19 replies to this topic

#1 990Dreams

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:29 AM

Hey y'all. So while I am familiar with heavies/lights (and somewhat Assault) I have not found a medium that is balanced. I personally feel attracted to the TBT-7K, as I am willing to sacrifice armor for speed and armament. But I'd like to hear feedback from other people ;). So what medium Mech do you think fits me (I would prefer it had good weapon options like the TBT-7K).

#2 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:34 AM

The Hunchback 4SP with 5MLaser and 2x SRM6 with a standard 250 engine is a very fun mech. Great speed and agility with a good punch for any target.

The Shadowhawk with LBX, Streaks, MLaser and 340XL engine going 100kph is quite fun, but easy to leg.

Mediums are always tough to balance with speed/weapons, but they are way better (more fun) fast than they are slow with more guns.
But some people like slow AC20 mediums (Wang, Hunchback, Shadowhawk) going about 70-80kph only.

#3 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:38 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 25 October 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

The Hunchback 4SP with 5MLaser and 2x SRM6 with a standard 250 engine is a very fun mech. Great speed and agility with a good punch for any target.

The Shadowhawk with LBX, Streaks, MLaser and 340XL engine going 100kph is quite fun, but easy to leg.

Mediums are always tough to balance with speed/weapons, but they are way better (more fun) fast than they are slow with more guns.
But some people like slow AC20 mediums (Wang, Hunchback, Shadowhawk) going about 70-80kph only.

70-80 is good for me, but the hard part is getting one with more speed the 64.8. My Jager goes that fast and is just as (if not more) efficient. XLs are also a little touchy, because you can die easily with those (but I don't really care). The other issue is that I want to avoid engine replacement because it is (expensive), and I like my Mechs to be almost ready to use.

#4 kevin roshak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 304 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:41 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...8e0a4ba7e859545
Only medium i have found success in and i too am almost exclusivly an assault/heavy pilot.

#5 MisterPlanetarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 910 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:55 AM

Huncback (4G, 4P and 4SP)

Shadowhawk.

Centurion

These are probably the best mediums right now, especially the shadowhawk.

#6 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 25 October 2013 - 04:59 AM

I have 2 LL, 2 SRM4, and 3 MG on my 7k. It goes 116 with speed tweak (I forget the engine size off the top of my head)
The downside is that the side torsos are like barn doors and it is destroyed rather easily. It needs to stand behind bigger mechs and add firepower, it can't brawl.

Its a decent mech, but I agree that if you want to brawl with a medium a centurion or a hunchback are better.

#7 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:01 AM

What do you mean by "balanced"? Most of the mediums have very specialized roles and the one which are considered "balanced overall" have some pretty bad weaknesses of their own.

Centurions are the bread and butter of mediums and the most "balanced" of all, but the fragile arms limit your weapon choices. Zombie cents are pretty good brawlers but require lots of experience in the chassis to do it right, and you're very disadvantaged in bigger maps.

Hunchbacks all specialize in one thing, but then you lose the hunch inevitably and become useless. 4SP is good on paper, balanced and plenty of hardpoints make it a pretty good brawler. Wonky SRM hit registration takes away your biggest punch though. 4SP also tend to lose their ST's quickly and that means losing half of your firepower as well.

Trebuchets suck at their primary role; being a fast LRM spammer because of their tonnage limitation and how terrible the smaller LRM's are. But they make excellent ML/SSRM/SRM brawlers, especially the jumpjet variants. Though again; in current "snipey" meta, it takes lots of experience to pilot these builds effectively. I'd say Trebs are one of the most balanced mediums, but the current AC/PPC meta and complete lack of ballistics on most variants means they get little use. 7K is the odd one but having its weapons mounted only in torsos mean it can't fight effectively at close range
(and no jumpjets to negate that).

Kintaros are nowhere near "balanced"; they specialize in hunting lights or annoying heavier mechs with screen shake. You'll get great damage output through SSRM2 whoring though.

. . . and your best option comes last; the Shadowhawk. Not only this one capitalizes on current ballistic meta, it also has balanced hitboxes, arm mounted aimed weapons unlike Treb 7K, jumpjets that give you survivability and is also the heaviest and most armored medium. Having hardpoints for all 3 weapon types, it's also the most flexible.

I left Cicada and Blackjack out for "reasons".

Edited by Tahribator, 25 October 2013 - 05:05 AM.

#8 Warge

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  • LocationKiyiv

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 25 October 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

I have not found a medium that is balanced.

Most balanced - Hunchback: 3-6 MLs and AC10/20/Gauss/LBX10/2*LRM10/2*SRM6 for your pleasure. 80-90 km/h with speed tweak.

Edited by Warge, 25 October 2013 - 05:14 AM.

#9 Draconis March

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:02 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 25 October 2013 - 04:34 AM, said:

If your Wang only goes 70-80 kph, you're doing something terribly wrong.

#10 Mogney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 492 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:10 AM

View PostTahribator, on 25 October 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

Trebuchets suck at their primary role; being a fast LRM spammer because of their tonnage limitation and how terrible the smaller LRM's are.

Then you are not doing it right. Sorry but this is completely wrong, Trebs are excellent LRM support mechs.

#11 Red Line Pilot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 05:26 AM

Plenty of fast and good mediums...

How can you get your medium UNDER 60 kph?!

All the HBK are viable. The CN are awesome. Cicada's are nice (well, it is a light in disguise). BJ's make good mechs.

Trebuchets can work too! As LRM support as mentioned. Or as jumping SRM trowing brawlers. That 7K you mentioned can carry an AC20, so it must be a good mech.

Pick any of em :/

As mentioned, most mediums have one role or one task they excel at. Well rounded mediums don't work. They don't have the weight to do everything at an adequate level.

If i had to pick one i'd take either the HBK4-SP(classic 2xSRM6 + 4 MLas) the HBK4-P(9Mlas or 5MLas + 4SLas) the CN9-A (2Mlas 3xSRM6) or the BJ1 (AC20 Mlas JJ)

Edited by Red Line Pilot, 25 October 2013 - 05:26 AM.

#12 Autobot9000

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 October 2013 - 06:53 AM

I think the trebuchets are best as support mechs. Their front is too wide to be used effectively as close range assists. Centurions have a big weakness in their right arm (=main gun=, Hunchbacks similarly but in the right torso. To me most mediums have glaring weaknesses stemming from their model geometry (except mayb Cicada, but that's almost a light). I can not comment on the new mechs (Shadowhawk, Griffin, Wolverine) though. People seem to hvae great success with the Shadowhawk.

#13 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostTahribator, on 25 October 2013 - 05:01 AM, said:

What do you mean by "balanced"? Most of the mediums have very specialized roles and the one which are considered "balanced overall" have some pretty bad weaknesses of their own.

Centurions are the bread and butter of mediums and the most "balanced" of all, but the fragile arms limit your weapon choices. Zombie cents are pretty good brawlers but require lots of experience in the chassis to do it right, and you're very disadvantaged in bigger maps.

Hunchbacks all specialize in one thing, but then you lose the hunch inevitably and become useless. 4SP is good on paper, balanced and plenty of hardpoints make it a pretty good brawler. Wonky SRM hit registration takes away your biggest punch though. 4SP also tend to lose their ST's quickly and that means losing half of your firepower as well.

Trebuchets suck at their primary role; being a fast LRM spammer because of their tonnage limitation and how terrible the smaller LRM's are. But they make excellent ML/SSRM/SRM brawlers, especially the jumpjet variants. Though again; in current "snipey" meta, it takes lots of experience to pilot these builds effectively. I'd say Trebs are one of the most balanced mediums, but the current AC/PPC meta and complete lack of ballistics on most variants means they get little use. 7K is the odd one but having its weapons mounted only in torsos mean it can't fight effectively at close range
(and no jumpjets to negate that).

Kintaros are nowhere near "balanced"; they specialize in hunting lights or annoying heavier mechs with screen shake. You'll get great damage output through SSRM2 whoring though.

. . . and your best option comes last; the Shadowhawk. Not only this one capitalizes on current ballistic meta, it also has balanced hitboxes, arm mounted aimed weapons unlike Treb 7K, jumpjets that give you survivability and is also the heaviest and most armored medium. Having hardpoints for all 3 weapon types, it's also the most flexible.

I left Cicada and Blackjack out for "reasons".

I can sacrifice armor for speed. And I need a good set of weapon hardpoints.

#14 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 25 October 2013 - 08:31 AM

If you're good at torso twisting and know how to use free look then there isn't a ride finer than the hunchback.

Otherwise I'm mighty fond of the centurion especially a 9A splattercent.

#15 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:05 AM

Only real problem is that the Trebs are overscaled. They should be more or less the same size as a Centurion.

#16 Father Tork

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 155 posts

Posted 30 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Trebs were my first mech, and I enjoyed them despite their problems. (HUGE CT and front CT can be hit from the rear)
That being said, the 7k I've had most success with an ERPPC and UAC/5, or 2 PPCs and Machine guns. It's worth putting armor in the arms to use as shields from your side torsos.
PPCs run hot right now, but they allow you to remain long range support, plus they stop ECM when you hit, which helps the other LRM boats.

#17 ohtochooseaname

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 440 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Posted 30 October 2013 - 10:36 AM

View PostDavidHurricane, on 25 October 2013 - 04:29 AM, said:

Hey y'all. So while I am familiar with heavies/lights (and somewhat Assault) I have not found a medium that is balanced. I personally feel attracted to the TBT-7K, as I am willing to sacrifice armor for speed and armament. But I'd like to hear feedback from other people B). So what medium Mech do you think fits me (I would prefer it had good weapon options like the TBT-7K).

A SHD-5M is like a TBT-7K except it's better in every way: it has jump jets, more missile tubes, arm mounted lasers, torso ballistics are at cockpit height, and you can load more stuff on it (with a slight penalty to speed). With speed tweak, it goes 97 kph. IMO, one of the best builds with it is 2 ML, 2 SSRM2's, 1 AC5 and 1 AC2, XL300. Pretty good all around: decent for killing lights, decent for killing assaults, good mobility to be in the action/get out of dodge.

Oh and don't forget: it has much better hitboxes.

Edited by ohtochooseaname, 30 October 2013 - 10:36 AM.

#18 Bront

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 4,212 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 30 October 2013 - 01:27 PM

The Hunchback 4SP or the Shadowhawk are probably the most "Balanced" mediums. The Shadowhawk runs really well with it's stock 10 HS and an XL300 (or for some builds, a standard 275), should go between 80-100 depending on speed tweek, and can carry a good mix of balistics, missiles, and energy weapon(s). It should be coming out for c-bills middle of next month if you're willing to wait.

The Trebuchet (or Treebucket as I affectionately call it) is OK, but I never cared for the hardpoint layouts for it, so I never tried them. Most folks I know who have say it needs the speed.

#19 Arctourus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 05:24 AM

shadowhawks are about the best, but I do love my Treb 7m. My current loadout is fairly balanced...two ALRM10s, an erllas and two slas. I've got a pretty good store of ammunition for the missiles, jump jets, good speed (81 kph I think) and decent punch with the lasers. You can do LRM support when you have clear, good locks, snipe with the erllas when you don't have a lock or the time to get the LRMS to target and the two slas do more damage together than a single medium, fire quicker, but have a much shorter range. Good loadout, but it won't make you the hero or kill leader. It's fun to play though and will teach you to be a better pilot.

#20 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 31 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

I'm gonna wait for the Shadowhawk release (or until I get the money for Phoenix)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users