166 replies to this topic

#141 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 10 June 2014 - 05:35 AM

After a weeks of frustration with the 2H I reverted it back to the first build that made me really love it.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a78a28a5675c852

Fast and deadly with something for every range.

#142 Koniks

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:58 AM

I've been running a fast hit-and-run brawler with XL300 4xSRM4, 1xAC10 build on the 2D2. I'm thinking of trading in the speed for durability with something like this: 3xSRM4, 1xAC10, STD250. SHD-2H.

I'm also wondering if a UAC5, 2xERLL, 1xSRM4 build like this might be good now that Clan weapons are extending the range of engagement. SHD-2D

ETA: bought a 2D to test that build. Runs too hot without getting through the Elite Efficiencies. I'll let you know in another 25-50 matches.

Edited by Mizeur, 17 July 2014 - 07:04 AM.

#143 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b446cd74abc3943

what about that for a UAC5 and 2xERLL? I've got a command console and erLLas from before, so I just need to save up for the 5M and buy it. figured it was a good idea since it comes with an XL engine endo and DHS. btw, can shadowhawks pack on the command console? if not i'll add in another ton of ammo and 2 more heat sinks...

#144 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

Any mech can use the command console the last that I have heard. Not a bad choice with 2 ERLLs and UAC. I run mine with 2 LL and an AC10 which if you do not like the command console you can easily fit in. 4 tons of UAC5 ammo is a bit much giving you 120 shots. It is better to drop to 3 tons if you use it a lot and max your armor out, or if you shoot less then 2 tons ammo (60 shots) and AMS (really helps with Clan LRMS but at 1/2 ton is way to little so up to you). The other thing is that with the new fall damage mechanic and that you are using a Shadowhawk, people are going to be targeting your legs first. Max out the armor there (take from the head or left arm since very few are skilled enough to get a headshot with a moving mech and better to lose a shield arm than a leg) move the ammo towards the torso (sucks to die because your leg was destroyed when you can still fight otherwise) since most times your internal structure and UAC will go before your ammo does. Also go much heavier on the frontal armor than rear; better to face your enemies and have a few extra seconds to hurt them than having to run away not shooting back (plus there is reverse and maybe they will think twice before trying to kill you when you are shooting them).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...80d1e197065aacc (75 shots with an extra JJ for more mobility)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...047663e719eec75 (60 shots with AMS w/ 1ton ammo and a little less armor on the L-arm and head)

P.S. ERLLs will run very hot, even chain firing, and you may want to switch to LLs if you find yourself overheating or difficulty maintaining DPS in brawls.

#145 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74bf27eceedcb9d

is what i'm running right now. 2 erLLas was a) too hot and :) not Nearly fast in cooling down to brawl. i got smashed by a light mech with One MPL... so i had to change it to mpl myself. I thought about going 2x MPL

#146 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

View PostAlianton, on 25 July 2014 - 03:17 PM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...74bf27eceedcb9d

is what i'm running right now. 2 erLLas was a) too hot and ;) not Nearly fast in cooling down to brawl. i got smashed by a light mech with One MPL... so i had to change it to mpl myself. I thought about going 2x MPL

For me, IS UAC5s suck when just by themselves. The problem that I have with MPLs is that their range is only 220/440 so by the time that you close the distance to shoot it, you will be already torn up and not going to contribute much. This is especially true with the Clans. Better to go down to LLs from the ERs so that you lose 3 heat when you shoot (7 vs 8.5). By dumping the extra DHS (only adds 0.7/0.77 heat per second dissipation and 7.7 heat cap) and 2 tons of you can fit in a AC10 or LBX10 (never jams) with 45 shots.

Granted this setup runs hotter but it allows you to stay at 300-400 meter range, where you can have more time to cool off and dodge shots, which will give you more time alive. More time alive means higher damage output and greater impacts for your team (more wins). It also lets you twist away so that you can use that shield arm effectively instead of having to face your enemy more to get the damage output of the UAC5 to be worthwhile. I am betting that you die most times to CT loss or that you lose your legs a lot. So you will want to beef up the leg armor at the let arm's cost, switch to a bigger AC (better to be more accurate with harder hitting shots than to spray less damaging shots, it is why the AC2 sucks), and maybe add a JJ or 2 (to clear the canyon on Canyon Network.

By now you are bound to have 2 LLs and an AC10 lying around so try this build out http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2fed281d3e3c902 and see if you like it better. If not tweak it until it fits you. Go really heavy on the front armor leaving only 4-6 points for the rear (do not let the enemy flank you) and pull armor from the head and left arm, not your legs since people are aiming there and you are naturally taking damage there while walking. Ammo in the legs is a bad habit now causing premature deaths and loss of firepower. 9.9 times out of 10 I die due to a CT or ST loss instead of an ammo explosion. Besides you want to "pad" your torso in hopes that other things take damage than your internal structure buying you more time to A) deal damage or b ) be a target so that your teammate can damage/kill the enemy. If you want more of a brawler that runs cooler then try this http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d580dc5ac59dc3.

Good hunting

Edited by FireSlade, 26 July 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#147 FireKiller87

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:01 PM

Although I'm still new and only drive heavies thus far, I came up with these:
SHD-2D2
While it doesn't have any energy, I personally prefer to use missiles anyway. AC/10 w/4T ammo for power hits, 3x LRM 5 w/3T ammo as secondary weapons. 2x JJs, XL 300, 11DHS. Overheating will never be a problem with this Shadowhawk and you can use both arms as twist shields.

SHD-2D2
Drops the LRMs for 3x SRM 2 and an ERLLas which gives this Shadowhawk more flexibility in engagement ranges, as well as much more short-range punch. At long range it'll still never overheat, and pairing the laser with the AC/10 still runs cool so most of the heat capacity can be saved for when you really need that quick damage blast at close range, hitting ~32 damage with all weapons. Same mobility layout as above, slightly less leg and left arm armor in exchange for more right arm armor to protect the laser.

#148 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:29 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1dfe2e54e00108e

is my current 5M build. as long as there aren't too many lights nearby, and if my teamis decent i do around 500++ per match. the double AC5s are fun and the MPLs are for nearby stuff.

while i'm planning on making this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7976084d5d5bd86

as my 2K build for when i start playing again. (since i already have the xl275 from my 5M)

Then I will round off my eliting of shadowhawks with

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...af92a9505cc70de

#149 LiGhtningFF13

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationBetween the Flannagan's Nebulea and the Pleiades Cluster

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:33 PM

Sorry but I run this Medium with 1xPPC and 2xAC5. Still very effective!

#150 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:34 AM

2 - AC2
1 - LBX10
3 tons of ammo for each.
XL235, 1 ext DHS, 2JJ's.

SHD-2H The Wash Basin

#151 Golrar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 359 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:29 PM

Just wanted to chime in with a weird build I used for the recent Steiner challenge. Very unconventional, but it got me my 20 kills rather quickly. Not something I'd use everyday, but it was fun.

XL285, PPC, 3xLRM5 SHD-5H(P)

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0bbbf1cc5c31346

#152 FindersWeepers

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the CIA

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:24 AM

View PostAgentGG, on 15 October 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

After playing the shadowhawk for 8 straight hours I've landed on a build that routinely gets me over 500 damage and I peaked at 970 one round.

Smurfy Link

Overview of Setup:

Endosteel
3 Jumpjets
10 Double heatsinks
XL 300

3 SSRMS2 + 2 tons ammo
1 Med Pulse
AC10 + 4 tons of ammo

I fire my AC10 as much as I can, mixing in steaks and pulse when in range. When I'm accurate with my shots and manuver alot to stay alive, I achieve top marks in many of my games.

well, a good meal DOES have some protein, and steak is as good as it gets...
XD

but srsly, nice build!

#153 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 22 September 2014 - 09:34 PM

I need some advice on armor for my 2H(p). :blink:
I have AC10 2tons, Streak2X3 2 tons, 1medL. jjx2, 275STD

#154 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:53 AM

View PostFEK315, on 22 September 2014 - 09:34 PM, said:

I need some advice on armor for my 2H(p). :blink:
I have AC10 2tons, Streak2X3 2 tons, 1medL. jjx2, 275STD

AC/10 (3 tons), SRM4 x2 (2 tons), 1 ER LL, 280 XL, 3x JJ, 336/370 armour. Could also do SRM6 with Artemis (1.5 tons) and put some armour back on. Streaks aren't bad if you're hunting lights, but really if you want to do that go grab the 2D2 and go with an LB-10/X and 4 Streaks. If you're trying to deal with larger mechs having standard SRMs gives a better punch for finishing cored mechs.

#155 FEK315

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 337 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

That sounds like a great build! Do you have a map of the armor, like the spec numbers for each section?
EX:
Left arm 27
Core front 38, back 16.

Can't wait to build this, thank you B)

#156 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

I certainly enjoy it. This is what I use for armour values.

Since here's nothing in the left arm you can strip off half a ton of armour and not worry too much. Some might want to take off more, but I like to have a bit of armour there for shielding. If you don't care about a shield arm you can take off more to cover the legs & right arm back up, or take some of the head. Another option as I said above is to go with an SRM6 with Artemis with 1.5t of ammo which would give you half a ton of armour (16 points) to use.

Edited by ShadowbaneX, 23 September 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#157 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 September 2014 - 08:46 AM

Since I literally have them all now (Shadowhawks) I run each with a bit of a different Mix.

Right now my Favorite is the 5M , followed closely by the 2D2. (I'll have to do an actual build so you can see, this is going off memory).

SH-5M
2 x AC/5 (180rds)
3 x Streak (300 Missiles)
2 x ML
AMS w/ 1.5t ammo
XL240 or 245 I believe

My Logic is while being a fast striker is fun, I use my BJ's for that. So I'd rather trade speed and pair up with the heavies or assaults and lend my fire support. The streaks are there to keep the pesky lights away from my beloved Whales.

For the 2D2 Build.

XL240
1 x AC/10 (can't remember ammo count)
3 x LRM/5
2 x ML

I figure it gives me a good mix, since there is such an abundance of LRM's, and Maps like Alpine and Tourmoline where I might not get into a closer brawl, this gives me a chance to both support with indirect fire, and then hammer once the engagement range closes.
So Far, they have been my most successful SHD Builds.

-ST

#158 greeeef

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 03:55 PM

This is my favourite Shad at the moment

SHD-2H

uac5 and 2 x ac2, XL280, 3 x jj

It plays as a good support and finishing mech. Works well as a sniper, great fun to flank individual mechs who are enagaged, can also be used to support a light push because of the speed and jump jets. Best score I have posted was 814 from memory, usually gets me around 4-500 damage, but someone who is a better shot than me...

If you aim each shot, you will usually get your full alpha, and if you hold fire when engaging for a time period, you wont jam.

#159 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 26 September 2014 - 07:57 AM

I always end up going back to my AC Heavy Hawk.
2AC5's, 1 AC2, 2JJ, XL235, 7 Tons of ammo.
SHD-ACHeavy

AC2 plinks while the 2 AC5's slam. It's a beast and lots of mechs back off from it.
If I'm playing bad or up against some tougher competition I pull off a ton of ammo and up the armor in the legs and arms.

#160 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 September 2014 - 06:38 PM

I am not the best Pilot, but I have watched the better ones.
Everytime I die, its my fault. And I learn.
Well today, in a Shadowhawk I finally had my first 1000+ dmg game,
Ended the round with no LRM's, and 2 AC shells left.

http://i1177.photobu...zpsbe521b0d.jpg

Loadout:

2 x AC2 (4 Ton's Ammo)
3 x LRM5 (3 Ton's Ammo)
1 x ML
BAP
XL255

It was, a great Run.

-ST

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users