• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,644 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:58 PM

We're talking about this mech, right:
Posted Image

Warning, Closed Beta skin nostalgia coming:
Posted Image

Edited by MustrumRidcully, 13 October 2013 - 11:59 PM.

#42 Dago Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 672 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 14 October 2013 - 12:07 AM

View PostPOWR, on 13 October 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

STUFF

Yeah no one has ever accused me of putting practicality ahead of my own fun in a game.

#43 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:20 AM

Man, why do I always like the underdog mechs (the Hunchs and Catapults) LOL.

Just switched my Hunch 4G to 2 A/C5s and 3MLasers. I have an XL engine in it (yes *gasp* I said XL for 80+ kph goodness), and it is a monster. Last night was the first time I hit 800+ damage with a Medium (got 4 kills that game too). My Hunch 4P Swayback is also a brutal (especially since I have been really good about heat management).

Like I always say though, I am glad it is underrated, ignore it on the field, your funeral :ph34r:

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 14 October 2013 - 08:20 AM.

#44 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 14 October 2013 - 08:36 AM

View PostPOWR, on 13 October 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Yep. After whatever it is that made SRMs weird, I have been playing my 4P a bunch more, and with the upped hit registration, lasers are now deadly as hell :ph34r: tweaked things a bit, and will have to do some more tweaking to it, maybe install that 275 engine, and actually get around to buying some of those nice modules that I never seem to really have enough C-Bills to spend on. If I manage to not act greedy or foolish and hang back, hogging cover, always presenting the left side to any incoming fire.. man, those 30 pinpoint damage really carve up targets. I love the "parking basement" location on Crimson Strait. Hide behind those pillars, no problem :D

My 4SP has been retrofitted with a 275 and a AMS with 1 ton of ammo. Have been considering dropping that and half a ton of armor for a Artemis, since it seems Art has become rather more useful than it once was.

The other mediums are way too big, really, compared to the HBK. But yeah, piloting the HBK is great fun, but you're probably kinda crazy for doing it.

I always ran artemis in my 4SP, it tightened up the missile spread enough to make those six shooters sing.

#45 GioAvanti

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostNo Guts No Glory, on 13 October 2013 - 04:35 PM, said:

coughcoughquickdrawisaheavycoughcough

It's not that far off the mark..... I'll say this again... lights are actually too small. Centurian is a little too big and a hunchie is actually about right (it's a squat stubble mech). It really should be just a little taller than the thin Spider.

#46 Ser Barristan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationWesteros

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:55 AM

HBKs can be rewarding if you don't mind having zero margin for error, getting mauled occasionally and a touch of madness. Let's face it, the minute you get focused on you're going to be slagged. That said, in the general furball a good HBK driver who takes care not to be singled out can really clean up. The chassis is capable of soloing heavy and assault mechs so long as your piloting skills are up to the challenge. You're at a disadvantage sure, but not an insurmountable one and that's really the joy of the HBK.

If you have the right temperament to be an HBK jockey when you top the post battle charts at the end of a match it easily makes up for those times you got pig piled early.

In the words of Red:
"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos!"

#47 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 14 October 2013 - 11:56 AM

The key to playing a hunchback is to learn to launch sneakattacks and stay out of harms way. Your rediculous torso twist makes targeting easy and protecting your hunch while you run for cover is hardly impossible. It's a poor mech in open or hilly long range envoriments simple as that but in urban or other close quarters scenarios with plenty of cover and quick firing windows the AC20+3ML Alpha is great for a 50 ton mech.

The lack of weight limits really screw with the hunchback because it's disadvantages are too many compared to that of a Jagermech.

Do:

*Aim for atleast 80kph with speedtweak on AC20 builds.

*Twist like no tomorrow, when in doubt dont even round a corner with your hunch exposed. Keep the ******* AC20 safe.

*Bring 4 tons of AC20 ammo at a minimum. Don't strip your legs too much. never go below 31 points imo.

Don't:

*Fit a Gauss rifle, 2x AC5 is much better if you just wanna play at long range for a game or two

*Play peek a boo with a line of enemy mechs, even when several teammates are with you. Snipers will single you out and throw volleys on your RT.

*Buy a 4J

Edited by MisterPlanetarian, 14 October 2013 - 12:05 PM.

#48 Starmage21

• PipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 14 October 2013 - 07:25 PM

I put 2 ERPPC on my 4G to troll the {Scrap} out of people going for that hunch.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fed73e40353a04b

#49 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:11 AM

View PostCancersCincar, on 13 October 2013 - 04:20 PM, said:

Well no worries, all the medium mechs they put out these days are huge, so i wouldn't worry about having to deal with any mediums with extra durability from size.

Precisely! All new mediums are laughably oversized, so that'll prevent folks from using them.

Enjoy the Hunch - it's about the only medium that's not a grossly oversized target.

#50 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:15 AM

View PostMisterPlanetarian, on 14 October 2013 - 11:56 AM, said:

The key to playing a hunchback is to learn to launch sneakattacks and stay out of harms way...

Yea, basically, although I think you could say the same for any Medium mech.

Use a Medium's quick speed and descent firepower to hit and fade. If you are tanking with a Medium, you are doing it wrong.

#51 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostRoland, on 13 October 2013 - 08:08 PM, said:

Hunchbacks are killing your assault mech?
That is hilariously awesome.

Well, if those Hunchbacks are like me, I'll target an assault mech and if their torso has no armor, well, you are gonna eat 3ML and an AC/20 there. Good luck if you survive.

#52 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:48 AM

View PostMcchuggernaut, on 13 October 2013 - 03:54 PM, said:

I have a new least-favorite mech to fight: the Hunchback. I usually pilot assault mechs, and would rather fight Spiders or Jenners any day. For a while I couldn't figure out why these little guys are so ridiculously tough. Then I looked at their tonnage, and to my surprise they have as much armor and tonnage as a Centurion, and we know how zombie-tough those things are. So it appears to me that they took a Cent, squashed it down to half the size to fool you into thinking it is a light, also making the hitboxes smaller and harder to pinpoint, and making it harder to hit in general.

What makes the Centurion tough is unique to the Centurion and doesn't apply to the Hunchback. When you shoot a destroyed component, only 50% of the damage transfers inward to the next component. The Centurion just happens to have exceptionally large arm debris left over after you destroy the arm. In fact it looks just like side torso, so people often hit it instead of the side torso resulting in doing only 50% damage to the side torso.

#53 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 15 October 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostJman5, on 15 October 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

What makes the Centurion tough is unique to the Centurion and doesn't apply to the Hunchback. When you shoot a destroyed component, only 50% of the damage transfers inward to the next component. The Centurion just happens to have exceptionally large arm debris left over after you destroy the arm. In fact it looks just like side torso, so people often hit it instead of the side torso resulting in doing only 50% damage to the side torso.

http://cloud-2.steam...DB809488AD37D7/

Red = CT/RT/LT

Notice large arm debris, hehe.

Edited by Ngamok, 15 October 2013 - 10:58 AM.

#54 Bagheera

• 3,920 posts
  • LocationStrong and Pretty

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 13 October 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

Warning, Closed Beta skin nostalgia coming:
Posted Image

WTB that skin. Will pay MC to get it back.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users