Salvage + Blackjack = Yay?

15 replies to this topic

Poll: Salvage + Blackjack = Yay? (20 member(s) have cast votes)

Blackjack for Salvage distribution

1. Yes (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. No (16 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Draco Argentum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:36 AM

I assume everyone would like to see salvage in the game. Its a multiplayer game though so we need some way to divide the salvage up amongst the players after a mission. We could roll dice like an MMO, but whats the fun in that?

I can see mercenary mechwarriors playing cards to divvy up the spoils. So how about a round of blackjack after a match with the highest score getting the best component and so on until all the kit is distributed.

Blackjack is fast so it won't add a big delay. Its still random so everyone should get a fair shot at getting some bits. It also lets the players interact with the salvage system so its more fun than a simple dice roll.

#2 Qin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:49 AM

How about the salvage goes to the unit. And with that they can reconstruct mechs.

Salvage a leg here a torso there, and eventually you will have a salvaged mech in the regiments hangar. The regiment then can sell it off, or loan it to a member or even give it to somebody.

#3 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

And what happens with the casual or lone wolf player in a squad 'cos it was there when they wanted to play? I think that maybe they could have a number of mechanisms depending on wether you were part of a formal "unit" or not.

#4 Naughtyboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2011 - 04:01 AM

as for salvage ...depends on contract..most contracts involving clantech the house offering the contract usually do not let mercs keep any of the clantech but wahtever other stuff..expendebles and such they manage to loot...so should be a part with negotiations over how the contract should be.

#5 DRP

Rookie

• 8 posts
  • LocationFort Hood Texas

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:06 AM

i agree with the concept of the salvaged materials being owned by the unit, not one member.
and if you play lone wolf, you are the unit, so its owned solely by you.

Edited by DRP, 12 November 2011 - 06:07 AM.

#6 Rustic Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 252 posts
  • LocationCastile Central HQ

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:36 AM

I'd prefer a system where, after the salvage is calculated, the pilot who has done more damage to the enemy that that piece of equipment was from, can pay and gain it or pass, and then the second that most contributed to the kill has the same choice. Additionaly, there should be a salvage cap, so that it doesn't become a plain "I TAKE ALL" thing. Imagine you have a truck and can only make a run before the battlefield becomes dangerous again/has been cleaned by the victor House.

#7 GI Journalist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Major
  • Senior Major
  • 595 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:01 AM

Every unit is going to have its own way of calculating salvage. I think players will appreciate having options. For instance, in a straight slugging match, it might make sense to divvy salvage by who got the kill or did the most damage. But what if I'm piloting the light recon Mech? The company may want to reward me for finding them 'Mechs to kill. Plus, I'm the one most likely to lose my 'Mech from a lucky or skilled hit from the enemy.

#8 Silent

• 1,207 posts
  • LocationButte Hold

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:13 AM

I do like a game of blackjack, but I think salvage should be collected by the side as a whole and pooled together. If you're part of a House then it goes towards the House, if you're part of a Merc Company then it goes towards the Company. As you repair your Mechs it then dips into that resource pool.

#9 Exilyth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

Op obviosly never heard about Vierer-Drax, otherwise he wouldn't have suggested blackjack.

#10 Kaemon

• 1,924 posts
  • LocationMN

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:38 AM

restrict salvage to Clan/Team battles, then have options if you hire a merc to pay 'with salvage' or 'with C-bills' based on their performance (this will have to be done at the server level to keep people from skimping on payments).

So if the merc downs 3 mechs, gets a few achievements in game (i.e. sharp shooter, steel wall,) they get more salvage or $.

If they hide in a hole the whole fight, they get nothing.

#11 Redtail

• PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

I like the card play idea for a basic mechanic, but I'd almost go with Polish Poker and a 3-second swap-or-stand timer.

#12 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:25 AM

Simple.. the game checks what was trashed and creates loot from this information for every player individualy... kinda like a loot table but everyone takes a roll and people can end up getting the same stuff.

Also i dont think salvaging entire mechs is a good idea for the games economics because that would make aquiring new mechs very fast and very easy... and piranha wants you to spend your hard earned cash on their product XD

Thought as a gamer i would love to salvage entire mechs and either sell the scraps or micromanage it back to full health XD

Also i think the question of salvage will also be based on how available Cbills are in the game.. how much you earn per fight is very important.. cause salvage has to be seen as a bonus and not the main way of earning cash.

Salvage a leg here a torso there, and eventually you will have a salvaged mech in the regiments hangar.

Ooooh.. i somehow like that idea.. let people salvage parts of mechs instead of entire mechs...

Like you have to get all parts of a warhammer first before you can put it together and get it?

Edited by Riptor, 12 November 2011 - 10:28 AM.

#13 Zakatak

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,673 posts
  • LocationCanadastan

Posted 12 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Maybe a shorter card game.

How about 21? You can either, as a team, split up the salvage evenly and then trade as you wish, or play a game of 21 to see who takes it all.

#14 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 12 November 2011 - 11:36 AM

I'd like to see it divided by game type.

For the random group games have repair be a straight c-bill cost, no need to replace specific parts for your average game IMO. Make it a bit more complex for the planet conquer games (which seem to be units only). Perhaps something like he winning unit gets all of it's salvage + a random (or scaling depending on how much they win by?) percent of the losers and all mechs used are locked out of playing another conquer game for a certain amount of time based on how much damage they took to represent repairs (highest for fully cored, absolute lowest would be untouched).

#15 Draco Argentum

• 1,222 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 05:08 PM

View PostExilyth, on 12 November 2011 - 07:38 AM, said:

Op obviosly never heard about Vierer-Drax, otherwise he wouldn't have suggested blackjack.

I assume this is an in universe card game? As long as its really quick and the rules are simple even better. Remember that the idea is something fast and easy to pick up. If it takes too long it'll become an annoying chore after every match.

All the guys commenting about unit based salvage are missing the point. Units can do whatever they want when they play an organised match. You only need a random system to determine salvage for pub matches where the players on a team don't know each other from a bar of soap.

Damage based salvage is a definate non-starter, light mechs would get screwed every time and the game would be AssaultMechWarrior Online in no time.

#16 Qin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 186 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Another option

Let each drop have at leased a few spare parts. With 4 on 4 say 1 or 2 parts, with 12 on 12 say 4 to 6 parts.
Divide each mech is say a part or 20. That you need to collect. Make parts trade-able, and or some auction house to sell it.
Once you got all the parts together you can then hire a team of techs to put it together for say half price.

Say an atlas would cost you 20 million C-bills, once you got all the parts the techs will build it for 10 million.

Depending on how hard you make it to collect the parts you could drop the price to rebuild it to lower.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users