The Locust Is Huge

25 replies to this topic

#1 mikelat

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

The locust was the only phoenix mech I was looking forward to and it's basically the same size as the 35t jenner. By this screenshot it certainly doesn't look like there's 15t of difference between these mechs (I'm even half a step ahead compared to my friend)

When you have no armour as a 20t mech you basically depend upon your agility and small frame to get you out of situations. I expected it to be smaller than the spider which with that mech its very difficult to pick out the component you want to destroy making the spider hard to kill (that, and lots of hit reg issues).

The locust would be viable if it wasn't for the fact it wasn't so huge.

Edited by mikelat, 15 October 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#2 DirePhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 15 October 2013 - 09:55 PM

You know what'

View Postmikelat, on 15 October 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

You know what's huge? THOSE TREES! Sweet Jebus, those things are like skyscrapers, especially when a human only comes up to just above the ankle of those 'mechs. And this is on a planet that's constantly raining acid? Their branches don't even start until at least 4-5 stories up!

#3 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:17 PM

And, more seriously (though props to DP's valid and amusing point)... Look at the volume difference between the locust and Jenner. Its nearly half the size.

Oh, wait.

#4 IceLom

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:38 PM

It looks way smaller then the Jenner, not sure what you are smoking op.

#5 GODzillaGSPB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,028 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:15 AM

View Postmikelat, on 15 October 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Posted Image

The locust was the only phoenix mech I was looking forward to and it's basically the same size as the 35t jenner. By this screenshot it certainly doesn't look like there's 15t of difference between these mechs (I'm even half a step ahead compared to my friend)

Funniest post I've seen about the Locust, yet. First it is considerable smaller, when taking every single piece in consideration. Torso, arms, legs, all tiny compared to the Jenner. Only the spider is smaller, this thing is tiny³. But I guess people complain about everything...

#6 jtyotJOTJIPAEFVJ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 12:38 AM

The locust only comes up to the hip of a Jager. It's really small. Also the CT is not the whole robot unlike in a Jenner. The sides of its CT are actually side torsos, meaning the torso is closer to that of a stalker. So it's certainly not huge. It also seemed rather survivable in the one round I had time to test it.

#7 DarkDevilDancer

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,108 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 02:39 AM

People really are hell bent on moaning about everything aren't they.

#8 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:07 AM

The size is good. No problems there.

#9 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

use them! Posted Image

Edited by SgtMagor, 16 October 2013 - 03:31 AM.

#10 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

The locust is skinnier than the jenner. It's not as stocky even in your pic OP.

#11 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:58 AM

Diagnosis: http://en.wikipedia....erland_syndrome

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:04 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 15 October 2013 - 09:55 PM, said:

You know what'

You know what's huge? THOSE TREES! Sweet Jebus, those things are like skyscrapers, especially when a human only comes up to just above the ankle of those 'mechs. And this is on a planet that's constantly raining acid? Their branches don't even start until at least 4-5 stories up!

I know your reply was tongue in cheek, but this actually really annoys me and is the one thing in the game that breaks immersion for me the most. The Mechs simply do not feel tall, the sense of scale in whole game is hilariously off and no I don't care whether it would have been difficult to design cover otherwise I want better map design, damn it!

#13 Johnny05

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:09 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 October 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

I know your reply was tongue in cheek, but this actually really annoys me and is the one thing in the game that breaks immersion for me the most. The Mechs simply do not feel tall, the sense of scale in whole game is hilariously off and no I don't care whether it would have been difficult to design cover otherwise I want better map design, damn it!

That's what I'm always thinking when I see vegetation in this game. Small shrubs are 4 stories high!

#14 Middcore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 258 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:13 AM

Realistically they probably couldn't make it much smaller without running into the same sort of hitbox issues that make the Spider a pain in the *** (a pain in the *** they seem uninterested in fixing).

#15 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 October 2013 - 07:04 AM, said:

Actually it wasn't that tongue in cheek, it's the first time I actually stopped and thought about those trees. Usually when I'm on that map, I'm not even seeing those trees (for the forest), I'm too focused on the mechs inside them, or shooting things through the forest. I mean I knew they were larger than normal scale but it wasn't a thing I thought about until looking at that picture.

#16 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:06 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 16 October 2013 - 07:40 AM, said:

Actually it wasn't that tongue in cheek, it's the first time I actually stopped and thought about those trees. Usually when I'm on that map, I'm not even seeing those trees (for the forest), I'm too focused on the mechs inside them, or shooting things through the forest. I mean I knew they were larger than normal scale but it wasn't a thing I thought about until looking at that picture.

It's always bothered me, and as mentioned even small shrubs are positively gargantuan in nature. Rocks and 'pebbles' suffer similar problems and exactly how friggin' huge is the vegetation overhang in the Forest Colony cave? :/

#17 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 16 October 2013 - 08:06 AM, said:

It's always bothered me, and as mentioned even small shrubs are positively gargantuan in nature. Rocks and 'pebbles' suffer similar problems and exactly how friggin' huge is the vegetation overhang in the Forest Colony cave? :/

I don't think it's too far out to imagine guerrilla infantry rappelling down vines of ivy...

#18 mikelat

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Just for reference fellas, the difference in size between the jenner and hunchback (35t vs 50t) should be the difference between the jenner and the locust (35t vs 20t). There's a 15t difference between both of the chassis.

View PostGaslight, on 16 October 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

Realistically they probably couldn't make it much smaller without running into the same sort of hitbox issues that make the Spider a pain in the *** (a pain in the *** they seem uninterested in fixing).

If they're making mech design choices based upon bugs in their engine then maybe they should fix the bugs in the game.

Edited by mikelat, 17 October 2013 - 09:08 PM.

#19 Dexter Herbivore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 241 posts
  • LocationPerth WA

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

You can run underwater in the deeper areas of Crimson Straight, and if you can get an LRM mech firing at you it wastes every round they fire. That's small enough for me. Plus we possibly need room to make the Flea even smaller.

#20 mikelat

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:28 PM

View PostDexter Herbivore, on 17 October 2013 - 09:24 PM, said:

You can run underwater in the deeper areas of Crimson Straight, and if you can get an LRM mech firing at you it wastes every round they fire. That's small enough for me. Plus we possibly need room to make the Flea even smaller.

The flea is 20t too, how does it even make sense that it would be "smaller"? Do they put lead in some mechs and helium in others?

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users