Marauder's Out Of The Question, What's Next?

58 replies to this topic

#1 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

So, despite the fact that Russ and Bryan would want to put the Marauder in game, they can't due to Harmony Gold and their legal team, but what would you guys think if they decided to make a mech, lets call it the "Raider" make it 75 tons, give the stock variant 2xPPC 2xMLas and an AC/5, make it look like a Mad Cat/Timber Wolf but some small changes and without the missile packs, well actually change one to the AC/5.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this in the game?

Edited by HugoStiglitz, 11 October 2013 - 05:16 PM.

#2 LauLiao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:44 PM

If they make it look like a timber wolf without the missle racks then it's just gonna look like a marauder without the top-mounted AC/5 which would still be problematic. Otherwise, why not just use a different Canon 75-tonner with twin PPCs instead of "inventing" a whole new design?

#3 Gaan Cathal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:45 PM

I'm fairly sure Joseph Mallan already runs a Ghetto Marauder, I'm guessing on a 'Phract or Orion. Why not do that if you just want the build? They've already more or less stated that Reesen are more trouble than it's worth.

#4 Igorius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 215 posts
  • LocationA place beyond your dreams

Posted 11 October 2013 - 01:51 PM

View PostGaan Cathal, on 11 October 2013 - 01:45 PM, said:

They've already more or less stated that Reesen are more trouble than it's worth.

This. Plus, there are plenty of other canon 'Mechs available to choose from (within the 4th SW / Clan Invasion time frame), many of which are arguably better designs than the unseen. HG are too 'good' when it comes to legislating on the unseen, and I fear that anything newly created that even smells like an unseen design will call down the fire.

#5 Bhael Fire

Banned - Cheating

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,002 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThe Outback wastes of planet Outreach.

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

I just want a mech called the Marauder.

I know Russ says that HG will vote down any redesign, but I think they could work something out considering that the BT IP holds more legal weight with regard to the name Marauder.

The Marauder must happen. It simply must.

#6 James The Fox Dixon

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,572 posts
  • LocationEpsilon Indi

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostHugoStiglitz, on 11 October 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

So, despite the fact that Russ and Bryan would want to put the Marauder in game, they can't due to Harmony Gold and their legal team, but what would you guys think if they decided to make a mech, lets call it the "Raider" make it 75 tons, give the stock variant 2xPPC 2xMLas and an AC/5, make it look like a Mad Cat/Timber Wolf but some small changes and without the missile packs, well actually change one to the AC/5.

What do you guys think? Would you like to see this in the game?

The only thing stopping the Marauder is the art. However, there is nothing stopping MWO from putting in a Marauder into the game and given how Alex enjoys altering the design to fit his vision the new version of the Marauder wouldn't look like the Glaug. In the US, the difference must be at least 75%, so the general shape could remain the same while the details will differ.

Edited by James The Fox Dixon, 11 October 2013 - 02:51 PM.

#7 Sug

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 4,627 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 11 October 2013 - 02:54 PM

I read "Marauder's out" as if it was revealed that pgi came out with a marauder design. Very disappointing.

#8 Noth

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 4,762 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostJames The Fox Dixon, on 11 October 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

The only thing stopping the Marauder is the art. However, there is nothing stopping MWO from putting in a Marauder into the game and given how Alex enjoys altering the design to fit his vision the new version of the Marauder wouldn't look like the Glaug. In the US, the difference must be at least 75%, so the general shape could remain the same while the details will differ.

I don't think the issue really lies with redesigning it. I think it more lies with the fact that Harmony Gold would likely raise a case no matter what (unless not resembling it at all). This would simply drain money away from PGI and hurt the game because of it.

#9 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

View PostSug, on 11 October 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

I read "Marauder's out" as if it was revealed that pgi came out with a marauder design. Very disappointing.

Ditto.

Also, on a related note, there's already a Storm Raider (which could be argued to be "too close" in name) and a Pillager (which would be the next suggestion after 'Raider'). Sorry.

#10 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

i have idea lets all raid HG and send them to space then steal the rights the plans cool huh :blink: ?

#11 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:20 PM

View PostNoth, on 11 October 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

I don't think the issue really lies with redesigning it. I think it more lies with the fact that Harmony Gold would likely raise a case no matter what (unless not resembling it at all). This would simply drain money away from PGI and hurt the game because of it.

This is exactly the issue. It won't matter if PGI does something different with the artwork- HG will litigate because stupid lawsuits cost money to defend against. Thus, HG wants to file a lawsuit so that PGI/IGP will make a cost analysis and decided that simply settling with HG would cost less than fighting the suit- which would give HG some, basically, free money. The cost of fighting the lawsuit, whether a legitimate suit or not, would not be worth it to PGI/IGP because of the drain it would put on their finances. That sort of legal {Scrap} is the reason companies like HG are still in business- it's not like they've done much for the past twenty years.

#12 Steel Talon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:44 PM

View PostIgorius, on 11 October 2013 - 01:51 PM, said:

This. Plus, there are plenty of other canon 'Mechs available to choose from (within the 4th SW / Clan Invasion time frame), many of which are arguably better designs than the unseen. HG are too 'good' when it comes to legislating on the unseen, and I fear that anything newly created that even smells like an unseen design will call down the fire.

Canon or new, what is actual difference?
99% are dated old designs that wont fit into MWO & must be redesigned from scratch anyway.
HG cant license mech builds (hardpoints/stats), if PGI makes "logical" copy marauder with different look & name, HG will have nothing.
Under BT rules, any1 can "imitate" marauder with any other 75 ton heavy, unless HG licensed 75 ton heavies.

Edited by Steel Talon, 11 October 2013 - 03:44 PM.

#13 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:52 PM

It really isn't that hard to get around this whole thing, its how much it freaking looks like the mechs from Robotech that causes the stink. Literally some of the stuff was like a total copy of Macross stuff.

#14 Lord Ikka

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,255 posts
  • LocationGreeley, CO

Posted 11 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

View Posttib3r, on 11 October 2013 - 03:52 PM, said:

It really isn't that hard to get around this whole thing, its how much it freaking looks like the mechs from Robotech that causes the stink. Literally some of the stuff was like a total copy of Macross stuff.

You do know that Robotech was the US-branded version of Macross right? --> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech

#15 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Fully aware, but there are reseen versions of all the unseen mechs.

The whole LAM thing will never happen I can almost guarantee it.

#16 HugoStiglitz

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 05:20 PM

View PostLauLiao, on 11 October 2013 - 01:44 PM, said:

Otherwise, why not just use a different Canon 75-tonner with twin PPCs instead of "inventing" a whole new design?

What I was trying to hint at was, why not make the Marauder with a redesign like Alex has done with the other mechs but just not call it the Marauder, since from the looks of it that the reason why HG is able to shoot down the redesigns, if they call it a "Raider" or whatever, HG would not be able to have a say in it, if it looks different enough (which if you look at Alex's other work, he could make it work).

View PostSug, on 11 October 2013 - 02:54 PM, said:

Sorry about that. Wasn't thinking when naming the thread but I changed the name to something more fitting and less confusing.

View PostVolthorne, on 11 October 2013 - 03:10 PM, said:

Ditto.

Also, on a related note, there's already a Storm Raider (which could be argued to be "too close" in name) and a Pillager (which would be the next suggestion after 'Raider'). Sorry.

There are also about 5 different "*adjective* Cat" mechs, I don't think just plain "Raider" would be to bad, but hey they can name it whatever they want.

View PostCementblade, on 11 October 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

i have idea lets all raid HG and send them to space then steal the rights the plans cool huh :blink: ?

I'm game, so long as we can bring lots of explosives to raise them to the ground instead of just stealing the rights.

Edited by HugoStiglitz, 11 October 2013 - 05:23 PM.

#17 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

all they really have to do is create a new mech with a new aesthetic design and the same loadouts. I'd be happy with that. It's not perfect but it would be better than nothing

#18 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:01 PM

would this work? the Catapact IS a kitbashed marauder, and I am going after it's redesign

Posted Image

http://www.sarna.net...5t_marauder.png

Edited by gavilatius, 11 October 2013 - 07:03 PM.

#19 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:22 PM

View Postgavilatius, on 11 October 2013 - 07:01 PM, said:

would this work? the Catapact IS a kitbashed marauder, and I am going after it's redesign

Posted Image

http://www.sarna.net...5t_marauder.png

that would work for me. They could actually use it to their advantage and make a ig hoopla about it. the first original design for MWO. I just wouldn't want to see a habit of it and only used for those mechs that they can't get a legal license to replicate

#20 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 11 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

the center torso looks a little bulky, the marauder was always kinda spindly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users