Newsflash - Spider Hitboxes Still Atrocious, Hitreg On Them With Ballistics Is Around 30%

7 replies to this topic

#1 Chavette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:10 PM

I know, I know, we all know this since 2-3 months ago, but the problem is still here, therefore this thread should too.

Edited by Chavette, 26 October 2013 - 03:11 PM.

#2 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:37 PM

They have top men working on the problem......who, you ask?......Top...Men... Shades of" Raiders of the Lost Ark ".

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:55 PM

It is known to them that Hit Registration is not working right, especially with missiles and Ballistics. They are working on it, but it is a very deep and well hidden code. They last stated it could be a while.

Till then, don't blame the spider, as you can't rightly know if it's the Spider or the bad Hit Reg mechanic. (Spider is the thinnest mech around, so it only mechs sense that hit reg problems would show more on it.)

#4 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 05:51 PM

View PostTesunie, on 26 October 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

It is known to them that Hit Registration is not working right, especially with missiles and Ballistics. They are working on it, but it is a very deep and well hidden code. They last stated it could be a while.

Till then, don't blame the spider, as you can't rightly know if it's the Spider or the bad Hit Reg mechanic. (Spider is the thinnest mech around, so it only mechs sense that hit reg problems would show more on it.)

I beg to differ.. Hit Reg is worst for Lasers at close range along with missiles. Less problems with ballistics.

#5 Burning Chrome

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 248 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

View PostTesunie, on 26 October 2013 - 07:55 PM, said:

Are you serious? "Don't blame the Spider"? Sure, this game's HitReg sucks as bad as its ECM and mech scaling, but the Spider itself is a problem.

Last night, I was driving a TBT-5N on Tourmaline and caught a Spider in the open and landed 4 solid volleys of LRM10 w/Artemis. Hardly scratched him...think I got 2% dmg. BS.

Much later in the game, while assisting a BLR-1G the same spider came around a rise/corner and got stuck in front of both of us. He was at 56% "health". Both the BLR-1G and I come to a halt and open fire with lasers at about 98km. I have 3 MLs, the BLR-1G is firing what looks to be at least 3 LLs, SRMS and a few mediums. We're shooting the Spider in the back. On my FOURTH salvo of 3 MLs to the same location, I get the kill. Together, we must have nearly 200+ dmg into the Spider's rear torso before it died. A stuck, stationary Spider survived longer than any other mech would have.

"Don't blame the Spider."

Right...

#6 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 06:50 AM

View PostBurning Chrome, on 28 October 2013 - 04:59 AM, said:

Are you serious? "Don't blame the Spider"? Sure, this game's HitReg sucks as bad as its ECM and mech scaling, but the Spider itself is a problem.

Last night, I was driving a TBT-5N on Tourmaline and caught a Spider in the open and landed 4 solid volleys of LRM10 w/Artemis. Hardly scratched him...think I got 2% dmg. BS.

Much later in the game, while assisting a BLR-1G the same spider came around a rise/corner and got stuck in front of both of us. He was at 56% "health". Both the BLR-1G and I come to a halt and open fire with lasers at about 98km. I have 3 MLs, the BLR-1G is firing what looks to be at least 3 LLs, SRMS and a few mediums. We're shooting the Spider in the back. On my FOURTH salvo of 3 MLs to the same location, I get the kill. Together, we must have nearly 200+ dmg into the Spider's rear torso before it died. A stuck, stationary Spider survived longer than any other mech would have.

"Don't blame the Spider."

Right...

How do you know? How can you tell? Prove it to me that it is "just" a Spider issue.

I've seen videos of a Cataphrat surviving and taking no damage from an entire team shooting at him, for 20 seconds. From all weapon systems. After 20 seconds, then he started to actually take the damaging being shot at him.

I have come across Atlases/Stalkers/Hunchbacks with red CT internals, and blasted into them. Only to die before he did as he wasn't taking the damage. (To name a few.)

I have been shot in the cockpit in my Cicada from a rear shot, because the shot went through my rear armor without hitting anything, and registered as a front "cockpit" hit.

I have my Thunderbolt, with 2 PPCs and 3 med lasers. I shoot the PPCs in chain fire, rapid succession shots. I am finding that, when I shoot them quickly one after another, the second shot tends not to register and seems to do no damage. What mech I shoot at does not matter.

So, I say again, how do we know it is JUST a problem with the Spider? How can you tell, when hit registry and HSR are producing the same described effects on all mechs. Sure, it is more prevalent on the Spider, but do consider it's size compared to all other mechs. It would make sense that a hit registry problem would effect the thinnest mechs the most, and the Spider is the thinnest mech I know of in the game.

Fix HSR and Hit Registration. Then, if the Spider has a problem (which it might, I'm not saying if it does or not yet), any problems with the Spider specifically can be seen and addressed. You can't do that right now because of other problems messing up your test data.

Also, LRMs are not registering their damage correctly, like all missiles at this time. LRMs (and (S)SRMs as well) against a moving target (even a slow moving one) seems to hit mostly with splash damage. LRMs being shot at a fast mech, such as the Spider, will cause very little or no damage, as they tend to out run the explosions of the LRMs, the missiles themselves, or a combo of these. I find, as I tend to use LRMs a lot, that HSR seems to determine where the mech use to be when the missile exploded, but then apply damage a little ahead of where they exploded, leaving only the outer edges of the explosion to deal damage, instead of the direct missile hit. Otherwise, my LRM 30 mechs should be causing 33 (about) damage per volley. I rarely see that much damage personally. (2% damage would sound about right to what I've observed with LRM fire against fast mechs. It seems like they out run the explosions themselves.)

I'm just advocating for a "fix what is the problem that effects all mechs (HSR and Rit Reg), then see what is left" approach. I don't want another PPC incident. Recall that? They fixed PPCs to make them viable in a pre-HSR era. Reduced heat, reduced recycle time, increased projectile speed. They made it so you could almost shoot them twice as much, twice as often and they moved twice as fast. This was to counter the fact that, back then, half your shots didn't hit/register damage properly (lag shield). Then, when HSR came in, they were king of weapons. I don't want that to be the same for the Spider (or any mech/weapon). If they "fix" it now, it will/could cause more undue problems when they do manage to fix HSR and Hit Registration.

#7 rdmgraziel

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 91 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:45 AM

SRMs are really the worst for hit registration imo, especially vs fast-moving targets. Ballistics (which includes PPCs due to the projectile nature) work most of the time, but the damage sometimes goes into the aether, and not just on lights. I had a Dragon Slayer dead to rights yesterday with a cherry red torso who soaked multiple AC10 rounds and SRM volleys seemingly unscathed. Lasers seem to have the best hit registration, but that's because you can drag it across stuff; you're BOUND to hit the target eventually even if the hit registration was completely borked. Hit registration also seems worse on targets that utilize jumpjets regularly in combat. If Spiders didn't jump as often as they do, hits would seem to register better, similar to how they register on Ravens (who also have slender/small torso hitboxes).

As to LRMs vs Lights, Lights can literally outrun LRMs a portion of the time, or at least make a mad dash towards cover, but they have to run DIRECTLY away and need to be I think 300-400 meters out to escape in time. An additional strike against LRMs against lights, the larger the volley the less damage to a smaller target, as the massive volley is by its very nature spreads in flight and spreads its damage across a target.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 07:56 AM

View Postrdmgraziel, on 28 October 2013 - 07:45 AM, said:

As to LRMs vs Lights, Lights can literally outrun LRMs a portion of the time, or at least make a mad dash towards cover, but they have to run DIRECTLY away and need to be I think 300-400 meters out to escape in time. An additional strike against LRMs against lights, the larger the volley the less damage to a smaller target, as the massive volley is by its very nature spreads in flight and spreads its damage across a target.

Or as suggested by other people, run perpendicular (sideways) from the LRMs direction. The LRMs tend to explode harmlessly away from your mech... For whatever reason.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users