Hbk-4G With Ua/c-5

12 replies to this topic

#1 Porthos49

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:07 PM

Hey everybody, I had an idea for a Hunchie and threw it together in Smurfies:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...70019505110f01b

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas/suggestions as to setup and use, and whether or not this would be a useful build. I designed it to be used with a macro to prevent jamming, and provide continuous fire from the UAC at about a round per second.
Anyways, input would be greatly appreciated!

#2 StoneGullet

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSt. Petersburg, FL

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:13 PM

Porthos there is a forum section for this. It is in the Battlemech guide section. There is a lot of good info in there.

#3 Porthos49

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

Okay thanks.

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:30 PM

But we help New Players here so...

3 tons of ammo per UAC5 is plenty. 1 UAC5 is horrible. XL Engines are NEVER used in Hunchbacks EVER. The rear of the hunch on a Hunchback is very small only put 2 to 4 armor on it. Way too many Heat Sinks. Ammo in all the wrong spots.

Select All > Delete

HBK-4G Better

#5 Porthos49

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:48 PM

And what would you advise in terms of playstyle?

#6 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:53 PM

Terrain is your friend. You want to hit the edges of the fight, do damage, and move on. Never slow down. Your job is to kill mediums and shoot heavies/assaults in the back when they are engaged with other teammates. If you're face to face with anything that outguns you, outmaneuver them and break off.

#7 scJazz

• 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:54 PM

Mid range skirmisher... follow the Atlas punish what he is shooting. 2 weapon groups AC10 and Head ML/ 2 arm ML. Yeah you will waste shots with the Head ML but not really going to matter. Leaves the arm MLs free for no arm lock.

#8 Mycrus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,160 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationFilipino @ Singapore

Posted 12 October 2013 - 08:55 PM

not sure new players can post into the other sections, so posting here is cool

#9 Ovurdose

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 05:07 AM

Interesting.

#10 Kitane

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationPrague, Czech Republic

Posted 13 October 2013 - 07:03 AM

There's one thing to consider when using mechs with vulnerabilities like Hunchback (people learn to aim for that hunch and if you are not careful, you can lose it in seconds).

You don't want to stay in the enemy's line of fire any longer than absolutely necessary. That makes a huge case for using high alpha weapons with slower recycle rate, because you can pop, fire and immediately pull back to cover.

UAC5, AC2s and AC5s are sustained damage over time weapons. In theory they have a comparable DPS to heavy hitters like AC10 or AC20, but they require you to keep firing and keep being exposed to enemy fire. If you try to limit your exposure to enemy fire, your damage output will be noticeably lower.

Sustained DPS weapons on a mech like Hunchback are very risky, you could even say they hamper your mech.

You can put them together, you can use them effectively. But the unchangeable fact remains that you have to expose yourself more often and thus risk being disarmed more quickly.

XL engine in Hunchback is possible. It's not a great choice, it's not usually a smart choice. You usually lose your side torso before CT and you can't install a fast XL engine to make up for vulnerability with greater speed. But it is possible and there are some builds that can work with XL engine. But you will generally get more out of Hunchback with STD engines. The LRM builds are fine with XL, no worries there.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 08:23 AM

View PostKitane, on 13 October 2013 - 07:03 AM, said:

XL engine in Hunchback is possible. It's not a great choice, it's not usually a smart choice. You usually lose your side torso before CT and you can't install a fast XL engine to make up for vulnerability with greater speed. But it is possible and there are some builds that can work with XL engine. But you will generally get more out of Hunchback with STD engines. The LRM builds are fine with XL, no worries there.

To get away with this, right torso armor 46 front, 2 rear. LT's a matter of choice. Note that the "tank" on the left torso counts as rear torso and can be hit in the front.

----------

View PostPorthos49, on 12 October 2013 - 07:07 PM, said:

Hey everybody, I had an idea for a Hunchie and threw it together in Smurfies:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...70019505110f01b

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas/suggestions as to setup and use, and whether or not this would be a useful build. I designed it to be used with a macro to prevent jamming, and provide continuous fire from the UAC at about a round per second.
Anyways, input would be greatly appreciated!

If you're going to use a UAC/5, it's always better to have two or an alternative ballistic on the side. http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a39bef847bb5e2 Try this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e1c4d5386a61055
Or more efficient, try this. You can also use your XL engine in it to make it even better and faster.

Matter of fact: I decided on the next rig I'll be trying on a 4G. UAC/5 + AC/5 + SPL + 2 SL (backups).

Also don't get discouraged from XL engines, with the right armor configuration to match the hitbox's quirks, a Hunch can do incredible stuff. This camera was following me when I did 7 kills and 700+ damage with a shotgun, twin MGs, and 3 SPL.

Just... Never. Stand. Still. Ever.

Edited by Koniving, 13 October 2013 - 08:34 AM.

#12 Losobal

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:34 PM

For giggles I run with an LBX, 2 MGs and 3 ML, think I've got a 280 engine in it. I use it as a close-mid range puncher, while the LBX has range, I rarely use it beyond the ranges of the MGs/MLs

#13 Enialis

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 24 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 14 October 2013 - 04:15 PM

Other thing about XL's in a Hunch is that you're not gaining a lot (either in speed or firepower) in the deal. The Hunchback maxes at 275 engine rating, so it's not like you can switch out the STD for a huge XL (like you can in a Kintaro or Dragon for instance). There are plenty of great builds with the standard engine as it is.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users