, etc.) Hope I helped in both posts.

#7 Arnold J Rimmer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

Didn't see it mentioned yet outside your OP, so I'll add this:

You get a Cadet Bonus for your first 25 matches. Might be a little late, but you can also redeem a day's Premium Time from the download page to boost your earnings by 50% - which makes the ~8million bonus ~12million (assuming you activate it at the start of your 25 matches).

With that, you will have enough to purchase just about any mech in the game, but be warned that you won't have much money to change stock loadouts if you choose an Assault first. Double Heat Sinks are all but required, and always cost another 1.5million on top of the chassis (unless you stumble across that rare variant that already has them).

#8 eltoro123456

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 03:23 PM

I dunno what u all talking about about my account creation date,the account was created 3 days ago.

Thx for the tips all.

#9 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:00 PM

View Posteltoro123456, on 13 October 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

I dunno what u all talking about about my account creation date,the account was created 3 days ago.

It says your account was created about 7.5 hours before this post.

Maybe new players don't become Members of the forum until after their first 25 matches. *shrug*

#10 Aym

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:07 PM

I remember playing, and not liking, WoT when it was new, and being at least as confused about the in-game mechanics, UI, and so on as I was about MWO, but I do wish MWO had better tutorials since it IS confusing and difficult to learn.

#11 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

No, I think it's because he played through the matches and then came to the forums and edited forum profile and stuff. That might explain why I can't even see some of my friends accounts on the forums even though they mastered at least a few chassis already.

Edit: And new players have the 'Recruit' thing on their heads (limit of 5 posts a day until playing 25 matches of Cadet Bonus.)

Edited by luxebo, 13 October 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#12 Sadistic Savior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

View Posteltoro123456, on 13 October 2013 - 10:10 AM, said:

Bassicly I had to figure everything out myself. That there are more weapon groups then the left and right mouse buttons. I still got no clue how to configure them..

You can only do it while in-game. Use the arrow keys to select the weapon and group, and the control key to activate or deactivate it for that group. The game will remember your config so you only need to do it once. Unless you change the weapons on your mech.

- The forums are a mess too, way to many sub forums

The DEVs do not like vocal criticism of their game. That is why they made so many sub-forms. So that there is no central place for people to complain.

After thoughts? After the bonus for noob games end, I prolly have enough cash to buy any mech? What you recommand? a heavy mech to learn combat basics? Or an assault to launch those lovely missiles from? The grind sounds big in this game.

If you like Missiles, I would start with a catapult or a missile-variant of the Jager. The Stalker also makes a good missile platform. Make sure you look at the hardpoints of any mech you plan on buying so you know what you can equip to it. There are no mechs that are better than other in this game...the best mech depends on your playstyle. Since you like missiles, I'd recommend these.

The Grind is not that big a deal, but if it really bugs you, there is the option of bypassing it by paying money.

This game has a cash shop like any micro transaction game. My thoughts? With the basic ammount of explanation it isn't likely I spend money on it. Maybe if I really fall in love with it. But more likely I get bored of it soon and quit.

The cash shop is just vanity items and ways of bypassing the grind. There is no way to buy weapons that do more damage, or mechs that hold more ammo, or engines that move faster. Nothing that will give you an advantage that you could not also get via grind with CBills.

Edited by Sadistic Savior, 13 October 2013 - 05:08 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 06:03 PM

Forum names do not get "created" on the same day you make the account, but the first time you click forums or profile with your account on the webpage.

Example, it says my member since is the 27th of May, 2012. I signed up in January 2012. I first played on May 13th, 2012. I did not first look at the forums until the 27th when I went to report an issue with a weapon.

Edited by Koniving, 13 October 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 14 October 2013 - 02:06 PM

View PostKoniving, on 13 October 2013 - 06:03 PM, said:

Forum names do not get "created" on the same day you make the account, but the first time you click forums or profile with your account on the webpage.

Example, it says my member since is the 27th of May, 2012. I signed up in January 2012. I first played on May 13th, 2012. I did not first look at the forums until the 27th when I went to report an issue with a weapon.

Makes me whish I could remember when I actually started playing ;)
On the other hand my friend Xabidar played 3 matches back in open beta, and as far as I know has not been to the forums either, yet he is listed....?

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:34 PM

Dunno. o.O;

#16 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

OP, thank you for your feedback. The devs need to see sensibly stated honest feedback like this so they can make correct decisions about where to put their resources. I wish we had more players like you.

#17 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:00 PM

I play WOT A LOT!!! [RDDT4] by the way.

Any way I came across this game much in the same way you did. From what I have learned since April is there are a few things that will help you immensely.

1. Always follow the other pugs.

By doing so you get help with taking down enemy mechs faster and you get some cover.

2. If you aint in an assault then don't lead the pack.

Basically none of the other mechs classes have enough armour to turn a corner in the lead position of a push (much like a heavy tank).

3. Play what is broken while you still can.

Lastly, MWO is pretty bad at fixing some of the broken issues of the game, and as for many players out there loads of them use these to your advantage. So unless you want to be raging at the machine when really it is PGI's fault just go use the same thing. (Yeah the idea of give everyone the OP and see who is still better.)

Current broken mech is spider, go use it ... PGI has yet to figure out how to get the lagy hit boxes in order (it works on most lights going over 150 kph but spider some reason is better at breaking the rules).

Hope this helps.

#18 Morlo

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

I guess it is slow but worth it. They still need to sort some bugs but don't forget the beta has only just finished so hopefully all will improve over next few patches. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users