13 replies to this topic

#1 Vela Ventare

• PipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

Is it just me or does it seem like the Cockpit on the Battlemaster is too easy to hit? I've only had the mech for 2 days and It's already been destroyed by headshots more than any other mech i've ever piloted, after 2 days! I don't know if that would be caused by the hitbox size simply being larger than average, or due to some kind of hit detection issue (ei. CT hits registering ot the head, when they shouldn't), but if its the size, and that size was intentional, can you guys please maybe rethink it a little? It's kind of rediculous, right now.
Havn't seen anyone else talk about this, is it just because there are fewer of us with this mech, or is this issue not being experienced by everyone?

#2 moses84

Rookie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 01:35 PM

I havent noticed it in my battlemaster-1g but ive been killed by headshot every drop in my BLR-1D. So i can confirm your post.

#3 Jairn

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 October 2013 - 04:37 PM

Yes, while not killed by a headshot I always take head dmg every match. More so than most other mechs I have run and I have only ran this mech for a few days. In fact the first match I ran the first dmg I took was directly to the head for a critical flashing red light reward until the end of the match.

#4 Nonsequitur

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 16 October 2013 - 08:15 PM

Yeah, I would say there is definitely something amiss. In the past year, I can count the number of times I've been head shot with one hand but just last night my BLR-1G was head shot twice. I'm also ending more than half of my matches with head damage.

#5 Ironwithin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 October 2013 - 11:06 PM

The BLR has the same "problem" as the Catapult, but less severe.

The cockpit is only slightly above centre mass and that's where people aim most of the time.
Additionally, at least on the Phoenix-variant, the cockpit has this rather bright blue hue, making it easy to identify even at long range.

Torso-twisting helps. Just play accordingly.

#6 Vela Ventare

• PipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 32 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 October 2013 - 09:50 AM

Well it makes me feel better that I wasn't just matched against headshot experts through some statistical fluke, but I'm not sure "playing through it" is really going to help unless somehting about it is addressed. After all, the catapult garnered its notorious rep as being easy to headshot because the hitbox was in fact larger than average and had to be fixed. Usually when this stuff is easy to recognize by having a far and away above average strike count against the component, it has to do with more than simply the hitbox location...

Edited by Vela Terentius, 17 October 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#7 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:05 AM

Honestly, I have no idea if the hitbox is too big or not. I do know "doing the twist" helps not being headshot.

I was shot in the teeth once in my shiny new Battlemaster, on the first or second game with it even. Then I shot another BLR in his window right after that, by mere coincidence at long range, just aiming at his center (well slighlty higher apparently).

The advice still stands though, don't look 'em in the face like it's a staring-contest and you will notice the rate of headshots dropping.

Edited by Ironwithin, 18 October 2013 - 11:28 PM.

#8 braddon85

Rookie

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 18 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

I've run nothing but the 1G since the release and have yet to die from a head shot (I run 12 armor in the head for all my mechs since I hardly take damage there). Perhaps I have yet to be matched with anyone with a penchant for head :)

Edit: actually now that I think of it, it could just be put down to my ping (being on the other side of the world) and so they may be aiming for my head but actually hit everywhere else? But then, ping wouldn't matter a whole lot VS an assault because they're generally big, bulky, slow moving anyway...?

Edited by braddon85, 18 October 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#9 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 20 October 2013 - 01:24 AM

Came looking for a thread on this issue. I feel it is on the large side. Most games stray fire gets it to yellow. If anyone actually goes for the cockpit it's an instant death.

Similar to the founders atlas bug I think. Some people seem to know about the big hit box and are aiming there.

I'm going to start shooting BLR's in the face and see how many I can finish off with cockpit shots. If I can get even one or two then there is definitely an issue.

#10 Dirty Old Man

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 03:20 AM

I have not experience the head shots constantly, its about as easy as any other assaults. I really enjoy the Battlemaster chassis a great deal.

Thanks PGI !

#11 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 27 October 2013 - 09:49 PM

The cockpit on the battlemaster should be investigated

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

The issue here isn't the size of the hitbox, but the angle of it. It is in fact no larger than most of the head hit boxes, and just a smidgen larger than the Cataphract's head hitbox (which happens to be one of the smallest in the game).

Here, the blue is the head hitbox. The uncolored is mainly CT (unless you're **** and say "omg there's a shoulder!").

Posted Image

So why is this position a problem? Two reasons, unlike most hitboxes of large mechs, this one is super easy to hit from a tiny mech at your feet. Like literally it's an effortless shot by a Locust that's standing 2 meters in front of you.

In comparison most assault mechs require the enemy shooting at your head to be over 100 meters to be able to touch your cockpit at an appropriate angle.

An example being the Atlas. Can't even touch it (as a Jenner) without being at least 60 meters back. Damage gets spread quite a bit if you're closer.

Stalker, got to be able to see that tiny thing (which twice the hitbox width of the Battlemaster mind you) on top of its head which means for a Jenner you're at least 90 meters back. To hit it accurately it's got to be 100 meters or more away.

But the angle of the Battlemaster has it so you can hit it from at his feet.

Here, this time in pink, is where the Battlemaster head hitbox is located and what it encompasses as seen from inside the cockpit with an FOV of 100.
Posted Image

Basically a "headshot" here hits your dashboard after breaking through the only transparent steel that will NOT lead to you as the pilot. Now if the required crosshair was instead the larger panel above it, yes the hitbox would be larger but much harder for smaller mechs to hit and thus you wouldn't die as often from headshots.

Though to be perfectly honest if you move that's about impossible to hit anyway, as with each step the Battlemaster's head moves left and right about 2 meters. You're only easy to hit when stationary. Try moving.

#13 Kamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 234 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:41 AM

I seriously thought that this thread was about Battlemasters non-existing head hitbox.

Almost 100 matches in the Båttlemaster variants and never have I been killed by head shot. The thing has massive CT hit box and most players run XL-engines but you managed to get killed by head shot? Wtf?

#14 The Black Knight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 160 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:10 AM

I have play a lot in my battlemasters (all 3) since their debut, and I have only died from a headshot once. I will say though that since closed beta I have only been killed from a headshot maybe five or six times. So with head shots being so rare for me I can't say for sure if the battlemasters head is huge, but it might be. I do think I take head damage more often in it and I think Koniving has a good idea as to why.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users