Best Shadowhawk Build

166 replies to this topic

#81 Tooooonpie

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 08:52 AM

View Postfocuspark, on 18 November 2013 - 08:26 AM, said:

AC20 in the side-torso means no XL. Using a STD engine means less of everything else.
Agreed, but with a STD you can still have:

Near identical speed (literally 1 within them)
2 MMlas
Max JJ
Ability to use your right ST to absorb damage

#82 Mercer Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 248 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:18 AM

The Love/Hate relationship I have with the Shadowhawk is that it's such a darn adaptable rig. Highly, and I mean highly, customizable, and easily fits to anyone's play style (Only exceptions I guess would be dedicated Heavy and Assault pilots).

Currently, all three of my variants are running some flavor of this. LBX + Streak = scraping Lights off of the heavier bulk of your force. A couple of unit mates run the 2H(P) with the Triple AC2, AC2x2/AC5, A/C-10, Gauss, and what is consistent, is that all of our damage usually evens out over the course of a few matches.

For some, 'wasted' hardpoints isn't such a moral dilemma, for me though, meta be damned, I'm not running anything that doesn't have something in every available slot. Most times, it amounts to a lot of small damage that accumulates over time, as opposed to big damage up front (Risk vs Reward and all that).

All that for one simple point (*Opinion); The SHD really just does not have one 'end all' build. It has many, many awesome builds.

#83 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostTooooonpie, on 18 November 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

Agreed, but with a STD you can still have:

Near identical speed (literally 1 within them)
2 MMlas
Max JJ
Ability to use your right ST to absorb damage

True. But with all SHD nearing mastery, I have to say that I lose my CT far more frequently than I do any other body part. I'd estimate something like 75% of matches where I'm "killed" is due to CT loss; 20% due to ST loss; and 10% loss of both legs. Once I lost my head to dual gauss.

The SHD feels a lot like the Kintaro and Centurion: the CT + arms are disproportionately large and shields the ST well.

#84 juxstapo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 09:40 AM

Arm mounted ac20 + jj = the happy for me

#85 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 11:43 AM

My three:

SHD-2D2
SHD-2H
SHD-5M

#86 Mike Oakenwall - the khadoran

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 November 2013 - 07:18 AM

My 2

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d56e9b4aac99ac

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...300b31cb35270fd

2D2 : ac10, 2xmlaser, 3xsrm4 : works well and came naturally to me
2H : 3xMG, 2xsrm6, 1xsrm4, ERLLaser : This one i got after checking this board, it really does work well, wasnt having to much luck with the ac2.

Edited by deanon, 23 November 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#87 gobifire

• Pip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 19 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 14 December 2013 - 10:07 AM

I really like my Shadowhawk 2H build.
Standard engine 275,
Lrg Pulse Laser,
2x SRM6,
1x SRM4,
2 Tons of Ammo,
CASE,
2x Jumpjets.

Its wonderful for hunting light mechs (pulse laser),
but you can also do pretty much damage to other weightclasses,
I did some great matches with it!

#88 Scochev Apeslayer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:23 PM

I'm building this as my first Mech.....I wanted to feel like a Phract 4X without the liabilities + jumping!

Dakkahawk:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9c4ed7d60569bf

#89 FireSlade

• 1,174 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:30 PM

View PostScochev Apeslayer, on 16 December 2013 - 05:23 PM, said:

I'm building this as my first Mech.....I wanted to feel like a Phract 4X without the liabilities + jumping!

Dakkahawk:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f9c4ed7d60569bf

Why not. It is pretty close in damage output to a 4AC5 but faster and can jump. The only downside to AC2s is the heat and 11DHS might not be able to keep up especially on Terratherma

#90 Scochev Apeslayer

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

To avoid heat, I think I'll try this instead, an Indoorsman video included. Fun stuff!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...265f4cbf0d3bab4

and

#91 JRR1285

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 78 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 18 December 2013 - 04:13 PM

Anyone else ending up with different tonnage totals in game compared to Smurfy?

I cannot build this 'mech for the life of me. I have never had an issue with this before. I feel like the reduction I should have received from ferro and endo didn't register right. I'm really at a loss.

Here is the build:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b9cc89cd2067a8

Edited by JRR1285, 18 December 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#92 O F F - W H I T E

• PipPip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I've been getting monster kills and damage with all my shawks. It's an incredible mech. Here's my loadouts:

SHD 5H:
STD260
Endo
FF Armour
DHS
1x JJ

AC 20
SRM 4
Mlas

SHD 2d2
XL275
Endo
DHS
B.A.P.
2x JJ

4x SSRM
Mlas
LBX10

SHD 5M
XL275
Endo
DHS
2x JJ

AC10
2x ERLL
AMS (Optional, if you have extra weight)

Edited by Ninja Chop, 21 December 2013 - 02:24 PM.

#93 LordBraxton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

AC\5
3 tons ammo
AC\2
AC\2
4 tons ammo
Mlas

Xl280
10DHS
Endo

I still can't top this build, I live at the 300-500m range bracket and DPS the frack out of anything that looks at my buddies the wrong way

(swapping for an ultra gives better DPS, but I've gotten much better at positioning myself so that return fire is minimal anyway, and after 5 or 6 seconds the AC5 becomes the higher DPS weapon)

Edited by LordBraxton, 21 December 2013 - 04:04 PM.

#94 Zemo Kerensky

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:21 AM

Still yet to buy my first Mech so I would like to know if this looks like a solid brawler for a medium with a standard engine?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...708f47144a206cd

Or this with an XL (Mine will be a 275 of course).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3de0f6f6df02701

Edited by Zemo Kerensky, 23 December 2013 - 11:22 AM.

#95 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 23 December 2013 - 12:37 PM

Not the best but a fun LRM build.
2D2 with LRM30, BAP, 2mL, 2JJ's, 6t of LRM ammo, XL340. 100kph without ST.
Adv sensor range and Adv target decay.
Fun when played right.
SHD-2D2-LRM build

More armor, less speed.
SHD-2D2-LRM build with armor

Edited by CygnusX7, 24 December 2013 - 05:31 AM.

#96 Mergatroid Skittle

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 65 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 01 November 2013 - 10:32 AM, said:

Hitting 81 kph for a medium is actually quite fast. The average speed for a medium is 64.8 kph. MWO gives us all stupid levels of customization and weight savings so it's easier to go faster, but really, 91 or 97.1 are as fast as you need to go. The SHD has the tonnage and the armour to survive the damage, you're not a light that needs to max out their speed just to have a hope of surviving.

I have another opinion about the importance of speed. Not only can it help you "survive" by outmaneuvering other 'mechs, it helps you stay engaged in battles. This is important because if you are not dealing damage (or drawing fire, or capping, or somehow supporting with TAG, NARC etc) then you are basically a waste of space on the battlefield. By sacrificing fire power for speed, you should be making up for it by staying engaged in battles and supporting areas of the map that need fire support.

I think this is a hugely underrated aspect of speed that many forget about. People seem to think that speed is only useful for moving around enemy 'mechs in close range and avoiding enemy fire.

#97 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:03 PM

I'm not entirely sure that you're staying engaged in battles, more like that additional speed helps you get to other fights once your targets are gone. Still, I think that keeping in the 270-300 range is plenty of speed for a 55 ton mech. Going up to 340-360 in a 55 ton mech just seems like too much tonnage dedicated to speed as opposed to weapons.

#98 mack sabbath

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,073 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUSA

Posted 24 December 2013 - 05:54 PM

Once SRM's do what the paper numbers say they do to the other guy, this thing will hurt, blind someone on a dark map, and cockpit shake like an AC/10 chain firing on non-AMS CT's or heads!

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4780c5b4254963a

*** edited for a severed finger tendon typo....again.

Edited by Die Primate Die, 24 December 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#99 Rekkless

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 10:12 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c926b4cc8320ac8

IMO hands down the best design for the 2h. Gives you extremely high dps at all ranges. You take a lot less damage than you think you might in the open as long as you are only fighting one mech b/c the ac2 is constantly shaking their screen. Just dont miss and keep moving in different directions and they have a VERY hard time hitting you. The 2x ac5 gives you MUCH better punch for those times when you cant sit in the open and blaze away, Use those high hit boxes to peek over the top of a ridge, fire 1 shot back down and do it again 2 sec later at a slightly different spot. The biggest advantage over triple ac2 or 2x ac2 1x ac5 is that this mech will never overheat except on the very hottest maps. 1x ac2 2x ac5 has the best ammo situation and also rarely overheats but does overheat on any map and relatively quickly on terra therma/inferno etc. Triple ac2 is straight inferior from what i've found. I've had many 1k + damage matches including one that was jsut <1300 damage with 7 kills and 5 assists.

You can not just charge into the fight on this mech. Fight from the edges behind cover. Line up your shots and dont miss every shot counts if you want to be effective. You die MUCH faster if you aren't shaking their screen. If multiple mechs are shooting at you you need to reposition unless you are the last mech on the field. Let someone else be the bait you are the killer.

#100 Aztec Mech 01

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 02:36 AM

Mastered the Atlas, Jagger, Spider and moved to..... Shadowhawk ;))
In my opinion this is not a beginners mech. Once you do know to move and aim, and also know the maps this is a great mech to play with. Specially because it has so many possible setups. and the high ballistic mount.
XL will never be an issue as long as you move and understand you are not an Assault to tank the enemy. And for this mech is of big help because the weight saving.

I now have elited all 3 chasis and the most fun and good results i had with
XL300
3MG
2 SRM6+1SRM4 chainfire
1 ER LL
2T MG ammo + 3T SRM ammo, maxed armor, DHS, Endo.

I use Advanced Zoom + ER LL just for the kill assists and long range annoyance.
I use Adv seismic for awareness. Mobility is the key so I don't approve on removing any of the JJ.

Unloading the SRMs in the back of an atlas while firing the 3 MGs is one of the best thrills of this game. :lol:)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users